Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Airchamber for 993

madge

Montreal
This autumnal weather we're having has got me thinking towards my car's winter lay-up.

As my garage is dusty and I'm not keen on fitted covers I'm quite interested in an airchamber. This is the rigid type not the inflatable bubble.

Has anyone got one for their 993 and what size did you get? The website indicates that 'small' is the size to get but it would be reassuring to get some real-world confirmation that it is the correct size before I buy.

Also, is the quality decent? I don't want something that's going to fall apart after one use.

Many thanks.

airflow-6-025a1.jpg

If you want one pm me and I'll put you in touch with a mate who is the supplier of these. I had one for my Sunbeam lotus. Very sturdy, thick vinyl and work ok. If you were driving in and out regular they can be a faff zipping up/down but if you lock it away for months it's fine.
I've gone the other way and sealed my garage now and put a rotary dessicant dehumidifier in there set at 50% rh wh8ch works well.
Either way is fine for storage just disconnect battery

I've also heard that with these Carcoon type setups that if there is any moisture hidden in the car that it may start/accelerate corrosion. How true this is is open to debate I guess. Good luck with the search.

With the greatest respect, this is surely the first waypoint on the road to insanity??!!

Why would it be? If you don't drive in winter and want to maintain a pristine car then do it under controlled humidity and temperature ie like most serious classic car collectors would. If you keep the humidity around 40% and temperature changes to a minimum your chances of corrosion are lower. Obviously these are no good for daily or weekly drivers however.
Some kind chap spent 7 yrs restoring my previous classic, and when I sold it 3 yrs later there wasn't any evidence of a rusty bolt or fastener never mind any panel rot in a car known for falling apart at the first sign of damp :D

highway said:
With the greatest respect, this is surely the first waypoint on the road to insanity??!!

I thought they could be obtained through the Illuminati office shop :dont know: Standard issue to 993 owners surely :grin:

I thought he was still trying to find his path to Wales, where he was meeting us? The illuminati were assembled and ready for his interview

..... I think he was frightened of having to open his wallet ...... ;)

........ and yes we were all waiting in excited anticipation for true valuations of our 993s ....... :grin:

ChrisT70 said:
If you want one pm me and I'll put you in touch with a mate who is the supplier of these. I had one for my Sunbeam lotus. Very sturdy, thick vinyl and work ok. If you were driving in and out regular they can be a faff zipping up/down but if you lock it away for months it's fine.
I've gone the other way and sealed my garage now and put a rotary dessicant dehumidifier in there set at 50% rh wh8ch works well.
Either way is fine for storage just disconnect battery
Thanks for that Chris. Very useful. I'll be in touch if I do decide to go for one. :thumb:

Jet Jock said:
I've also heard that with these Carcoon type setups that if there is any moisture hidden in the car that it may start/accelerate corrosion.
The sales pitch says that a fan keeps air moving through the chamber and actually removes moisture. :dont know:

highway said:
Surely a touch of insanity is a prerequisite for 993 ownership? :puh: :eek:ut:

What they don't say in adverts is that the quality of the air that they circulate is key. I had my car in one of these in a barn over one winter and returned to it with the interior covered in mould. The air it was circulating was clearly quite damp.

Fast forward to the following winter, and I had the barn spray foam insulated and stored it the same way: no mould to speak of.

I think it's a great idea. I have several cars stored at a facility which uses Carcoons. Totally agree about the humidity. Seem to remember 50% is ideal. This humidity prevents rust but stops leather and rubber drying out too much apparently.

Having said that, I am also going for a sealed garage with Calorex dehumidifiers installed.

Hope this does not qualify me for Zingari's Illuminati membership? :D

To answer the OP's question, I have an air chamber, it is 5m by 2.2M it is longer than necessary and you could get away with a smaller size but the extra 20cm width means you can always get out of the car if you drive in without unzipping the side flap. Mine is parked in a normal UK, dampish, garage. I have never had a mould problem and I love the fact that if I put the car away clean it comes out clean. I have been using it for over 10 years and it is just starting to disintegrate. I will definitely be replacing it although I may be buying a Cair-O-Port as I like the fact that the frame is outside. Hope this helps.

I have two cair o port and haven't been impressed with the quality. I'm in the market shortly and won't be buying another.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back