Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Owners club Donnington Track Day video

markturner1960

Here is a video from my second session of the day, instructor onboard, Donnington is such an amazing circuit, my second time there , and first track day in the GT3.

really starting to learn what these GT cars are all about now:

Great vid, car sounds very purposeful!

Always good to get time with an instructor :)

What Pads are you running ?

:thumb:

Nice Mark, always good to drive in anger and get some expert advice

911UK said:
Always good to get time with an instructor :)

What Pads are you running ?

:thumb:

I recognise the dulcet tones of Colin Hoad (CAT Driver Training) instructing ;)

He's running Alcons & RS29s but is being far too ginger on the brakes. Give them death Mark; you can brake far later & harder - I know it's a learning curve but if you can learn to trust the brakes you will improve your lap times significantly. The squeal will also disappear.

Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed. Nick, believe me, it felt like I was giving them death at the end of the back straight, could feel the ABS cutting in, so I know I was right on the threshold. You are right though, elsewhere I could be harder and later and it's my main area of improvement to work on.

When they were first fitted, 9ex left out the shims, as I said I would be doing a bit track work, and they squealed like buggery, despite some very hard bedding in. The squeal is only on the initial application, in the first few mm of pedal travel.

Since the Spanish trip, they have had it back, fitted the shims and radiused the pad edges, and it was fine for a while but resurfaced at the track day. Not as bad as before though.

The RS29 / Alcon combination ideally needs to have regular track action to maintain squeal-free operation. I'm surprised you're getting into the ABS, I almost never do on track. In your video, it looks to me (in the absence of a G-meter) as though you are braking with increasing force before the corner; try it the other way round where you absolutely bang into the pedal almost as hard as you can initially & then bleed off as you're turning into the corner. This takes a fair bit of practice to perfect but it's absolutely the fastest way. The aim is to load up the nose & transferring the weight via the brakes is key to getting good turn-in & front-end grip.

Your lines are spot on & general driving technique is very good though. Car sounds great!

It was just at the end of the back straight that I noticed a bit of ABS pulse occasionally. There is not really anywhere else at Donnington that you need to brake so hard. Trailbraking was one of the things that Colin was working on with me and I was getting there pretty well by the end of the morning session he said.

For me, getting the braking technique right is the hardest thing to learn, as you need to brake in the opposite way you do on the road. All that muscle memory to unlearn! But I am getting there, just need to practice.

I am hoping that on the Iberia trip I can get some passenger laps with you Nick, and get some pointers.... :)

Cheers,

Unless you're a complete natural (I'm not!), there's really no substitute for seat time. I have lots now, but as you say, it's really difficult to unlearn years of road driving techniques.

Roll on Iberia :thumb:

Donny is a great track for a GT car, was there last week but it rained, no fun in the rain. Hoping to go back next week GT noise day on the 17th. I see we have the same dealer/ pusher for brakes :thumb: nice toe and heal work much better than my clumsy efforts. Here's a lap for a TD me and Nick attended in 2014, the only clear lap all day as the fun cups were using as a test day :x

Nice lap Cunno, you slaughtered my time (best of the day around 1.28 /1.29 I think from looking at the videos afterwards) Seemed very smooth as well...

Smooth is fast. It often doesn't feel fast but the laptimer doesn't lie. I know I've done low 1:18's on a particularly good day (very little traffic) but cannot locate the video just now. I'll try & post some video up later.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back