Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flat battery?

Andyc11

Went to start my GTS this morning and noticed window was very slow to go down when opening the door. When trying to start, lots of clicking and flashing but no cranking at all. Leave the key in the ignition and turn (but not starting) and get a reduced power, abs and pasm message. Assume (hoping!) this is flat battery.

If so, would a ctek do anything (been meaning to buy one for weeks as doing very limited mileage at the moment), or is it just best to bite the bullet and get OPC to sort?

A Ctek charger is a fantastic piece of kit for your car so I'd get one anyway. You can give it a go to see if it will recover your battery as it has reconditioning modes and all sorts. If it doesn't work then you'll have a charger in place ready for a new battery.

Thanks, realised they're a decent purchase so ordered one. Fingers crossed it will sort!

Andyc11 said:
Thanks, realised they're a decent purchase so ordered one. Fingers crossed it will sort!

What model did you order?

I have the MX5.0 as I got it for my previous car, an E92 M3 which had an AGM battery. The MX5.0 covers multiple types of battery but Ctek have loads of models available. I have no idea what type of battery 911's have. :?:

Got the MXS 5.0 - I've seen other 997 owners have used this and all fine.

That should do it, just be aware that if your battery has been flattened it could well be damaged and might not last all that long.

MC

MisterCorn said:
That should do it, just be aware that if your battery has been flattened it could well be damaged and might not last all that long.

MC

Agreed, hopefully the ctek will at least get me mobile again and with some reconditioning may extend the battery, but it's 6 years old now so maybe just time for a replacement anyway.

Sounds like your battery has gone or is on its way out, or maybe the dreaded cable over the engine to the starter motor. There are usually signs that the battery or cable are on their way out with sluggish starting from, particularly when hot!

Thought it seemed strange there was no cranking at all and just a clicking noise when trying the ignition. Lots of light flashing and failure messages so in a way, hoping it's just the battery. Anyone any experience of this? Is it normal for a flat battery?

Andyc11 said:
Thought it seemed strange there was no cranking at all and just a clicking noise when trying the ignition. Lots of light flashing and failure messages so in a way, hoping it's just the battery. Anyone any experience of this? Is it normal for a flat battery?

Yes it is normal.

MC

Check the cells of the battery - enough water/acid ?

I had a couple with low levels - topped up with the correct de-ionized water, CTEK recondition program applied - not had an issue since.

997man said:

I had a couple with low levels - topped up with the correct de-ionized water, CTEK recondition program applied - not had an issue since.

Thanks, thought of that earlier watching a YouTube vid on the ctek. Any ideas on what de-ionized water is needed or just any?

Andyc11 said:
997man said:

Thanks, thought of that earlier watching a YouTube vid on the ctek. Any ideas on what de-ionized water is needed or just any?

Halfords sell it in 1L and 5L tubs at £1.79 and £3.50 respectively.

Clicking noise instead of cranking is absolutely the normal situation on many cars if the battery is flat - from your description I'd be very confident a new battery will fix it.

At 6 years old your battery doesn't owe you anything - I'd say charge it up with the Ctek to get you started but change it for a new one asap. Buy online if you don't have to have the Moll (for warranty reasons although this is also debatable). Last one I got was the Varta Silver F18/110.

Ten minute job to fit it, as long as you remember to turn the key to position 1 before disconnecting (so the alarm doesn't go off a few inches from your head and make you poo your pants). Also expect to get a call from the tracker company within a few minutes as their system detects the battery disconnection.

By the way my Ctek is the 3600 which is fine, so if you have gone for the more powerful 5 then it will be more than up to the job.

Cheers

word of caution. Get the battery checked even if the cteck revives it. If a cell is damaged it can lead to a leak or gass discharge issue when charging.

As stated above, a moll battery at 6 years old is above average age already :)

The Christmas tree lights and abs/pasm warnings should clear once you have started and driven it a short distance.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back