Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Snapped heatshield stud

veearrsix

Monza
I'm doing a little DIY changing the spark plugs...

Lights out - no problem
Bumper off - no problem
Intercoolers off - still no problem

Coming to removing the aluminium heat shields, they are attached to the chassis by what look like pressed steel nuts.

Once I managed to contort into a position that allowed me some access I have managed to shear one of the small studs off from the chassis (The nut didn't look that badly corroded). Anyway, is this common, whats the usual repair for this? I have stopped trying to remove any more nuts as I did this on the first one. I can just about get access by bending the heat shields up but I didn't want to do this. I am tempted to replace the heat shields as well as the lower mounts have almost rotted through, they had some very large penny washers as a 'fix'. My main issue is the upper stud.

This link to a pelican parts image shows the position of the nuts I'm talking about.

Hi,

I had a similar problem with a heat shield mounting stud.
The pressed steel studs corrode badly and need a lot of heat to ensure they come off without damaging the stud.

I ended up bonding a dax bond in fastener using JB weld (Chemical metal).
$(KGrHqMOKp!E3tTlFCYqBN+HHpm3Bw~~_58.JPG

That looks quite neat, I was thinking of replacing with a rivnut, but this option looks like it could be done without dropping the exhaust (which I don't want to do!! - yet)

I had exactly that happen on mine a few years ago except mine was as I undid the last one, like you I pondered what to do for a while then decided to fit a riv nut as I had good access due to the exhaust being off.

I very carefully drilled a hole in the chassis leg then painted the bare metal, a couple of days later I put a little silicon sealant on the riv nut and fitted it. It worked really well. I've had the heatshields off a couple of times since and there's no sign of any corrosion starting and the 6mm stainless bolt I fitted is dead easy to remove. In fact I wish I'd done all four now!

I also fitted riv nuts to the intercooler brackets at the other end of the heatshields along with rubber washers and stainless bolts and penny washers and again it worked perfectly and is much better than the standard Porsche fittings in my opinion!!

Mac

hmm ..

With the intercoolers off then can you not just lift up that panel .. you dont need to undo it .

Have you dropped down the back of the engine ? that does give you more access .

I also fitted riv nuts to the intercooler brackets at the other end of the heatshields along with rubber washers and stainless bolts and penny washers and again it worked perfectly and is much better than the standard Porsche fittings in my opinion!!

Do you mean where the bottom of the heatshield mounts? (where they tend to disintegrate)

With the intercoolers off then can you not just lift up that panel .. you dont need to undo it .

This is what I have ended up doing, but I now have 1 snapped stud which I can't get access to for repair unless I remove the other one. Plus I was considering replacing the heatshields as they have large holes at the bottom fixings. I know this probably won't make any difference as to how they perform, but its hard for my OCD not to kick in.

Have you dropped down the back of the engine

Nope, not going that far, if I had known a sparkplug change meant dropping the engine I wouldn't have done it.

I think Zub-911 idear is the best one .. i can tell you the proper way to do it though ..

Body shops have a gun that heat welds a new stud onto the chassis but they need to access the area .. engine out would be my guess from looking at it :(

Corrosion at the bottom fixings of those panels is normal and the large washer is the standard fix , .. its our poor weather and salty roads im afraid .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back