Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My scenic route to the Highlands

James M-S

A must read for anyone considering the NC500

Time for my annual trip to my Mother in laws up in the highlands, fortunately my wife took the kids in the family Audi, and I took took the Pork.

I thought I'd share my experience.

It's 500 miles each way, so we break the journey at my sister in laws in Edinburgh.

Instead of motorway slog the entire way, I peel off the A74 early and take the A701 into Edinburgh.

This pic is after the motorway section, the mpg soon dropped!

No pics of the A701, I was too busy attacking the road (which I highly recommend)!

Then after catching up with a pal near Aberdeen, it's the A93 and A939 (not the tedious, average speed camera'd A9)

Rain was forecast all week, but being by the coast, the forecast is often wrong!

Then some fun with other acquaintances giving passenger rides.

Followed by a stunning sunset.

A few days relaxing by the beach (just over the road). Then time to take the long way home again via Balmoral.

The rain made for an empty road (A939 - old military road), following the river Don via Glenshee ski resort and Lecht ski resort including some 20% gradients that put the hair into hairpin.

I really really love this road! (As does Henry Catchpole)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xkAT82-R0S8

James :D 8)

Superb :worship:

I'm setting off next week for a fairly major tour, so this is great inspiration :thumbs:

Surely once you married into the clan they must have told we don't want everyone up here..........shhhh!

Great pics :thumbs:

I still haven't made it all the way across the North coast. I did a day trip to Orkney last year from Thurso, but the A9 is quite straight up there.

I want to see some of the amazing bridges (kylesku etc).

Have a great trip New997. You will realise what versatile GT cars these are.

A shame I didn't capture more environmental variety in the photo's. The fast woodland sections and tight hairpin sections aren't ideal for stopping.

:thumbs:

I'm also a massive fan of that part of the world :thumb:
Really looking forward to my next visit in September with a group of 35 cars.

:envy:

I'd love to do the NC500 but it's the 1000 mile return trip to get there that always puts me off planning it. :sad:

I can't get past looking at what delights there are if I travel 500 miles south from home especially as most of the journey 500 miles north would be so grim.

Terry, you might be surprised to learn there are actually some decent roads between the M25 and Scotland to relieve the boredom!! :grin:

The NC500 has been a huge success for the tourism industry but personally I much prefer the "NW300" - the roads & scenery on the West coast are so good I don't bother with the extra NE bit :wink:

T8 said:
most of the journey 500 miles north would be so grim.

So long as you set off early and hit Preston by about 7am you'll be fine :grin:

Looks like a great trip James. I want to do the Highlands myself and it's not too far for me up here in sunny Lancashire.

On another note, I had to run my sister to Leeds Bradford airport at 4:40am this morning. Was back home for 6:30am. What a great drive when there's only the odd wagon on the road. Had a proper blast on the return journey with the sun rising in my rear view mirror.

Nice views of Portmahomack there James !

I agree that the Lecht / Glenshee/ Balmoral / Pitlochry loops through the Cairngorm national park are epic, should be on everyones bucketlist of drives.....

The NC500 is not the only attraction .....

my next run out as soon as a full day and work commitments permits along with Porsche Cayman GTS buddy, is :Inverness - Cawdor- Dava Moor- Grantown-Tomintoul- Lecht - Pitlochry- Callander (in Trossachs) - Glencoe - Ballachullish - Fort William - Lochness-side - inverness
Lunch at Callander to relax and let adrenalin drop to normal levels but it probably will be already after a stretch of the A9 ( used to be such a good road )

cant wait .....!

911TEL said:
my next run out as soon as a full day and work commitments permits along with Porsche Cayman GTS buddy, is :Inverness - Cawdor- Dava Moor- Grantown-Tomintoul- Lecht - Pitlochry- Callander (in Trossachs) - Glencoe - Ballachullish - Fort William - Lochness-side - inverness

That's a brilliant route :thumbs:

911TEL said:
The NC500 is not the only attraction .....

Lunch at Callander to relax and let adrenalin drop to normal levels but it probably will be already after a stretch of the A9 ( used to be such a good road )

cant wait .....!

+1 for the roads around Callander. Gives a different aspect from the jaw dropping mountain pass roads further up country but still great fun. :thumb:

Longers said:
911TEL said:

That's a brilliant route :thumbs:

We have been planning to do it for a while but recent work commitments and family holiday conspiring to delay it .... looks like mid September now though ......!!
I've done the West and east parts a few times but haven't hooked up through Trossachs , so that's the plan ........ looking forward to it ....!

Will have to check out the trossachs next time...

My favourite roads near home seem really tame in comparison :roll:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back