Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fearnsport Turbo build

sim996

Got my engine at fearnsport for a rebuild, Matt really knows his stuff I have to say, though I wish I'd gone to him sooner.

Attachments

• img_20170704_wa0013_166.jpg
    img_20170704_wa0013_166.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 17,291
  • img_20170704_wa0016_124.jpg
    img_20170704_wa0016_124.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 17,291
  • img_20170704_wa0018_129.jpg
    img_20170704_wa0018_129.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 17,291
  • img_20170711_wa0023_101.jpg
    img_20170711_wa0023_101.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 17,291
  • img_20170711_wa0025_103.jpg
    img_20170711_wa0025_103.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 17,291
  • img_20170711_wa0026_172.jpg
    img_20170711_wa0026_172.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 17,291
  • img_20170711_wa0029_191.jpg
    img_20170711_wa0029_191.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 17,291
He does seem to. What are you having done?

MC

He does have a good rep!

Couple of chaps on here have had some work done by him, 911tom has had a big build done and is now running mega power and I also thought MC had an engine down there?

I'm having a rebuild done by Sid at Porsche Torque. More for future proofing and reliability than for ridiculous power. Its an interesting time!

Engine should make plenty of power. My main concern is the gearbox.

I'll see if I can cap the torque

All the best with this build , to Matt's credit his work quality and attention to detail is one of the best .

Recently I was taking apart my car and noticed even the cable ties he used were a US brand costing £65 a bag iirc .

I wonder if it possible for an enthusiast to complete an engine build given that time wouldn't be a factor.

Superb stuff Matt is well respected :thumb:

I have an engine with Matt, it is being rebuilt with a stronger gearbox. I'll post up details when it is finished. Hopefully next year.

MC

:D Another work of art from Fearnsport. Been through the same process with mine last year. What are you going for OP? Is it just a straight 3.6 build or are you upgrading to 3.8? Have you decided on turbos etc? Do you have a power figure in mind? With regard to gearbox is it manual or tiptronic? You are right it is torque that will upset the drivetrain. If you plan to 'cap' the torque then you will need to consider what turbo's you fit. My turbo's do not come alive unless they are running around 1.4bar. If I wanted to run less power and torque I would be better off with smaller turbos.... Food for thought but you need an end goal and decide what it is you are wanting to achieve out of this.

Tom is spot on

What are your end goals as this will and more importantly affect the build. Its about what you want, near instant spool or grunt all the way to over 200mph, style of driving comes into play, road warrior or euro crusing, or track bla bla bla

From experience, my build went from serious to ridiclous very quickly as the turbos were producing so much power, then you get very serious with the £££ drive shafts, strengthen loads of parts, cooling, oils feeds, fuel system, clutch, fabrications, i wont go on as i am now going for a drive,,,cant resist as at home today

Damm you OP, why do i keep reading these great threads on 911uk !!!

Keep the updates coming,,,exciting times

Hi OP
I'm a big fan of Matt and his work too having known him since his AMD days: a thorough gent and excellent work - you are definitely in good hands

The 'trouble' with mine is that he did all the work on it back in 2010 and... nothing has played up/broken/gone wrong at all since so i will have to get the latest edition of 'Man maths for Porsche owners' out as i need a winter project :puh:

(just back from another fab weekend on Bugatti circuit and it turned 71K on the way back - 996T's are fab cars! :worship: )

Good luck with your build OP

ps. Hi Faried - you met a friend of mine (also called Simon a few months ago in Cockfosters and he says hello :thumb: ) sorry for the thread hijack!

Looks very tasty! A 3.8 re-work has crossed my mind.

I did wonder about installing the GT3 valve train components and con rods to allow a few more revs, but I guess with the turbos, what you gain in power top-end, you;d likely lose because the turbos drop-off?

FRP said:
Tom is spot on

What are your end goals as this will and more importantly affect the build. Its about what you want, near instant spool or grunt all the way to over 200mph, style of driving comes into play, road warrior or euro crusing, or track bla bla bla

From experience, my build went from serious to ridiclous very quickly as the turbos were producing so much power, then you get very serious with the £££ drive shafts, strengthen loads of parts, cooling, oils feeds, fuel system, clutch, fabrications, i wont go on as i am now going for a drive,,,cant resist as at home today

Damm you OP, why do i keep reading these great threads on 911uk !!!

Keep the updates coming,,,exciting times

Bring it over !

911tom said:
:D Another work of art from Fearnsport. Been through the same process with mine last year. What are you going for OP? Is it just a straight 3.6 build or are you upgrading to 3.8? Have you decided on turbos etc? Do you have a power figure in mind? With regard to gearbox is it manual or tiptronic? You are right it is torque that will upset the drivetrain. If you plan to 'cap' the torque then you will need to consider what turbo's you fit. My turbo's do not come alive unless they are running around 1.4bar. If I wanted to run less power and torque I would be better off with smaller turbos.... Food for thought but you need an end goal and decide what it is you are wanting to achieve out of this.

I saw yours down there, I'm getting the same modified water lines etc, as it's a far more robust solution. Where did you get your gearbox sorted, mines a manual.

It's a road car, so I'm not too bothered about a headline figure, just that it's driveable.

Id cap the torque through mapping, turbos just need to be efficient.

My gearbox was rebuilt by a firm in Germany. They only build automatics though... I'd suggest for your car you discuss options with Matt as I am sure he has built or knows where to get it done. Sports and Classic come to mind or as far as I know Bill Radar in the US of A is best known for strengthening these manual boxes. Faried (FRP on here) has just had a manual box built for his 9exx, might be worth a chat with him and 9e.

As far as capping torque with the tune. Obviously that can be done but ultimately not great as a permanent solution. If you spec to bigger turbos they may not get in to their efficiency range. If you do not want to build the gearbox then you will need to spec turbos etc to suit whatever the safe torque level is for the stock manual box. I have no idea what that is as mine is a tip. If you are thinking you will build it but not right away then go for the bigger turbos and get the tuner to write you multiple maps. I can highly recommend Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments. He is the only tuner I am aware of that can run multiple maps on the stock ecu.

Yes, I'll speak to Matt again regarding the gearbox, he said yours was sent away so figured it wasn't something Matt did. He's explained the limitations with 6th gear and the helical gears, but I've not pressed him for a solution.

I get the feeling strengthening might be outside of my budget, so maybe just a refresh and torque limit the output for safety.

Anyone know a safe limit for the manual box?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back