Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Cold start whine.

adawes

Chaps
Wonder if I can get some help with a rather annoying noise on my 997.1 Turbo.
Only on cold start up, once the car comes off of idle there is a very annoying and loud noise. It only lasts until the car reaches 80 degrees (water temp)
Once it reaches this temp the noise disappears totally.
The noise is very embarrassing as this sort of motor shouldn't make a noise like this, so i start the car up and drive it straight off, when the car is revved very slightly (1000-1200rpm) the noise doesn't totally disappear, instead it goes high pitched but quieter. If that's makes sense!!!

The car has gone back to garage that I bought it from, they have had their mechanics look at it and also Porsche at Portsmouth look at it.
They have looked at pulleys, AOS and other bits I presume (haven't had a report)
They have said that it seems to be an air leak but none the wiser where!
But have now said that the next step is to drop the engine / gearbox out.
I have paid Porsche for their time, all be it not much but now the next step will cost me a lot to investigate further.
Porsche Mechanic has recommended that I have the car back and wait for the noise to get worse, IF it does they may be able to diagnose it.
I have attached the video below, any input would be much appreciated.
I'm pretty sick of it now to be honest!

Thanks very much.
https://youtu.be/NDKUJTyB5nU

Hi Adawes,

This sounds exactly like the noise and circumstances I had a while back on my 997.1TT.

It turned out to be a drive belt slipping.

Either way it might be worth sending that vid to someone like Northway. (they're only about 35mins from Alton). I highly recommend them and they've identified loads of issues from vids or pics over the years for me and always been correct in their diagnosis.

Ray Northways email is ;[email protected]

Good luck.
Lee

Lee
Thank you very much for that matey.
They have looked at all the belts etc and say it's not the issue but there is no harm in a second opinion

Cheers pal
Ad

just been investigating somthing similar on my sons Audi, starts with a squeek and would go when warmed up, it turned out to be auxilary belt, aparantly one way to test is to spray some water or wd40 on the inner surface, if it goes away for a short while its the belt.We did this and the noise instantly went, but came back later.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back