Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Making a gear knob fir a 997.

Simon Basil

I just wanted to say thanks for the help I got from you all (especially Robx).

I worked out hot to make a gear knob fit a 997 and wanted to share how it is done for anyone wanting to do it in the future and save them a lot of hassle.

www.imgur.com/a/JmTl3

^Small album showing finished knob and the broach used to make it.

Pretty much I used the dimensions provided by Robx in my original post

Link: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1300872&sid=807dfdb1fdc682f33499404ae135ade6

I made the aluminium insert that goes up inside the knob and tapped it M10 and then milled the slot so it is oversized by 0.2mm to the dimensions that rob provided.

Then I made a broach to take it out to size (I know it is a terribly made tool but it does the job) I used the video a youtuber called clickspring made as a guide (Link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYI1slVGziU). The broach is needed so it has 90 degree corners rather than than the 3mm radius left by the milling cutter.

The rest of the process is pretty much the same as the other knobs I make

Album with text: www.imgur.com/a/SBJn4

Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPOAFYOaK-c

The M10 thread is to hold it on the lathe when turning.

Once again thanks to you guys because it would have not been possible without your help.

Here is my instagram if you want to look at some of the other knobs I have made www.instagram.com/builtbybasil/?hl=en

Simon

Good effort! interesting reading up your linked report! :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back