Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Gen 2 Exhaust upgrade!

easternjets

Paul Ricard
Having had my new Gen 2 for all of 3 weeks, I decided that I wanted to upgrade the exhaust to a Kline system.
The only thing that put me off was having to remove/replace the entire system and possibly have to have the car remapped. I wasn't looking for more bhp just a better sound, crikey I have 500 so why look for an extra few %.

So I looked at ways of improving the sound without removing the standard system and possibly being able to put the car back to standard if I decided to sell it.
Then I saw the Shark Werks silencer delete pipes come up for sale last week so I bought them and they arrived yesterday, so today as the weather was good I thought I'd have a go at swapping the old for the new.

As the Gen 2 system is modular I thought it might be an easy job, well it isn't that straight forward. firstly one of the cats has to come off to allow the old silencer to come away and the new pipes to go on.

So after removing the bumper cover, lights, and the D/S intercooler I got access to the 'cat' and then had the task of getting the rusting nuts off, they weren't too badly rusted so I could get a ring spanner onto them and after a couple of 'taps' with a chisel they freed off and gave up the fight.
Only small problem was I snapped one of the exhaust clamp bolts so that'll have to be replaced tomorrow.
Anyway I got the old silencer box off and the new pipes on. Then I reassembled the car and started her up.

It sounds great! Nice rumble at idle and not too loud, the 'cats' soak up a lot of the sound and the turbo's the rest. I haven't taken it out for a run yet but if I can get hold of a Go-pro I will try and make a video of it on a run.
Attached are some before and after pics.
Only thing I will say is it seems a lot of money for two bits of exhaust pipe!

Pics.

Attachments

• shark_werks_pipes_127.jpg
    shark_werks_pipes_127.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 3,071
  • original_silencer_239.jpg
    original_silencer_239.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,071
Nice job Nick , it does look louder :) as long as its not louder than mine :grin:

Cant wait to hear a vid Nick, looks the biz mate . :thumb:

KP964 said:
Nice job Nick , it does look louder :) as long as its not louder than mine :grin:

My neighbours were seeing me do the work and realising what I was doing they didn't look too impressed, Sunday morning 7.00 we'll see if they're still speaking to me!

Ooh err, looks noisy. What's the cabin drone like on a constant throttle?

And btw, you do need more poke. It's big and clever having loads of poke 8)

Great looking pipework Nick!

Will you be playing out at Croft on Thursday?

Cheers, Keith.

Hi Keith, I will have a look down to Croft on Thursday but not on the track.

Verdict on the pipe. Have to say a bit underwhelmed, thought it was going to be quite noisy but it's not, Shark Werks have either done something miraculous or Porsche are wasting their time putting silencers on their Turbo's!
TBH the only time you really notice it is on start up, there isn't a drone in the cabin and it it's very civilised, only driven it a few miles so we'll see what a few more trips brings out.
Bit of a faf to fit but that's only cause most of the nuts and bolts were seized with rust.

Well second opinion from a mate of mine, it's noisy!!

You don't notice it so much in the car but it does have a little burble and crackle in the lower gears!
Need to find a tunnel to give it the beans!

Luvly jubbly :thumb:

I found the same with my Gen2. Less difference for the DFi engine.

I have also been assured it sounds much throatier from the outside though.

Above 4000rpm in 2nd is the sweet spot (outside the car), as you get too much tyre noise at third gear speeds.

I'm sure it will grow on you.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back