Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Importing my LHD 997.2 into the UK - Few questions!

Rich_r

Hi all

I'm based out in the Middle East and I'll be most possibly returning to Blighty after 8 years of been away. I want to bring my low mileage 997.2 C4S with me, which I've owned for a few years. Now I appreciate it will be LHD etc etc but the car means a lot to me and the real plan will be to move to Europe at some point and as a returning Brit, I'm tax/duty exempt on the car, so financially make sense!

Soo, having read some things and getting into the details of shipping etc, I need to do a few things on the car for the IVA test

1) Replace the rear light cluster for RHD ones. This is due to the rear fog light been on the wrong side.

Where is the best place to get a set of these? I see ULO is a company that sells them new, but I can assume these are NOT OEM quality? Will I have much luck with salvage/eBay?

2) Front lights. I assume these can be adjusted for RHD?

3) Underseal/Waxoyl - Since the car has been in a very dry climate, is it worth having this done when the car lands in the UK. There is zero rust on the car, even the exhaust bolts etc are pretty much rust free!

4) Is the Sharkwerks by-pass pipe MOT friendly? Or shall I swap this back for the original to be on the safe side?

Anything else I need to consider? The speedo can toggle to miles/MPH. I've contacted Porsche for a Certificate of Conformity as well.

Thanks!

Hi Rich, I've trodden a similar path in recent months having returned from Riyadh and bringing my LHD car over! Your questions with what answers I could come up with:

1. Yes, try eBay, you'll only need the right hand cluster.

2. I believe so; UK C16 cars have a switch somewhere on the inside of the lighting unit to divert the beam over so I'm assuming the same for Gulf spec cars also.

3. Any form of rust protection will be useful as your car will be exposed to rain water and road salts come winter time.

4. Can't comment on this. Is the Sharkwerks a switchable unit like the OEM PSE?

I was unable to get a certificate of conformity for my car (a Jaguar) as apparently the manufacturer doesn't issue these for non-EU spec cars. If you can get this then you may be exempt form the IVA.

~ Maxie

Maxie said:
Hi Rich, I've trodden a similar path in recent months having returned from Riyadh and bringing my LHD car over! Your questions with what answers I could come up with:

1. Yes, try eBay, you'll only need the right hand cluster.

2. I believe so; UK C16 cars have a switch somewhere on the inside of the lighting unit to divert the beam over so I'm assuming the same for Gulf spec cars also.

3. Any form of rust protection will be useful as your car will be exposed to rain water and road salts come winter time.

4. Can't comment on this. Is the Sharkwerks a switchable unit like the OEM PSE?

I was unable to get a certificate of conformity for my car (a Jaguar) as apparently the manufacturer doesn't issue these for non-EU spec cars. If you can get this then you may be exempt form the IVA.

~ Maxie

Hi Maxix

Appreciate the reply! Hope your relocation went well.

I can see Design911 sell genuine OEM clusters, so I might just order from there (unless I find one on eBay etc). If I move to Europe I can eBay the cluster later and refit the LHD ones. Good to know I only need the right side cluster.

I spoke with Porsche UK and they won't give me the certificate of conformity because the car is not for the EU market. So looks like IVA is the only way.

I will re-fit the standard centre section and remove the Sharkwerks for the IVA (and MOT) and refit afterwards.

I've checked my Gulf spec 911 manual and it does detail on how to change the headlights to RHD. Hopefully this will suffice for the IVA test.

:)

I just imported my car over from Dubai in Jan although I haven't had the time to register it yet.

Mine is a 2009 Turbo but its the 997.1.

1. The rear lamps are the same as UK ones. Its actually the wiring harness that is different. So a wire just needs to be brought across to the other lamp on the 997.1 and you don't need the new cluster. You should check if its the same on the 997.2.

My clusters are originally from the UK, design911 tequipment.

2. I opened my front lights, they have switches you just flip. Pictures attached.

3. I think there is no need for under seal. I have asked a few places and am told they are all the same from factory in Germany to Middle East.

4. No idea.

As to the IVA I am just going to wait till mine hits its 10th birthday for registration as it is 10 years from date of manufacture and mine should be somewhere in 2008. Then only needs MOT.

I might trailer the car to a few mile events beforehand.

