Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Talk me into not buying V10 R8 and keeping 997

StephenS1

I'm looking for a highly partisan, pro-Porsche response to the question, should I trade in my 997 for an R8.

I suspect that I'll love the R8 for all of the obvious reasons but scared that I'll miss my beloved 997.1 which I've had for four years now.

Any responses, either way, appreciated.

StephenS1 said:
I'm looking for a highly partisan, pro-Porsche response to the question, should I trade in my 997 for an R8.

I suspect that I'll love the R8 for all of the obvious reasons but scared that I'll miss my beloved 997.1 which I've had for four years now.

I would buy the R8 ...... try it for a year then if you miss the 997 ... buy another one ..... there are plenty of them ......!!

You only live once and if you don't try , you will never know!!!

Steve, here's my 2p I only have one thing to say

IT'S ONLY AN AUDI

there is nothing at all special about the marque, no heritage, no classic styling.no decades of continued improvement in handling and drivability.
I can hardly tell them apart from the other sporty looking Audi's

Hire one for a weekend and see for yourself just the lack of specialness
you will very quickly be bored and miss the 911 :thumb:

Driven both and I'd say keep 997. I get the appeal but........

Go and test drive an Audi R8 V10 and 997.2 turbo back to back and then decide.

Yup, as bikeracer says, test em back to back. Before I bought my turbo I was very close to pulling the trigger on an R8 V10 but I'm glad I took the turbo.

I had a fab blast in the Lincolnshire countryside last night. Took the Mrs. for a bar meal. Had an impromptu race with a KTM1290 Superduke which was very naughty but great fun! I know, I know.... got an earbashing off Mrs. Norfolk....

Bikeracer1098 said:

Ah, but this was not the choice the OP asked about ..... he asked , whether to buy the R8 V10 .... or keep his 997.1....

A choice between a 997.2 Turbo and an R8 V10 is a slightly different thing .....

There would only be one winner in that comparison ... but the original question if tested back to back might be a different outcome ....

911TEL said:
StephenS1 said:

I would buy the R8 ...... try it for a year then if you miss the 997 ... buy another one ..... there are plenty of them ......!!

You only live once and if you don't try , you will never know!!!

:agree:

MC

911TEL said:
Bikeracer1098 said:

Ah, but this was not the choice the OP asked about ..... he asked , whether to buy the R8 V10 .... or keep his 997.1....

A choice between a 997.2 Turbo and an R8 V10 is a slightly different thing .....

There would only be one winner in that comparison ... but the original question if tested back to back might be a different outcome ....

Ah come on, we all know that. Some threads need twisting a bit.... :lol:

Money comes and goes, time only goes.

The R8 sounds nicer, is more in your face look-at-me.

The 997 is is more subtle in looks and sound (better looking IMO), and can also be a GT as well as sports car. It will carry more (people and luggage).

The choice is yours.....

If you got an itch itch it, what the worst that can happen, loose a few quid and jump back into the 997

Do what I did, sell the Gen 1 and buy a Gen 2 best thing I ever did no question.

As for the Audi, as Phil says it's an Audi, never driven one had a very weak hankering for one but bought the 997. Would I have one? Never, also I'm told they drop quite heavily in value.

Only problem you'll have is finding a very good Gen 2 at the right money.

It's a big TT, All the seats, switches, dials are similar or the same.

They aren't special enough, Or drive well enough. They're purposely slower than a Lamborghini, Just made as a posers first super car in my opinion.

Not much will beat the 911 range for being a car to use at the weekend, use every day, or use at the nurburgring.

I've owned both, a Gen 1 R8 V10 and a 997 GTS and they are quite different beasts.

I must admit I didn't get on with the R8 and sold it after 9 months. The only thing that out shines the Porsche is the engine, oh boy what an engine! It's so characterful and having that V10 by your ear it just encourages you to go flat out....which is part of the problem. The performance is so high that you just don't get near the limit on UK roads. The grip levels are very high and handling very accomplished so you have to really push on hard to get any sense of the car moving around at all. I could only get anywhere near the limits on track.

It does get a lot of attention, way more than a Porsche. All positive attention in my experience.

The interior let it down, it's not a special place to sit even though mine had all the leather and carbon you could buy for it. The seating position seems very high in the car, too high for my tastes. It's very well finished inside but just a bit Audi A4.

Mine had the carbon ceramic brakes and they were very good, if you decide to go for an R8 keep an eye out for one with ceramics.

Have a look on R8 Talk for info on them, a good lively UK forum with lots of info.

PS - My son always ask me to buy another R8 because it was the coolest car I've had. He never asks me to take him to school in the 911!

Alternative suggestion.....Is having both an option? 997.1 is a great long term car, not sure if the Audi is. But I fully understand the interest in having that v10 engine for a while.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back