Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight washer problem

P911X50

Hi

Got up this morning to give the 996 a run and noticed my headlights were a tad dirty and so I gave it a squirt.

However, only the nearside headlight washer was operational. I got a friend to watch the car while I gave it another squirt and he noticed that the nearside washer worked well, while the drivers side did not pop up and squirt. He and I both noticed a pretty big puddle under the driver side wheel.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

Had exactly this problem, the price of parts and labour is in my ownership thread, from memory it was something like £200 for the parts.

May not come to that. Likely that the pipe has come adrift.
If you're a bit handy with the spanners, you could try headlight removal or falling that front Pu removal to get to it and check.
Worst case, you now have easy access :)

Thanks, If its the right headlight, would that more likely be a lose or cracked pipe or something more expensive?

Its similar to the 997 so I think the left light washer has the common feed, right just a single feed from the left, if you follow. If left is working ok, then water and electric supply are ok, likely just pipe come off or jet blocked.
GL

I had the same issue. Turned out to be a dirty filter in the fluid reservoir. Total cost £0. Took about 1h-1.5h total to remove, clean and replace.

It could be:
Broken headlight jet.
Pipe come off.
Dirty filter.

Best thing to try - take out the headlamp and remove the headlight washer jet - attach a hose to one end and see if that pressure makes it pop up and spray. Yes - fluid reservoir out time, no - new jet.

Hi Nastymatt,

How do I clean the filter?

Think that will require near side front arch liner out.
Not done that so can't really advise, sorry.

P911X50 said:
Hi Nastymatt,

How do I clean the filter?

It's a small metal mesh filter, I ran some warm water through mine and scraped of the green gunk with my finger!! It's just a build up of washer fluid.

There is an easy to follow guide on Rennlist on how to remove the fluid reservoir. I was super cautious and it didn't take long.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back