Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Interesting issue with 996.1 key central locking

kurlykris

Singapore
Over the last few weeks the ignition key for my 996.1 had become more and more intermittent as to whether it worked or not, the LED was lighting up on button press, but sometimes not unlocking the car :sad:

Well tonight it just didn`t want to work at all, LED lighting up but not unlocking the car howerer I pointed the key, despite having a new battery :nooo:

I resigned myself to the fact that I`d have to get a new key and get it coded, say £300 or so :nooo:

Me being an engineer decided to open said key up and have a look under a magnifying glass. The tiny little microswitch solder point was cracked on one side, so out with the soldering Iron, refreshed the solder for a nice solid joint, decided to refresh the solder on the battery +/- solder joints as well.

Lo and behold, key working perfectly again :thumbs:

The moral of the story, just because your key button doesn`t work anymore despite the LED flashing, all may not be lost, take it apart and have a good look under a magnifying glass, it might be a 15 minute job to fix it and save yourself £300 odd :thumb:

Many thanks for this, mine is playing up at the moment too, and i just changed the battery..

kurlykris said:
The moral of the story, just because your key button doesn`t work anymore despite the LED flashing, all may not be lost, take it apart and have a good look under a magnifying glass, it might be a 15 minute job to fix it and save yourself £300 odd :thumb:

Top stuff
tophat.gif

:thumb:

kurlykris said:
Over the last few weeks the ignition key for my 996.1 had become more and more intermittent as to whether it worked or not, the LED was lighting up on button press, but sometimes not unlocking the car :sad:

Well tonight it just didn`t want to work at all, LED lighting up but not unlocking the car howerer I pointed the key, despite having a new battery :nooo:

I resigned myself to the fact that I`d have to get a new key and get it coded, say £300 or so :nooo:

Me being an engineer decided to open said key up and have a look under a magnifying glass. The tiny little microswitch solder point was cracked on one side, so out with the soldering Iron, refreshed the solder for a nice solid joint, decided to refresh the solder on the battery +/- solder joints as well.

Lo and behold, key working perfectly again :thumbs:

You may or may not be aware also that your fob wont unlock your car if you have not used it for 6 days. You have to use your key in the lock old school style. Once you have turned the ignition on the 6 day countdown starts again.

I rarely use my 996 so every time I take it out of the garage I have to use the key in the lock.

Picked the porker's key up this morning to find the LED light on continuously; went to unlock the car using the remote button but no response. Used the key in the lock without issue, car also started first time.

Did a bit of research on here and on Rennlist, with results ranging from get ready to pay £200+ for a new unit from OPC to just take battery out and reverse it for a few seconds before reinstalling correctly.

The one that I followed - and worked first time - was to open the cob, remove the battery for a few seconds then reinstall.

Yet again, Porsche forums come to the rescue :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back