Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

E46 M3 opinion

Locosaki

I'm toying with selling/swapping my C4 for an 02 M3, has anyone got any thoughts regarding the M3, my car is just back from Hartech after a full rebuild so I'm not quite sure if I'm doing the right thing.

There's always been lots of love for the E46 M3 on 911uk with most people seeming to see it as a very worthy alternative to a cooking 911.

It was the only other car on my short list when I went for my 996C4 back in 2009 and if it wasn't for the fact that I'd owned an E46 328Ci for over 4 years I might have gone for the Munich car.

That said, if I'd just paid out for an engine rebuild in a 911 I'd definitely be planning to enjoy driving that for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the input, it's a fair shout I should probably just enjoy the 911, it went away in December last year for the rebuild with the view I would be keeping for the long term, it's not even properly run yet.

I've got someone at me about a possible swap, there intending getting into 911 ownership and due to mine having been to Hartech it's the prime candidate for the owner of the M3, I know he has spent some cash of late on the engine but at this stage I'm not 100% sure on what, the M3 is a gorgeous car too. He did say if I didn't fancy the M3 he would be willing to buy mine when his was away, not something I had thought about until yesterday when we got chatting.

Whilst the E46 M3 is a fine car and IMO the best looking of all the M3s, it isn't a 911, doesn't look as good or drive as well.

The only time I would consider one is in addition to a 911, not instead of one.

And don't forget that M3's have their own foibles. Whilst the engine in them is excellent they all usually end up needing some work doing. The VANOS is notorious. Rear subframes cracking, SMG failures etc etc.

Nope, I'd keep what you have unless you need the money and are getting a good few quid in addition to the BMW in the swap.

:bandit:

Locosaki said:
Thanks for the input, it's a fair shout I should probably just enjoy the 911, it went away in December last year for the rebuild with the view I would be keeping for the long term, it's not even properly run yet.

I've got someone at me about a possible swap, there intending getting into 911 ownership and due to mine having been to Hartech it's the prime candidate for the owner of the M3, I know he has spent some cash of late on the engine but at this stage I'm not 100% sure on what, the M3 is a gorgeous car too. He did say if I didn't fancy the M3 he would be willing to buy mine when his was away, not something I had thought about until yesterday when we got chatting.

I am in a similar position - considering running a manual E46 M3 coupe as a second car (have a E46 325ci doing that job at the moment). My main car is a 997.1 C2S which I will never sell - too many smiles when driving and I would regret selling it straight away.

Good luck with the search - remember that some M3s have issues with subframe so that will need to be inspected.

I've had both a 996.1 C4 and an E46 M3 and I'd happily go back to either. The M3 is a far more practical proposition but both have known problems which can blight ownership. It may sound odd but I connected emotionally with the M3 immediately but it took 3 months for the 996 but ultimately the 996 felt more special. Performance wise they are on a par but M3 always felt a little edgier - RWD, SMG versus 4WD and manual 996.

I think if you have confidence in the 996 post the Hartech rebuild and don't need practicality, I'd elect to keep the 996.

Well I am on my 9th, I love them, its the best car you can buy for thereabouts 12k period (for a good one there is some cr4p around so be careful)

Its the jack of all trades master of none of the sports car world. I also find them one of the prettiest cars and the lines are just so right and looks so good from every angle.

Its becoming a cult car in its own right and I think they will rise in money especially for a mint low miles manual.

Lots can go wrong and more than whats already been said, so tread carefully, however find a loved one and it will hit the spot just as much as a cooking 911 trust me. Its a very good car.

Ive just bought a rare Dakar yellow one and I love it.

Here to help if you need more info.

My last car was an E46 M3 - it had every option except Bluetooth and was a fantastic car. It does everything you need and is fun in the wet as long as you turn the traction off as it's frustrating otherwise. Rear tyres don't last very long but not sure if that was really the cars fault..... mine had an AC Schnitzer exhaust and sounded lovely. I'd definitely buy another - just be careful for rear subframe issues, Vanos and cam wheels coming loose.
I had mine for about 3 years and only had servicing, fuel and normal tyres and brakes costs.
It's a different car to a 911 so I'd drive a few (and buy a manual one) :thumbs:

Great cars ,I prefer SMG to a manual [the CSL was SMG for a reason].Not as special as a Porsche but probably a better all round car and very pretty.I had a 997 for over 4 years if I had to pick one it would be the M3 but a Porsche with a Hartech rebuild would be a much tougher decision.

Ian Perry said:
Great cars ,I prefer SMG to a manual [the CSL was SMG for a reason].Not as special as a Porsche but probably a better all round car and very pretty.I had a 997 for over 4 years if I had to pick one it would be the M3 but a Porsche with a Hartech rebuild would be a much tougher decision.

Don't let BF hear you say that about the SMG. I am happy to drive manual or SMG, although I will say that I have only ever driven SMG in the CSL and have heard that the standard SMG is quite different.

MC

Boba, some would say having 2 Dakar yellow M3's is just greedy!

MisterCorn said:
Ian Perry said:

Don't let BF hear you say that about the SMG. I am happy to drive manual or SMG, although I will say that I have only ever driven SMG in the CSL and have heard that the standard SMG is quite different.

MC
Ha ha ,I reckon if you can't drive an SMG smoothly then you can't drive. :thumb:

Best N/A engine ever? Possibly.

Had one before my turbo, great cars.

jpsh120 said:
Boba, some would say having 2 Dakar yellow M3's is just greedy!

Yeah, maybe.... :thumb:

MC..you have the best a CSL is Epic, best looking E46, the box is Sh1te and its well documented, however, its now a character statistic of a very characterful classic beautiful car, what with it now becoming Classic/retro I think hell, its unique, so I think its very in-keeping with the car and thats now OK with me. :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back