Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 8
997 : 2004- 69
996 : 1997-2005 44
993 : 1993-1998 10
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

A11ykf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Electrical Help - Exhaust Valves Reply with quote

I purchased a set of valvetronic mufflers second hand recently. The seller had left the control kit in his car when he sold it so I attempted to get a new one from the original exhaust supplier. The company supplying the kit sent me a vacuum operated control kit but the valves are electronically operated so that is no use and they seem to be having some issues now establishing if we can get an electronic control kit for them. I am not sure why not and I am currently still waiting for an answer.
So with absolutely no knowledge of electrical stuff my question is how difficult and what sort of parts would someone who did know what they were doing with electrics need to sort this?
If I bought the PSE switch for the centre console then what else would I need to make that operate the solenoids on the mufflers to open and close?

Phil 997
Shanghai
Shanghai

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask who the exhaust supplier is because if its top gear then a drive to bridport HQ and they could swap out the bits that were connected to the old fob and replace and it wouldnt be silly money to do that.

What area are you if your anywhere near bournemouth you welcome to come round and try the 2 key fobs I have here spare and some other bits for a valve set up not sure what I have but its part of the valve set up with the 2 fobs . Thumb

Demort
Estoril

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled valvetronic muffler and the images i saw where all vacuum operated valves .. is this definetly an electric valve ?

Any links ?

As if its a vacuum system the the standard vacuum valves can be wired to an on off switch .

7pm - 9pm

A11ykf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Can I ask who the exhaust supplier is because if its top gear then a drive to bridport HQ and they could swap out the bits that were connected to the old fob and replace and it wouldnt be silly money to do that.

What area are you if your anywhere near bournemouth you welcome to come round and try the 2 key fobs I have here spare and some other bits for a valve set up not sure what I have but its part of the valve set up with the 2 fobs . Thumb

The exhaust is from topgear and unfortunately I am in the Scottish Highlands. The issue is on this exhaust the valves are opened electronically with the solenoids on the valves it looks like. They said it was a one off for some reason. The ones they normally supply use vacuum operated valves. I am trying to understand how the solenoids work? I was thinking maybe you just send power to them and they open and remove it and they close or am I wrong in thinking that?

A11ykf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:
I googled valvetronic muffler and the images i saw where all vacuum operated valves .. is this definetly an electric valve ?

Any links ?

As if its a vacuum system the the standard vacuum valves can be wired to an on off switch .

No links unfortunately as they are saying it was a one off system. I think Alex at topgear may be looking to make a control kit for it but in case he can't I was trying to find another solution. I will swing by the garage tomorrow and get a couple pics of the valves.

Phil 997
Shanghai
Shanghai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on a positive its a top gear system, So you can be 100% sure Alex and the team will go the extra mile for a resolution , dont forget to let him know your a forum member as they regard this forum and its members highly.
Interesting you say it was a one off as I had heard about this electronic valve set up once before on here and had though it was a system they were switching over to but clearly it was a prototype or custom job or something.
Keep us posted on progress, a PM to Ducatirob will give you the info on hardwiring it to the PSE panel switch as he has done that mod already .
Thumb Thumb

Demort
Estoril

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picts would help as an electric valve is new to me .. need to know how many wiring pins are on the valve for the exhaust .. if 2 then its a simple on off .. if three then theres a feed back and it regulates the degree of opening .

7pm - 9pm

DucatiRob
Suzuka

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting that they are not vacuum operated, it would be great to see a pic of the valve itself! If not vacuum then they must be motor controlled, all you need to know is if the motors are still attached to the valves, can't think why they wouldn't be!

The standard top gear valvetronic controller should do the job, you just wouldn't need the vacuum solenoid, and depending on wherther there is any electronics built into the motors a simple motor controller in its place!

An alternative to the top gear remote operation is replacing the switch unit in the console with a PSE type and linking up to a latching relay, I can send a link to my thread if interested as this is what I have done!
Ducati 996

A11ykf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiRob wrote:
Very interesting that they are not vacuum operated, it would be great to see a pic of the valve itself! If not vacuum then they must be motor controlled, all you need to know is if the motors are still attached to the valves, can't think why they wouldn't be!

The standard top gear valvetronic controller should do the job, you just wouldn't need the vacuum solenoid, and depending on wherther there is any electronics built into the motors a simple motor controller in its place!

An alternative to the top gear remote operation is replacing the switch unit in the console with a PSE type and linking up to a latching relay, I can send a link to my thread if interested as this is what I have done!

Rob you might be my savior here .
The valves look like this

I tried to get the guy in the garage to get a photo of the connections before he put the bumper back on but photography was not his strong point. He informed me there are 4 pins in the socket.

These valves are controlled with a controller kit like this

https://www.topgear.co.uk/bmw-style-electronic-valve-kit-with-controller-fobs-and-2-5-inch-63mm-valve?search=valve%20kit

Now that is for a single exhaust but the same idea although a double one might be more expensive and I really can't fork out that money for a controller.
I see from that controller that it can be opened or closed via the remote or also via the accelerator. I don't care about it working with the accelerator I would just like simple open or closed as you would get with the vacuum system but maybe I am off the mark in thinking it would be fairly simple for a man with some electrical knowledge to make that happen?

Phil 997
Shanghai
Shanghai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiRob wrote:

Ah Rob, I knew you would be along at some point with some pearls of wisdom
as I know what a PITA it was when you did it but it did meant you really got into the bones of it. Thumb hope your keeping well mate

DucatiRob
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
DucatiRob wrote:

Ah Rob, I knew you would be along at some point with some pearls of wisdom
as I know what a PITA it was when you did it but it did meant you really got into the bones of it. Thumb hope your keeping well mate

Cheers Phil Thumb All good thanks!
Ducati 996

DucatiRob
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A11ykf wrote:
DucatiRob wrote:

Rob you might be my savior here .
The valves look like this

I tried to get the guy in the garage to get a photo of the connections before he put the bumper back on but photography was not his strong point. He informed me there are 4 pins in the socket.

These valves are controlled with a controller kit like this

https://www.topgear.co.uk/bmw-style-electronic-valve-kit-with-controller-fobs-and-2-5-inch-63mm-valve?search=valve%20kit

Now that is for a single exhaust but the same idea although a double one might be more expensive and I really can't fork out that money for a controller.
I see from that controller that it can be opened or closed via the remote or also via the accelerator. I don't care about it working with the accelerator I would just like simple open or closed as you would get with the vacuum system but maybe I am off the mark in thinking it would be fairly simple for a man with some electrical knowledge to make that happen?

That is one expensive valve controller Surprised Surprised Surprised

Unfortunately your pics aren't being displayed!

I can see from the topgear pics that the remote fobs and the receiver (black box of tricks in the middle) look to be the same as the ones supplied with the standard vacuum operated valvetronic exhausts. Guessing the other unit is the accelerator/speed actuator.

If you could get the wiring diagram from topgear that might help!
Ducati 996

911tom
Albert Park

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could do with an image of the valves themselves. If you are happy with the remote fob as used by many with the vacuum controlled exhaust you should be able to use the same device via a relay...

As this is going to an electric actuator then I would expect to see 3 connections, earth, open and close. The relay connections would look like;

00000000000000000000000000000------------------- Valve open
+12V--------------------------
00000000000000000000000000000------------------- Valve close

+12V signal-------------WWWWWWWWW--------------EARTH
from fob receiver

* WWWWW represent the coil

Upload a image and we can go from there. FYI OP photo bucket is no longer free. You need to use a different site or pay photo bucket the equivalent of 6 tank fulls of V power. I know which I'd choose!
350Bhp astra van for work Surprised

DucatiRob
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a good google looking for electrically operated exhaust valves, there are some but can't find one that looks like the topgear item. I expect they are motor controlled but possibility there is some sort of solenoid or linear motor actuation! The OP said the connection is a 4 pin but they may not all be used! I would have thought TG should at least be able to put the OP in tough with the manufacturer!
Ducati 996

Demort
Estoril

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 4 pin would probably be the feed / earth to operate and a potentiometer to tell the control unit its position .

Thats my guess anyways Smile

7pm - 9pm

DucatiRob
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:
A 4 pin would probably be the feed / earth to operate and a potentiometer to tell the control unit its position .

Thats my guess anyways Smile

My thinking too Dermot as most likely, but could be anything, assuming that all four pins are actually used Dont know
Ducati 996

A11ykf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of response I am currently away from home working so everything is on hold. I had an email from Alex @ Topgear a while back saying he would get his technician to call me as the manufacturer of the stuff he uses is in Taiwan so not the easiest to get hold of. This is the only image I have at the moment but unfortunately it does not show the connections. I will try and get some better ones once I am home. As I would love to get this working.

https://ibb.co/kfmMZv

DucatiRob
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A11ykf wrote:
Sorry for the lack of response I am currently away from home working so everything is on hold. I had an email from Alex @ Topgear a while back saying he would get his technician to call me as the manufacturer of the stuff he uses is in Taiwan so not the easiest to get hold of. This is the only image I have at the moment but unfortunately it does not show the connections. I will try and get some better ones once I am home. As I would love to get this working.

https://ibb.co/kfmMZv

Never seen anything like that before! There doesn't seem to be any mechanical actuation of the valve outside of the exhaust flow, unless I am not seeing something!
Ducati 996

Demort
Estoril

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bit that looks like burnt wires is a steel loop that moves the exhaust flap .. like you this is a new one on me !

7pm - 9pm

DucatiRob
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:
I think the bit that looks like burnt wires is a steel loop that moves the exhaust flap .. like you this is a new one on me !

Ahh...yes, you may well be right Dermot! If it were me I'd be whipping the cover off the cover off to have a peek inside, soon see how it works and how to connect it up!
Ducati 996

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: