Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 5
997 : 2004- 73
996 : 1997-2005 42
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 17
Cayenne : 2003- 12
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 6
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
rob_p
Imola


Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Posts: 767
Location: Leicester


PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911DG wrote:
rob_p wrote:
Great idea for a thread - well done that man!

For me-
Gundo (#1) £250ish
PCM swap out - varies but £500 to £1,000
Red seat belts - £200 if DIY on taking belts out
Centre console paint or carbon dip - £100-£200
Rear console lid from designLS - £150
GT3 smile vent - £100 if DIY

Look forward to following this one.....



RED seat belts.... Thumb Ive already looked at them on Ebay, with the red S and Red callis i think they would look great. I am a ZERO DIY man so do you know A) where the best place to get em is and B) who would fir em - local Indy?

PCM swap - i will do it at some but for now I've just got a £10 Doosl FM transmitter which is really Great for very clear Bluetooth tunes to the radio.

Cheers,

Dan.


Re the seat belts - you have 2 lots of 2 choices.

1 - fronts only or all four? I did all of mine but others have just done the fronts.... (note the rears are much harder/frustrating than the fronts - trim removal etc)
2- DIY or pay someone to do it

DIY is about £50 - you remove, and send off, they come back by return. Service includes a full renovation plus reweb in any colour you choose.
I think the fronts are very straightforward for any half competent diyer.
I used http://www.safetybeltservices.co.uk/index.html. And they were very good.

The second option is quite a bit more but I can't remember how much - I had my boxster done a few years ago. Maybe £250 for a pair? It was a home service so very convenient.
I used http://seatbeltservice.co.uk/ and also very good - just a different offer to above.

Good luck!
_________________
997.1 C2 (full Hartech rebuild, Ohlins coilovers, ducktail, plus some other bits)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
Ex Audi A8 V8 4.2tdi (best all round car I will ever own?)
Ex Porsche Boxster 986
Ex Mazda MX5 mk1
Plus some other stuff that wasn't very interesting....
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
rob_p
Imola


Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Posts: 767
Location: Leicester


PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AslanC2S wrote:
Only had the car 8 weeks and been away for 5 of those but my list is-

Gen 2 key- £20 (done)
Gundo hack - £90
Short shift kit - £45
Wheel spacers - £100 (bought (thanks Phil 997))
Techart lowering springs - £350
Mesh front grills - £20
Transit Blu - £100 (bought)
Spray centre console to black - £20
LED rears - Hopefully £250 if I can find some second hand.
Alcantara Steering wheel(thicker rim) £340
Alcantara Handbrake handle+ small piece of trim behind it £70
Alcantara Gear lever+ boot £110
Alcantara Door card main inserts £400
Alcantara Door card pull handles+bin tops+small piece in between £550
Alcantara Console lid £180
Alcantara Lower dash £360

All up - £3,005 Surprised

The re-trim bits will be done later as new tyres, IMS upgrade (and clutch as it makes sense) and service will come first.


That's a good list!!
Any photos of the alcantara and details of who did it and (in particular) what colour it is?
Thanks.
_________________
997.1 C2 (full Hartech rebuild, Ohlins coilovers, ducktail, plus some other bits)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
Ex Audi A8 V8 4.2tdi (best all round car I will ever own?)
Ex Porsche Boxster 986
Ex Mazda MX5 mk1
Plus some other stuff that wasn't very interesting....
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911DG
Monza


Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 174



PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
911DG wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:
Gummi Pflege FOR YOUR WINDOW RUBBERS IN THE WINTER TO STOP THE GLASS STICKING TO THEM

CHANGE OIL TO MILLERS NANO 10W50

COLD AIR INDUCTION KIT WITH BMC FILTER

LOW TEMP THERMOSTAT

ACF-50 Anti Corrosion, DO THE WHOLE UNDERSIDE , ITS LIKE A MODERN OPTION TO WAXOYLE AND WILL PROTECT ALL YOUR PIPES AND BITS HELPS REDUCE CORROSION .(keep it away from your brake discs though )

Those are probably my top 5 for all owners whether you mod or like stock.

The other things are all very much personal taste and I could give you a list of 50 things to do Floor from 4" underdrive pulley and IPD throttlebody and plenum to 200cell cats performance wise
and carbon dipped scuttle to full aerokit body wise .
and a long list in between Floor but I would need written permission for you to spend 10k from your wife before getting into that Floor Floor
but looking forward to seeing others thoughts and what a great idea for a thread. Grin Thumb

Note I havent even mentioned acid green accents in this post Grin Thumb




Floor LOL - Man i've had 911s for 13 or 14 years and ive never even heard or thought of your Top 5 - WTF???? I bow to your knowledge worship

Gummi what? to stop the windows sticking?
Change the Oil? From Mobile 1 (if thats what they still use - no idea, i just give the car to em and say 'due for an oil change?) what does Millers Nano do????
Cold Air induction kit with BMC Filters and a Low Temp Thermostat? You're gonna have to explain both of those too Im afraid??? Dont know
HOWEVER - i am intrigued but all so please do tell.....

I wont even get started on the rest - IPD Throttlebody -????? what

Ha ha ha good stuff.

Cheers

Dan



Floor Floor Dan, OK a bit more detail from me.

Gummi Pflege is a stick of product avail from ebay , amazon etc. its a roll on and you add a coating around you door rubbers this stops the rubber sticking to the metal and glass on icey days the glass is the worst as it has to drop to open the door and when frozen the motor goes berserk and the glass wont go back up to drive away.

Millers Nano oil 10w50 is the oil advised by Hartech Its a thicker viscosity and helps reduce wear in the flat6 engine thats not very good at retaining oil so when you start the car cold your getting metal on metal with no lube Millers helps reduce this and it also circulates better to lube the parts of the engine that are notorious for suffering oil starvation especially number 4 and 6 which are the most common ones that suffer scoring on the few cars that this happens to but its a good preventative measure to try and ensure yours doesn't become one of the unlucky ones. .

cold air induction kit this is avail from design 911 and others its a smooth silicon pipe that goes between your throttle body and air box replacing the strange corrugated plastic one it comes with a resonator cap this and a bmc sports filter will massively change the way your car breathes if you listen to it its sort of a bit muffled and wheezy do this mod and it sounds some much healthier and adds a few BHP DUE TO MORE COLD AIR IN GIVES MORE BHP.

Low temp theromostat very cheap mod and is designed to protect and add longevity to the engine again recommended by Hartech for these cars.

ACF-50 Anti Corrosion in the old days to protect a cars underside and cables from premature corrosion the cars were waxoyled this did the job but was very messy and if you needed to get at the parts ever was a pain to clean off etc. Bikers were the first to identify ACF50 to help protect their bikes from corrosion as they couldnt really smother them in waxoyle. and it fed down into the car enthusiast market . its a cleaner more modern way to reduce premature corrosion under your car .

Hope those explanations help Grin Thumb
I would suggest that all 996 and 997.1 owners did those 5 things as a matter of course.

If you would like me to go into more detail re IPD 82mm throttle bodies and plenums, remaps , 4" underdrive pulleys , 200 cell cats xpipes, valved exhausts etc etc I can but there is quite a lot on the internet and this forum about the benefits of these and only needed if your chasing the locked up power in your engine. There are a number of little things Porsche do to restrict these engine to stop them getting to close to the flagship models some of this restricted power can be quite easily released if you want it to be .Some do and some are happy with the power thats there.

Grin Thumb Thumb DAN LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED A BIT MORE INFO ON ANY OF THESE MENTIONED Thumb



Love this thank you !!! All great stuff and All stuff I would never, and I mean Never have thought of or considered or known about - and probably ALL stuff I will do as soon as she's next in the shop. Man ... would have thought and that's just your Top 5 Grin

I am also very interested in unlocking as much power as possible. I'm a little restricted in that I'm about as mechanically minded as a cabbage - but that's ok ! Floor We can get to those bits piece by piece - I've only had her 4 or 5 weeks. Damn she's already Fantatasically quick !!!!
Thumb

Loving this thread.

Cheers

Dan
_________________
Now:
- 997 C2S Cab (black on black on black)

Then:
- 996 C2 Cab (Black with Red)
- 996 C4 Cab (blue with grey)
- 993 C4 Cab (Black ith beige)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911DG
Monza


Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 174



PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_p wrote:
911DG wrote:
rob_p wrote:
Great idea for a thread - well done that man!

For me-
Gundo (#1) £250ish
PCM swap out - varies but £500 to £1,000
Red seat belts - £200 if DIY on taking belts out
Centre console paint or carbon dip - £100-£200
Rear console lid from designLS - £150
GT3 smile vent - £100 if DIY

Look forward to following this one.....



RED seat belts.... Thumb Ive already looked at them on Ebay, with the red S and Red callis i think they would look great. I am a ZERO DIY man so do you know A) where the best place to get em is and B) who would fir em - local Indy?

PCM swap - i will do it at some but for now I've just got a £10 Doosl FM transmitter which is really Great for very clear Bluetooth tunes to the radio.

Cheers,

Dan.


Re the seat belts - you have 2 lots of 2 choices.

1 - fronts only or all four? I did all of mine but others have just done the fronts.... (note the rears are much harder/frustrating than the fronts - trim removal etc)
2- DIY or pay someone to do it

DIY is about £50 - you remove, and send off, they come back by return. Service includes a full renovation plus reweb in any colour you choose.
I think the fronts are very straightforward for any half competent diyer.
I used http://www.safetybeltservices.co.uk/index.html. And they were very good.

The second option is quite a bit more but I can't remember how much - I had my boxster done a few years ago. Maybe £250 for a pair? It was a home service so very convenient.
I used http://seatbeltservice.co.uk/ and also very good - just a different offer to above.

Good luck!


Magic - thanks very much - I have Zero intention of messing about with them myself but the mobile guys would be perfect and I've already called and left a message Smile. Front only is fine.
Any pics of yours ????

Cheers

Dan.
_________________
Now:
- 997 C2S Cab (black on black on black)

Then:
- 996 C2 Cab (Black with Red)
- 996 C4 Cab (blue with grey)
- 993 C4 Cab (Black ith beige)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911DG
Monza


Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 174



PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AslanC2S wrote:
911DG wrote:
AslanC2S wrote:
Only had the car 8 weeks and been away for 5 of those but my list is-

Gen 2 key- £20 (done)
Gundo hack - £90
Short shift kit - £45
Wheel spacers - £100 (bought (thanks Phil 997))
Techart lowering springs - £350
Mesh front grills - £20
Transit Blu - £100 (bought)
Spray centre console to black - £20
LED rears - Hopefully £250 if I can find some second hand.
Alcantara Steering wheel(thicker rim) £340
Alcantara Handbrake handle+ small piece of trim behind it £70
Alcantara Gear lever+ boot £110
Alcantara Door card main inserts £400
Alcantara Door card pull handles+bin tops+small piece in between £550
Alcantara Console lid £180
Alcantara Lower dash £360

All up - £3,005 Surprised

The re-trim bits will be done later as new tyres, IMS upgrade (and clutch as it makes sense) and service will come first.



Wow you seem to get stuff Super cheap? The Hack is costing me £300 from the same guy that seems to do everyones. £90 - are you doing it yourself???
Likewise the spacers are costing me £55 a corner so £220 all in as needs longer bolts....and thats 100 cheaper than anywhere else i got quoted.
Mesh front grills - I've seen for £120ish on ebay - but £20 - what is it, chicken wire Dont know ???

Dan


I had a quote from a local fabricators to supply and fit the hack with me removing and re-fitting the mufflers for £100. I've now found a bit of 1.5" pipe so will cut and shape the pipe myself so all they will have to do is cut the hole and weld it in.

Bought the spacers secondhand from Phil 997.

I'll mesh the front myself with mesh bought off ebay. Did it on my last Supra and looked great. Nice and slick with no surround around the mesh as it sits flush along the back.

Things like the lowering springs etc I'll fit myself.


Ok got ya ! That Explains it. All of those diy options are a no go but that's cool. Once again LOADS of other great ideas too!!!

Cheers

Dan
_________________
Now:
- 997 C2S Cab (black on black on black)

Then:
- 996 C2 Cab (Black with Red)
- 996 C4 Cab (blue with grey)
- 993 C4 Cab (Black ith beige)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Norfolk & Idea
Imola


Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Posts: 817
Location: South Yorkshire


PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigel99 wrote:
If its a Gen 2 then I'd recommend the Hayward and Scott center silencer bypass. Bargain for £400.

Gen 1 id replace the PCM with an aftermarket unit.

Also, either gen, H&R lowering springs will make a noticeable improvement to the stance, especially with the 15mm spacers.


I love the (lightly) slammed look and 15mm spacers. I made inquiries about it but was told it will compromise handling. Err, so that was the end of that. Open to differing opinions.
_________________
2012 997.2 Turbo Basalt Black
2008 Ducati 1098R (Track)
2016 Macan GTS
2008 Vito Sport- Household Star!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
resigner
Imola


Joined: 19 Dec 2013
Posts: 852



PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a couple from me.

New head unit if you have PCM 2.1, which is horrific.

Short Shift Kit, if it's a manual. Bargain ones on ebay are fine and can be done for not much money at all.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
rob_p
Imola


Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Posts: 767
Location: Leicester


PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911DG wrote:
rob_p wrote:
911DG wrote:
rob_p wrote:
Great idea for a thread - well done that man!

For me-
Gundo (#1) £250ish
PCM swap out - varies but £500 to £1,000
Red seat belts - £200 if DIY on taking belts out
Centre console paint or carbon dip - £100-£200
Rear console lid from designLS - £150
GT3 smile vent - £100 if DIY

Look forward to following this one.....



RED seat belts.... Thumb Ive already looked at them on Ebay, with the red S and Red callis i think they would look great. I am a ZERO DIY man so do you know A) where the best place to get em is and B) who would fir em - local Indy?

PCM swap - i will do it at some but for now I've just got a £10 Doosl FM transmitter which is really Great for very clear Bluetooth tunes to the radio.

Cheers,

Dan.


Re the seat belts - you have 2 lots of 2 choices.

1 - fronts only or all four? I did all of mine but others have just done the fronts.... (note the rears are much harder/frustrating than the fronts - trim removal etc)
2- DIY or pay someone to do it

DIY is about £50 - you remove, and send off, they come back by return. Service includes a full renovation plus reweb in any colour you choose.
I think the fronts are very straightforward for any half competent diyer.
I used http://www.safetybeltservices.co.uk/index.html. And they were very good.

The second option is quite a bit more but I can't remember how much - I had my boxster done a few years ago. Maybe £250 for a pair? It was a home service so very convenient.
I used http://seatbeltservice.co.uk/ and also very good - just a different offer to above.

Good luck!


Magic - thanks very much - I have Zero intention of messing about with them myself but the mobile guys would be perfect and I've already called and left a message Smile. Front only is fine.
Any pics of yours ????

Cheers

Dan.


Have a look below at my ownership thread. Also some other bits that might be relevant to this thread....

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=87976&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Looks like photobucket is still working for me!
thumbsup
_________________
997.1 C2 (full Hartech rebuild, Ohlins coilovers, ducktail, plus some other bits)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
Ex Audi A8 V8 4.2tdi (best all round car I will ever own?)
Ex Porsche Boxster 986
Ex Mazda MX5 mk1
Plus some other stuff that wasn't very interesting....
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
jonno_
Monza


Joined: 29 May 2014
Posts: 178
Location: Oxfordshire

2005 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LED interior and number plate lights. Looks so much better.
Zunsport grills to cover the rads and condensers.
Porsche jack and removal studs ( to stop caliper chips)
Ctek charger
_________________
997.1 Seal Grey c2s manual, ltt, mobridge, zunsports, carrera IIs (summer)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Yas Marina


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 8892
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911DG wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:
911DG wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:
Gummi Pflege FOR YOUR WINDOW RUBBERS IN THE WINTER TO STOP THE GLASS STICKING TO THEM

CHANGE OIL TO MILLERS NANO 10W50

COLD AIR INDUCTION KIT WITH BMC FILTER

LOW TEMP THERMOSTAT

ACF-50 Anti Corrosion, DO THE WHOLE UNDERSIDE , ITS LIKE A MODERN OPTION TO WAXOYLE AND WILL PROTECT ALL YOUR PIPES AND BITS HELPS REDUCE CORROSION .(keep it away from your brake discs though )

Those are probably my top 5 for all owners whether you mod or like stock.

The other things are all very much personal taste and I could give you a list of 50 things to do Floor from 4" underdrive pulley and IPD throttlebody and plenum to 200cell cats performance wise
and carbon dipped scuttle to full aerokit body wise .
and a long list in between Floor but I would need written permission for you to spend 10k from your wife before getting into that Floor Floor
but looking forward to seeing others thoughts and what a great idea for a thread. Grin Thumb

Note I havent even mentioned acid green accents in this post Grin Thumb




Floor LOL - Man i've had 911s for 13 or 14 years and ive never even heard or thought of your Top 5 - WTF???? I bow to your knowledge worship

Gummi what? to stop the windows sticking?
Change the Oil? From Mobile 1 (if thats what they still use - no idea, i just give the car to em and say 'due for an oil change?) what does Millers Nano do????
Cold Air induction kit with BMC Filters and a Low Temp Thermostat? You're gonna have to explain both of those too Im afraid??? Dont know
HOWEVER - i am intrigued but all so please do tell.....

I wont even get started on the rest - IPD Throttlebody -????? what

Ha ha ha good stuff.

Cheers

Dan



Floor Floor Dan, OK a bit more detail from me.

Gummi Pflege is a stick of product avail from ebay , amazon etc. its a roll on and you add a coating around you door rubbers this stops the rubber sticking to the metal and glass on icey days the glass is the worst as it has to drop to open the door and when frozen the motor goes berserk and the glass wont go back up to drive away.

Millers Nano oil 10w50 is the oil advised by Hartech Its a thicker viscosity and helps reduce wear in the flat6 engine thats not very good at retaining oil so when you start the car cold your getting metal on metal with no lube Millers helps reduce this and it also circulates better to lube the parts of the engine that are notorious for suffering oil starvation especially number 4 and 6 which are the most common ones that suffer scoring on the few cars that this happens to but its a good preventative measure to try and ensure yours doesn't become one of the unlucky ones. .

cold air induction kit this is avail from design 911 and others its a smooth silicon pipe that goes between your throttle body and air box replacing the strange corrugated plastic one it comes with a resonator cap this and a bmc sports filter will massively change the way your car breathes if you listen to it its sort of a bit muffled and wheezy do this mod and it sounds some much healthier and adds a few BHP DUE TO MORE COLD AIR IN GIVES MORE BHP.

Low temp theromostat very cheap mod and is designed to protect and add longevity to the engine again recommended by Hartech for these cars.

ACF-50 Anti Corrosion in the old days to protect a cars underside and cables from premature corrosion the cars were waxoyled this did the job but was very messy and if you needed to get at the parts ever was a pain to clean off etc. Bikers were the first to identify ACF50 to help protect their bikes from corrosion as they couldnt really smother them in waxoyle. and it fed down into the car enthusiast market . its a cleaner more modern way to reduce premature corrosion under your car .

Hope those explanations help Grin Thumb
I would suggest that all 996 and 997.1 owners did those 5 things as a matter of course.

If you would like me to go into more detail re IPD 82mm throttle bodies and plenums, remaps , 4" underdrive pulleys , 200 cell cats xpipes, valved exhausts etc etc I can but there is quite a lot on the internet and this forum about the benefits of these and only needed if your chasing the locked up power in your engine. There are a number of little things Porsche do to restrict these engine to stop them getting to close to the flagship models some of this restricted power can be quite easily released if you want it to be .Some do and some are happy with the power thats there.

Grin Thumb Thumb DAN LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED A BIT MORE INFO ON ANY OF THESE MENTIONED Thumb



Love this thank you !!! All great stuff and All stuff I would never, and I mean Never have thought of or considered or known about - and probably ALL stuff I will do as soon as she's next in the shop. Man ... would have thought and that's just your Top 5 Grin

I am also very interested in unlocking as much power as possible. I'm a little restricted in that I'm about as mechanically minded as a cabbage - but that's ok ! Floor We can get to those bits piece by piece - I've only had her 4 or 5 weeks. Damn she's already Fantatasically quick !!!!
Thumb

Loving this thread.

Cheers

Dan


Dan now I know your interested in unlocking some of the beasts inner anger Grin I will post my thoughts on that in the next day when I have a spare bit of time. Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
krispe
Monza


Joined: 05 Feb 2014
Posts: 182
Location: Northampton


PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Wheel alighnment £100 - Get as much negative front camber as possible (which is about -1.0- -1.2degrees with standard lower arms and top mounts) This will reduce understeer.

BMC Filter and Cold Air hose/plug. Not really much difference in performance but sounds amazing. Probably my favourite mod, above 5krpm you now hear the engine howl inside the cabin, sounds like a GT3 Mr. Green

Lowering Springs - 997 sits too high standard and looks wrong. I have Eibachs which I think are perfect, (H&R lower a bit more which I think personally is too much). My car actually rides better on Eibachs as they are progressive so a touch more supple to begin with then firm up more than standard when cornering hard.

Wheel spacers - These are pretty much essential if you lower the car as the wheels will disappear further inside in the arches when lowered. Go for 12 - 15mm all round. If you have a proper alignment as above there will be no rubbing at 15mm anywhere, the wheels will then be inline with the car the same as a 'GT' Porsche. The wider track will also improve handling.

Exhaust - This is to make the car sound better to other people, (with the windows up you don't really hear it that much which is why I think the BMC filter/cold air kit is better in terms of noise.) Too loud exhaust and you won't get on most track days and just annoy other people. A switchable exhaust would probably be best. Personally I would start though by sending your cats to Carnewal who will open them up and remove the 600 cell unit and replace them with a 200cel version. This will give more performance and a little extra volume at the same time.

TRACK DAY!!!!!! Take your car on track, it's the most fun you will have and Porsche builds all it's cars so that they can be used on circuit!! Start somewhere like Bedford Autodrome which is a very safe circuit with loads of grass run off. They do beginner evenings and you can get instruction (which I highly recommend you take at each circuit you first attend) for £20 for 20 minutes. Seriously everyone should take their Porsche on track once in a while Thumb
_________________
Seal Grey 997S - Now 3.9L engine with Hartech liners! Eibachs, H&R Rollbars,equal length manifolds, 200cel cats, RSS mounts
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Yas Marina


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 8892
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my thoughts on the simplest ways to unleash some of the locked up performance gains.

1.Cold air induction and BMC filter has to be the first its a simple cheap mod

2 Exhaust, lots of options, budget and sound are the deciding factors with this mod. Sports boxes either valvetronic so they act like PSE or just fixed most companies do 2, a mild sports and a full sports option .
The best value for quality ones are Topgear in Bridport this is what I had on my Gen1 ,I have a cargraphic full race set up on my gen2 but they are a much more expensive option and came with the car not sure if I would have parted with 6k if they hadn't already been on it.
200 CELL cats again options are as posted above get your OE modified or aftermarket are cross over or xpipe personal choice and both types have their supporters ,I chose big bore xpipe 200cell cats from topgear on my gen1
Finally headers again options are X51 style either OE or stainless from the states,in the UK the most chosen stainless option is equal length headers

The exhaust and primarily the 200cell cats are the single biggest power gain available without adding turbos or superchargers or getting into big bucks engine rebuilds etc.

3 IPD 82mm GT3 throttle body and plenum this replaces the smaller stock unit and requires a remap to get the best from this mod , This is the second biggest power gaining mod as it allows bigger air intake which combined with the improved gas exit from the new exhaust give the car impressive low and mid range gains which is ideal for someone looking for a fast road car as that's just where you want to see the gains in the range for everyday fun.

4. 4" underdrive pulley and shorter belt , this actually adds no bhp but what it does is redirect the oversupplied and unused energy in the cars other components to the rear wheels giving a small gain, but the biggest win for me with this mod was the slightly increased weight in the power steering the 997 has light steering compared with the 996 etc and can be a bit disconcerting this mod gives a much better feel to the steering and in turn adds confidence when corners and manoeuvring .

5.Remap, can be added anytime but is best as a final mod to bring together the mods listed above for optimum gains.

Those are IMO the best group of performance gaining mods without affecting the everyday drivability of the car , but getting the very best out of these engines and adding to the big grin factor of driving these cars.

There are things like lightweight flywheels etc but you are starting to change the characteristics of the car when you get into those things and start to compromise everyday drivability and start to get a more track focused car.

Other things to consider to aid handling and visual appearance are

Lowering the car , adding spacers , fitting semisolid engine mounts. these are all very popular mods and again a number of options are available .
if your wife hasn't left you after spending all the money on power mods
Floor Floor then we can get into that, unless you want to tweak the handling and stance prior to doing performance mods which many do. If you want more info on that let me know. Grin Thumb

I hope some of that was of use to you Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
P911X50
Trainee


Joined: 03 Jan 2017
Posts: 98
Location: Hertfordshire


PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Here's my thoughts on the simplest ways to unleash some of the locked up performance gains.

1.Cold air induction and BMC filter has to be the first its a simple cheap mod

2 Exhaust, lots of options, budget and sound are the deciding factors with this mod. Sports boxes either valvetronic so they act like PSE or just fixed most companies do 2, a mild sports and a full sports option .
The best value for quality ones are Topgear in Bridport this is what I had on my Gen1 ,I have a cargraphic full race set up on my gen2 but they are a much more expensive option and came with the car not sure if I would have parted with 6k if they hadn't already been on it.
200 CELL cats again options are as posted above get your OE modified or aftermarket are cross over or xpipe personal choice and both types have their supporters ,I chose big bore xpipe 200cell cats from topgear on my gen1
Finally headers again options are X51 style either OE or stainless from the states,in the UK the most chosen stainless option is equal length headers

The exhaust and primarily the 200cell cats are the single biggest power gain available without adding turbos or superchargers or getting into big bucks engine rebuilds etc.

3 IPD 82mm GT3 throttle body and plenum this replaces the smaller stock unit and requires a remap to get the best from this mod , This is the second biggest power gaining mod as it allows bigger air intake which combined with the improved gas exit from the new exhaust give the car impressive low and mid range gains which is ideal for someone looking for a fast road car as that's just where you want to see the gains in the range for everyday fun.

4. 4" underdrive pulley and shorter belt , this actually adds no bhp but what it does is redirect the oversupplied and unused energy in the cars other components to the rear wheels giving a small gain, but the biggest win for me with this mod was the slightly increased weight in the power steering the 997 has light steering compared with the 996 etc and can be a bit disconcerting this mod gives a much better feel to the steering and in turn adds confidence when corners and manoeuvring .

5.Remap, can be added anytime but is best as a final mod to bring together the mods listed above for optimum gains.

Those are IMO the best group of performance gaining mods without affecting the everyday drivability of the car , but getting the very best out of these engines and adding to the big grin factor of driving these cars.

There are things like lightweight flywheels etc but you are starting to change the characteristics of the car when you get into those things and start to compromise everyday drivability and start to get a more track focused car.

Other things to consider to aid handling and visual appearance are

Lowering the car , adding spacers , fitting semisolid engine mounts. these are all very popular mods and again a number of options are available .
if your wife hasn't left you after spending all the money on power mods
Floor Floor then we can get into that, unless you want to tweak the handling and stance prior to doing performance mods which many do. If you want more info on that let me know. Grin Thumb

I hope some of that was of use to you Thumb


Very useful info. Just wondering, would you need to also fit new actuators, diverter valves GTRS intercoolers etc when remapping or adding the IPD?

Thanks
_________________
Porsche 996 Turbo X50 with 9e exhaust
Evo 4 with Evo 8 MR Engine 360 bhp - Road Legal Track car
Previous
MR2 Turbo 280 bhp - Road Legal Track Car
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Yas Marina


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 8892
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P911X50 wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:
Here's my thoughts on the simplest ways to unleash some of the locked up performance gains.

1.Cold air induction and BMC filter has to be the first its a simple cheap mod

2 Exhaust, lots of options, budget and sound are the deciding factors with this mod. Sports boxes either valvetronic so they act like PSE or just fixed most companies do 2, a mild sports and a full sports option .
The best value for quality ones are Topgear in Bridport this is what I had on my Gen1 ,I have a cargraphic full race set up on my gen2 but they are a much more expensive option and came with the car not sure if I would have parted with 6k if they hadn't already been on it.
200 CELL cats again options are as posted above get your OE modified or aftermarket are cross over or xpipe personal choice and both types have their supporters ,I chose big bore xpipe 200cell cats from topgear on my gen1
Finally headers again options are X51 style either OE or stainless from the states,in the UK the most chosen stainless option is equal length headers

The exhaust and primarily the 200cell cats are the single biggest power gain available without adding turbos or superchargers or getting into big bucks engine rebuilds etc.

3 IPD 82mm GT3 throttle body and plenum this replaces the smaller stock unit and requires a remap to get the best from this mod , This is the second biggest power gaining mod as it allows bigger air intake which combined with the improved gas exit from the new exhaust give the car impressive low and mid range gains which is ideal for someone looking for a fast road car as that's just where you want to see the gains in the range for everyday fun.

4. 4" underdrive pulley and shorter belt , this actually adds no bhp but what it does is redirect the oversupplied and unused energy in the cars other components to the rear wheels giving a small gain, but the biggest win for me with this mod was the slightly increased weight in the power steering the 997 has light steering compared with the 996 etc and can be a bit disconcerting this mod gives a much better feel to the steering and in turn adds confidence when corners and manoeuvring .

5.Remap, can be added anytime but is best as a final mod to bring together the mods listed above for optimum gains.

Those are IMO the best group of performance gaining mods without affecting the everyday drivability of the car , but getting the very best out of these engines and adding to the big grin factor of driving these cars.

There are things like lightweight flywheels etc but you are starting to change the characteristics of the car when you get into those things and start to compromise everyday drivability and start to get a more track focused car.

Other things to consider to aid handling and visual appearance are

Lowering the car , adding spacers , fitting semisolid engine mounts. these are all very popular mods and again a number of options are available .
if your wife hasn't left you after spending all the money on power mods
Floor Floor then we can get into that, unless you want to tweak the handling and stance prior to doing performance mods which many do. If you want more info on that let me know. Grin Thumb

I hope some of that was of use to you Thumb


Very useful info. Just wondering, would you need to also fit new actuators, diverter valves GTRS intercoolers etc when remapping or adding the IPD?

Thanks


No you don't need to change any of those items on a NA car the Turbo cars might be a bit different. If you have a manual then many suggest fitting the third rad where the tip has its third rad in the centre
but the stock items seem to cope perfectly well. I had fitted a low temp thermostat which at £60 made sense to do but I never suffered any temperature issues. the IPD is really just allowing a lot more cold air in which it turn creates more power combined with the exhaust mods giving improved gas exit flow these are two areas that Porsche use to restrict the non flagship models that and a less sporty ecu map , So they are very easy mods to get some of the hidden power back , there are other more complex things they also change to create a GT3 etc but these mentioned will give your car noticeably more beans. And as most of the gains are in the very usable part of the power curve its very noticeable in a fast road car. Grin Grin Thumb interestingly the gen2 which as stock has more BHP than the gen1 actually comes with an 82mm throttle body so Porsche have done some of the same things in the gen2 to release more BHP they then use the plenum on the gen2 to restrict it so IPD sell only the bigger plenum with the V shape to improve smooth intake airflow on the gen2. the stock plenum is T shaped so very restrictive for smooth air flow and the V design is far superior.
Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
PJ997
Newbie


Joined: 30 May 2016
Posts: 24



PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 997.2 (non-S) I was looking for something to improve intake noise. At the time I came to the conclusion BMC filters in the standard airbox might be worth a try . . . but wasn't convinced. Any suggestions/experiences? Perhaps I need a full kit with Y pipe (which I can't find on Design 911) or is this a waste of money?

Mods on a 997.1 intake seem a lot easier.

Phil
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
James M-S
Monza


Joined: 11 Apr 2017
Posts: 156
Location: Derby


PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ997 wrote:
On my 997.2 (non-S) I was looking for something to improve intake noise. At the time I came to the conclusion BMC filters in the standard airbox might be worth a try . . . but wasn't convinced. Any suggestions/experiences? Perhaps I need a full kit with Y pipe (which I can't find on Design 911) or is this a waste of money?

Mods on a 997.1 intake seem a lot easier.

Phil


Pop Corn

I don't think there's many of us on here...
_________________
Manual 997.2 c2 :Basalt + gtechniq
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Yas Marina


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 8892
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ997 wrote:
On my 997.2 (non-S) I was looking for something to improve intake noise. At the time I came to the conclusion BMC filters in the standard airbox might be worth a try . . . but wasn't convinced. Any suggestions/experiences? Perhaps I need a full kit with Y pipe (which I can't find on Design 911) or is this a waste of money?

Mods on a 997.1 intake seem a lot easier.

Phil


You are right there is less available for the gen2 re induction , I have fitted 2 BMC filters and it does help the car breath better and increases air flow. I have asked someone who is friends with the director of sparco to look at designing a silicon smooth flow hose to replace the funny corrugated hose that runs from the airbox to the throttle body its a difficult design so not something we can easily fix with some off the shelf silicon hose.
I have settled for the BMCs at the moment as after lots of research on my gen 1 I came to the conclusion the stock airboxes were about as good as it gets for true cold air induction . The other options for the gen 2 are the twin cone Y pipe design fabspeed do one with a carbon panel between the filters and the engine, I honestly cannot see how that will be true cold air as there has to be some warm engine air pulled in which won't damage the engine but will lose power.
But what you can do to the gen2 to give it a nicer sound is fit the haywood and scott rear muffler delete cross over pipes,£430 very well spent and can be easily put back to stock in the future for resale etc.

https://www.haywardandscott.com/porsche/porsche-997-gen-2-centre-silencer-replacement-pipe.html

hope that's some food for thought Thumb Grin
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
PJ997
Newbie


Joined: 30 May 2016
Posts: 24



PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already got H&S and PSE . . . . . just a boy racer at heart Smile

Love your new center console and door inserts (on the other thread) . . . can I be rude and ask how much wicked coatings charged you (perhaps PM). My car is aqua metallic and could do with a lift like that.

Phil
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Yas Marina


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 8892
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ997 wrote:
I've already got H&S and PSE . . . . . just a boy racer at heart Smile

Love your new center console and door inserts (on the other thread) . . . can I be rude and ask how much wicked coatings charged you (perhaps PM). My car is aqua metallic and could do with a lift like that.

Phil


I have PMed you Phil Thumb

lol If you have PSE and the H&S then sound wise you should be pretty happy the BMC filters will be worth fitting not for the sound over the exhaust lol but to help the car breath better and adds a few BHP. Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
nigel99
Suzuka


Joined: 16 Jul 2015
Posts: 1062
Location: Surrey

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfolk & Idea wrote:
nigel99 wrote:
If its a Gen 2 then I'd recommend the Hayward and Scott center silencer bypass. Bargain for £400.

Gen 1 id replace the PCM with an aftermarket unit.

Also, either gen, H&R lowering springs will make a noticeable improvement to the stance, especially with the 15mm spacers.


I love the (lightly) slammed look and 15mm spacers. I made inquiries about it but was told it will compromise handling. Err, so that was the end of that. Open to differing opinions.


I've had the spacers and lowering springs since Christmas and haven't noticed any difference in handling. The spacer make a big difference to the stance. In mod terms they are low cost diy job so if you didn't like them could easy reverse and sell on here. Sometimes I regret lowering because I don't like to hear scrapping when I drive over speed bumps or in car parks. Looks good though Very Happy
_________________
Current: 2009 997.2 C2S
Previous: 2008 Cayman 2.7, 2002 Audi TT, 1999 BMW 318!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 11 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum