Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT4 Vs GT3

jotaking

Just curious to see what the main differences are between a GT4 and GT3?

Do they share the same 3.8 engine and if so, do the GT4 have the same issues with valve wear etc...

They start at 82k on PH....

Is the 991 GT3 worth 40k more?

I read the bubble has burst on the GT4. There are heaps for sale and they just ain't shifting.
Is the GT3 worth 40k more? I'd say so yes. It's twice the car IMO.

Apart from layout and size, seems to me the engine is one of the bigger differences and where a good chunk of the extra cost of the GT3 is with its howling 9000rpm, 475hp, titanium con rods etc.? GT4 engine is Carrera engine, not saying that's bad.

GT4 is a Cayman, the GT3 is a 911. To some that is a difference.
The investment value long-term is always going to be in the GT3 in my opinion.

cheshire911 said:
GT4 is a Cayman, the GT3 is a 911. To some that is a difference.
The investment value long-term is always going to be in the GT3 in my opinion.
:thumb:

Norfolk & Idea said:
I read the bubble has burst on the GT4. There are heaps for sale and they just ain't shifting.

Price is still too hexy for me to take a punt on GT4. That said for more road use GTS is the better option as Jonttt will tell me again :roll:

Zingari said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

Price is still too hexy for me to take a punt on GT4. That said for more road use GTS is the better option as Jonttt will tell me again :roll:

I have to say I keep lusting after a Spyder myself, however the ideal spec cars just don't seem to be there (PCCB, carbon buckets, Bose, A/c, Reversing camera). Now there is a lovely club sport spec GT4 in bright yellow with PCCB and all the trimmings, however the OPC wants north of 90k. All academic as i'd have to trade in a couple of cars and find the elusive money tree; though its nice to dream :)

I think the real comparison must be between the GT4 and the 997.1 GT3 which i think can be had for similar money or possibly slightly less. If all GT3s are as sublime as folk say (and I'm sure they are) then that would surely be the better long term buy?

tim993 said:
Zingari said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

I have to say I keep lusting after a Spyder myself, however the ideal spec cars just don't seem to be there (PCCB, carbon buckets, Bose, A/c, Reversing camera). Now there is a lovely club sport spec GT4 in bright yellow with PCCB and all the trimmings, however the OPC wants north of 90k. All academic as i'd have to trade in a couple of cars and find the elusive money tree; though its nice to dream :)

I think the real comparison must be between the GT4 and the 997.1 GT3 which i think can be had for similar money or possibly slightly less. If all GT3s are as sublime as folk say (and I'm sure they are) then that would surely be the better long term buy?

I've been luckily enough to own both a 997.1 GT3 and a gt4, I actually sold my gt3 for the gt4. Within a couple of days I realised I had made a mistake and wished I'd kept the gt3. Maybe it was a little unfair to compare them as I had my gt3 set up by CofG and the Gt4 was on factory settings.

As a stand alone car the gt4 would be a great car but in my opinion not a GT3. The GT4 did start to grow on me, but I didn't keep it for long. I am thinking about purchasing another Gt3.

Zingari said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

:thumb: to me the GTS packages are just overall better for road use. I know too many people now who have jumped on the GT wagon and played the "its a great car" yet they never keep it for long ie its just not the right package for them for road use.
I seriously looked at the GT4 but could not get passed the fact :

- I was not prepared to pay 25% + over list price
- Its not a GT engine
- not as good a drive on road as a S or GTS IMHO (that has nothing to do with which is faster)

Plus I really wanted no roof. I would love a Spyder.......when they sort out a fully automated roof lol I've done 3k now in the BGTS and probably 2500 miles of that has been roof down. I know I would not have driven a GT4 as much.

Anyway to answer the question, the GT4 is a great car if bought for the right reasons BUT its simply not a GT car in my book. I've been lucky enough recently to spend some time in a 991.1 GT3, different league but the owner has just flipped it for a 991 Turbo S as he simply did not enjoy driving it as a weekend road car.

I have had both 997 Gen 1 & 2 GT3's both CS spec cars, and both were great cars and had their similar attributes ..... great cars to drive on their day , but there is the statement , they had days to be enjoyed on in my experience , they were not everyday cars , both special but somewhat restricted as DD vehicles.

I replaced my Gen2 GT3 with 997 Turbo S that has given me far more enjoyment as I use it more ....

I bought a GT4 recently as I had one of the very early 987 Caymans and loved it but I always thought that it could do with more power and something of a rework in the styling department , enter the 981 GT4 and its all there, its maybe not a motorsport engine but it is a tremendous package ... I haven't found any fault with it so far ( apart from restricting where I go due to low nose / speed bumpcombo ) .... I use it as much as possible and find it useable in all conditions and situations.....

All in all , I get far more use and enjoyment out of it than either of the GT3s I had AND, dare I say it ........ it handles better than either of the GT3s did !!

So, its definately subjective but in enjoyment terms .... its better for me !!

Mate had a GT4 and sold it within 300 miles. Why? As an every dayer he hated the seating position of the bucket seats (even tho they had been adjusted) and he didn't like getting in and out of it.

So he's chopped it in for a Spyder - which he much prefers. Maybe it's a little 'softer' than the GT4 (no bucket seats, not as stiff set up, not as crashy over bumps etc)

Plus the Spyder is totally different to his other 911's.

Lots of cars were flipped because they were selling above list. I'm a Boxster lover and would love a Spyder but a 981S or GTS will be my next purchase.

Prices of GT4 are softening and a really good spec one is available from OPC for 88 bags. IIRC it has I think 8k miles which is already classed as a high mileage example by the cognisente :roll:

The owner traded for a GT3 and with the extras paid £85k new for it to use as a daily - so the 'premium' is now perhaps more palatable :dont know:

I still can't get might head around the mileage sensitivity on these as I don't want to be like a shitting dog watching the odometer as I drive one :nooo:

an interesting link SlippyD :)

Zingari said:
Prices of GT4 are softening and a really good spec one is available from OPC for 88 bags. IIRC it has I think 8k miles which is already classed as a high mileage example by the cognisente :roll:

The owner traded for a GT3 and with the extras paid £85k new for it to use as a daily - so the 'premium' is now perhaps more palatable :dont know:

I still can't get might head around the mileage sensitivity on these as I don't want to be like a shitting dog watching the odometer as I drive one :nooo:

the test is what will become of the 981 GT4 when the 718 GT4 is released (or do they wait for the Gen 2 718 GT4?)

Given time and more Motorsport engagement from Porsche with the GT4, this might boost it's eventual appeal, but it says a lot that the GT4 is only really comparable to a 10 year old GT3

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back