Also I had spoken to the IVA centre, the mph digital read out is fine.

yEUEzxH.jpg

GfETeAk.jpg

116618LN said:
I just imported my car over from Dubai in Jan although I haven't had the time to register it yet.

Mine is a 2009 Turbo but its the 997.1.

1. The rear lamps are the same as UK ones. Its actually the wiring harness that is different. So a wire just needs to be brought across to the other lamp on the 997.1 and you don't need the new cluster. You should check if its the same on the 997.2.

My clusters are originally from the UK, design911 tequipment.

2. I opened my front lights, they have switches you just flip. Pictures attached.

3. I think there is no need for under seal. I have asked a few places and am told they are all the same from factory in Germany to Middle East.

4. No idea.

As to the IVA I am just going to wait till mine hits its 10th birthday for registration as it is 10 years from date of manufacture and mine should be somewhere in 2008. Then only needs MOT.

I might trailer the car to a few mile events beforehand.

Also I had spoken to the IVA centre, the mph digital read out is fine.

yEUEzxH.jpg

GfETeAk.jpg

Firstly, 116618LN - I'm a Rolex fan as well.

Thanks for the informative post! I'll check out the rear cluster to see if the fog light is there on the right side. If its a case of just re-wiring to the other side, this will make it even easier!

Cheers :)

Just small update for anyone else who will be bringing in a LHD to the UK.

You do not need a new rear cluster or any wiring to get the rear fog light on the right side (on the 997.2 anyway).

You just simply need to swap over the PCB inside each light cluster:-

1) Remove the lights from the car
2) Remove the torx screws and gently open the cluster.
3) Single torx screw holds in the circuit board, remove that.
4) Gently remove the two connectors to the circuit board.
5) Fit circuit board from other cluster.
6) Replace the cover, install the screws and refit the lights to the car.
7) Test all the lights.
8) Done!

15 minute job maximum!

Basically saved £500 for a new cluster!

Thats lucky!

Looks like it should be a pretty cheap import after all.

Looks like JVT?

Hello neighbour!

Have you decided who you are shipping it with?

I'm thinking of taking my turbo out to the middle east (either Oman or Qatar). Was it pretty simple to get permission to ship it to dubai? I know they drive on the other side of the road.

e92 said:
I'm thinking of taking my turbo out to the middle east (either Oman or Qatar).
Check with the authorities on this. If you are going for a holiday then it ought to be ok. However, if you are going to live there and re-register your car on a Gulf plate, they might not register a car over 5 years old. That is the case in Saudi Arabia. Unsure of other GCC countries.

~ Maxie

e92 said:
I'm thinking of taking my turbo out to the middle east (either Oman or Qatar). Was it pretty simple to get permission to ship it to dubai? I know they drive on the other side of the road.

You won't be able to register a RHD vehicle in Dubai so you'll have to go through Sharjah to do the registration.

Import tax is 5% of vehicles insured value, registration and other admin charges will amount to about £1500.

Again all for bringing in a car into the gcc via the UAE. If your final destination is Qatar that is going to be a different ball game and won't be possible thro the gcc.

Thanks guys. The idea was to relocate there temporarily for a say 5 years or so. I have a feeling most of the gcc countries wouldn't allow a car older than 5 years old to be registered. This sort of puts a fly in the ointment as I wouldn't want to just leave my car in the UK without it been driven (I don't ever plan on selling my car :grin:)

e92 said:
....as I wouldn't want to just leave my car in the UK without it been driven (I don't ever plan on selling my car :grin:)
I did exactly this. Once parked up in the garage, disconnect the battery altogether and cover the positive/negative terminals with old cloths. Leave the bonnet ajar and lock the garage. Every six months I would come back to the country, re-connect, and it started first time. Useful to put an indoor car cover on too.

~ Maxie

116618LN said:
Hello neighbour!

Have you decided who you are shipping it with?

Ha, small world! I've seen a few 911's in JVT, are you the chap with the silver 997 turbo or orange 997 GT3?

Not confirmed 100% yet, but most likely with Ship My Car. They have good reviews and seem to know exactly what they are doing once the car lands in the UK (in terms of IVA testing etc). I'm just waiting to confirm how much personal belongings I have and to see if they will fit in a 20ft container with the car.

I've had a few quotes for purely shipping the car that came in around 8000AED (with no Insurance) another came in at 12000AED.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back