Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another 'should I change my IMS bearing' thread

trig_112

Yes, another 'should I change my IMS bearing' thread, but before you all wring your hands, shout at the screen and give the usual replies, hold on a second.

When I bought my car, it had an invoice to say an IMS single row bearing retrofit kit had been installed, along with a new RMS/clutch. All good I thought, the pin is back in the grenade.

But, after seeing a few comments about the LN engineering bearings, I'm not sure the pin is fully secure in the grenade, more like just about in, slowly falling out.

I'm a little worried, because the indy that fitted it thinks the part number on my invoice related to a LN kit, which seem to have a higher failure rate than the original Porsche one.

So, back to the title question. Its been about 10k miles since the LN went in. Should I be looking at getting it replaced?

I'm not expecting the answer to be 'GET IT OUT NOW!', should I be budgeting for it to be done at the next service?

The problem is that you can't know whether it's on its way out unless you take it out and examine it. I would budget for replacement with a stock bearing, just with the dust cover removed, in 10-15,000 miles' time. Obviously you should carefully examine your oil filter at each service for signs of breakup, but really the best you'll be able to do with this is informed guesswork rather than 'it's definitely on its way out'..

Do you have other maintenance tasks that would make sense to be done at the same time? Clutch, AOS, that tensioner you can't get to with the engine in place etc? If so it would make sense to take care of everything at once- if of course the price is acceptable. Otherwise I'd leave it until you do have other tasks to help make sense of the cost.

What's the mileage of the car now?

955matt said:
Just drive the car and dont worry about what might happen.

:D :D

That. Just get on with it.

If it goes massive tits up then the monetary risk isn't massive.

I'd wait until the opportunity arises (like a clutch change), then have a gander at what's there and take action from there.

They also voted in Donald Trump :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Annoyingly the clutch and RMS were done at the same time so in theory it is the IMS bearing that needs replacing next.

I got confirmation from the indy that fitted it, it is a LN bearing, replacement schedule is 40k miles, to replace it will be £1800 +vat.

It was done 13k miles ago, so leaving it a few years shouldn't be a problem. As suggested, leave it until something else needs doing, like the dreaded brake pipe corrodes and deal with it when the engine and box is dropped.

1. They ripping you off quoting £1800 to change the bearing.

2. Engine doesn't need dropping to replace the brake pipes if cunifer pipe is used (more superior than the rubbish ones Porsche fit). My mechanic charged me £80 to replace my pipes.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back