Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 warm start problem

graeme

Hello I have a recently purchased a 997 Carrera 4s (25000m) bought from Porsche hatfield with 2 yr warranty. Having stalled the car a couple of times I noticed that on a warm start the engine cranks very slowly and makes a clattering noise like someone shaking a bag of spanners. It then starts and runs fine and cold starting is also fine. I will take it to a dealer but wondered if anyone had experience of this, as any background information would be useful when approaching the dealership. Many thanks

Sounds like maybe a coil pack. But I am not an expert....

I would have thought the same thing to happen on cold start if a coil pack though :dont know:

I have a 997.1 which can be problematic starting when hot, despite consistently starting good when cold and running good at all times. Having done some research online, there appears to be a known HOT START issue caused by a poor main battery to Alternator cable? - The cables themselves are around £80 but fitting seems to vary from 2-4 hours? - Apparently on Automatic its an engine out job, but not on a manual (fortunately mine is Manual).

TTW said:
I have a 997.1 which can be problematic starting when hot, despite consistently starting good when cold and running good at all times. Having done some research online, there appears to be a known HOT START issue caused by a poor main battery to Alternator cable? - The cables themselves are around £80 but fitting seems to vary from 2-4 hours? - Apparently on Automatic its an engine out job, but not on a manual (fortunately mine is Manual).

Mine too!, thanks for that G

C63_2_4S said:
Sounds like maybe a coil pack. But I am not an expert....

I would have thought the same thing to happen on cold start if a coil pack though :dont know:

Thanks for that, agree with you logic, I think new coil packs were fitted in presale service but will look into it. G

Almost certainly your battery, easy to check if you have a decent multimeter, or possibly the cable to the starter motor which is a common failure.

As Rob says .. a slow spin over of the engine is battery or a high resistance cable to the starter which does happen on these .. the concern i have is the bag of spanners noise .. thats not normal .. if possible a sound clip of it please .

TTW said:

Absolutely a known problem with the starter/alternator cable, I suffered with this on my early c2s tip. On long runs battery also fails to charge as heat increases the electrical resistance of the cable which has a crimped "Y" connection that seems to be the root cause. Replacement cost not too bad on manuals but as you say is an engine drop on a tip :eek: .
Fortunately I found Zentrum in notts who have an in situ repair for around £200 - cable will probably need replacing eventually but since I had this done it's been perfect :thumbs:

And if its not the starter cable - its likely to be the actual starter motor!

I know the 'bag of spanners' noise you mean - its like a real heavy duty 'pinking' sound - i don't think its anything to worry about - mine did it when i had this problem - i changed the starter cable first that improved it a little, then i caged the starter motor and that really sorted it - turns over now hot or cold real fast!

Attachments

• cable_207.jpg
    cable_207.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,545

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back