Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thoughts on a Cat D early C4

coullstar

Ive just started looking for another 911 and sadly I was looking at selling my Corrado to help fund it, however I have found a cat D 3.4 C4 with good history and looks nice with sports option for about 70% of the cost of non CatD one that would mean I wouldn't have to sell the Corrado.

Its on about 115k and Ive seen some photos of the damage (both wings and front bumper) so its appears to have been an easy fix.

Just wondering what folks thoughts are on these, I realize it will be harder to sell on and I wont make as much but it seems a bit of a bargain at the moment.
Anybody else done this that can offer experience of buying / selling a Cat D?

It looks like your going in with your eyes open regarding the value of the car and the possible re-sale 'issues'.

Subject to the usual buying criteria being met ........ why not.

Good Luck.

Buy at 70% less, sell at 70% less. These cars are on their way up so you'll only lose 30% of what a non Cat D would make. Get it bought if you're sure about the work that's been done and have documented evidence. :thumb:

There's a few Cat Deeleys on here but I've yet to witness any snobery about it.

That's what Im thinking, as long as the work is well documented.

Only thing I can think of mechanically is if the wheel took a knock would it affect the front diff in anyway?

Theres also the higher mileage which Im not sure on.

Diff will be fine as universal couplings on either ends of driveshafts. They're dear to replace though. Listen for them clicking on slow bends.

Higher mileage??????? :?

Barely run in.

If you buy a good one that's been sorted properly you simply can't go wrong in terms of keeping it and enjoying the 911 experience.

Get it checked and bought if it's a good one.👍

Don't even think about it, buy on condition alone.

Any none recorded car could have been repaired in its life.

Make sure you buy at 20-30% discount as buyers will be wary and fewer.

If it has the photos and bill for repair with it so you can show it was not bent then go for it.

I've had a few recorded cars including 2x cat d corrado VR6s (1x minor front end, 1x stolen recaro interior...) and a cat c 350z (rear 1/4). No problems selling on - but they need to be priced right and there are fewer buyers for them so it may take a bit longer.

115k on anything else 18 years old would be low mileage. I'd say it was average. 180k on these is high mileage.

Mine has 128k and in rude health. Wish I could have kept the aqua blue Corrado Vr6.

Phoned about it, the guy is a small dealer from home and doesn't have any info on the repair, just the photos. Its got full stamped history book up to around 1000 miles go. Looks fine but only thing is Im 524miles away.

He is sending V5 for previous owner info and bonnet sticker.

Biggest worry I would have is does it drive straight? (as long as the price is right)

See a few recent threads on here re: Porsches being so sensitive to good geo.

I'd sooner stick with the more robust 3.4 engine. That gen 2 is quite pricey for a cat deeley.

Thought the same originally but more than happy with my 996.2. Buy on condition as always! :)

Attachments

• ct_191.jpg
    ct_191.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 4,397
Too high a risk of bore scoring.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back