Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 9
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 41
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 9
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

scoot
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Zunsport Mesh Grilles for 991.2 GTS Reply with quote

I see Zunsport have 991.2 GTS grilles for sales now. So if anyone gets them please let us have your feedback/review as interested in these when I get my car.

https://www.zunsport.com/en/porsche-carrera-991.2-GTS-full-grille-set
EX - 997.1 C2S MY2005, Manual, Sport Chrono, Atlas Grey

huwcymro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Zunsport Mesh Grilles for 991.2 GTS Reply with quote

scoot wrote:
I see Zunsport have 991.2 GTS grilles for sales now. So if anyone gets them please let us have your feedback/review as interested in these when I get my car.

Have ordered a complete set for my 991.2 GTS should receive beginning of August.

scoot
Monza

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Zunsport Mesh Grilles for 991.2 GTS Reply with quote

huwcymro wrote:
scoot wrote:

Have ordered a complete set for my 991.2 GTS should receive beginning of August.

Look forward to your feedback Thumb

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Not very taken with how they fit. Seems like they are wedged in. I can see they will keep stones and debris out, but I suspect they will chaffe paint away where they are prised in as they seem to be held in by friction/pressure.

Don't think they are for me! Question

scoot
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weejimmy wrote:
Hmm. Not very taken with how they fit. Seems like they are wedged in. I can see they will keep stones and debris out, but I suspect they will chaffe paint away where they are prised in as they seem to be held in by friction/pressure.

Love the look, but have similar concerns to you in terms of fit and state of bumper upon removal.

huwcymro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Zunsport Mesh Grilles for 991.2 GTS Reply with quote

scoot wrote:
huwcymro wrote:
scoot wrote:

Mine arrived today, they are held in by clips which you bend outwards behind the lips once in position. the centre ones are held by 2X 2" self tapper screws. Very pleased with the results.

IMG_8629.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.64 KB
 Viewed:  2938 Time(s)

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8628.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.46 KB

IMG_8628.jpg

IMG_8631.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.98 KB

IMG_8631.jpg

BigCat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weejimmy wrote:

§

Well of course you have only the photos to look at and you are making assumptions without knowing the facts of how these grilles are fitted.

I can speak with more knowledge on this than anyone as my 991.2 GTS was the Donor car, the bodywork is not affected at all by the grilles, there is no way they will take paint off it's just not possible unless you do not follow the fitting instructions, they fit right inside the black trim aperture the fit is made by the clips not by pressure or friction there is zero risk of "chaffing" as there is simply no contact or movement between the grilles and the surrounding painted bodywork of the bumper. The alternative is the potential impact damage to the radiators and the definite fact that the fins on those radiators will get damaged which will happen after just a few hundred miles. Anyway I'm very satisfied with what I have. It didn't cost me anything apart from two trips to Zunsport but I would have gladly paid £200 for them had my car not been the donor car.

scoot
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Zunsport Mesh Grilles for 991.2 GTS Reply with quote

huwcymro wrote:
scoot wrote:
huwcymro wrote:
scoot wrote:

Mine arrived today, they are held in by clips which you bend outwards behind the lips once in position. the centre ones are held by 2X 2" self tapper screws. Very pleased with the results.

They look fab thumbsup

scoot
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigCat wrote:
weejimmy wrote:

§

Well of course you have only the photos to look at and you are making assumptions without knowing the facts of how these grilles are fitted.

I can speak with more knowledge on this than anyone as my 991.2 GTS was the Donor car, the bodywork is not affected at all by the grilles, there is no way they will take paint off it's just not possible unless you do not follow the fitting instructions, they fit right inside the black trim aperture the fit is made by the clips not by pressure or friction there is zero risk of "chaffing" as there is simply no contact or movement between the grilles and the surrounding painted bodywork of the bumper. The alternative is the potential impact damage to the radiators and the definite fact that the fins on those radiators will get damaged which will happen after just a few hundred miles. Anyway I'm very satisfied with what I have. It didn't cost me anything apart from two trips to Zunsport but I would have gladly paid £200 for them had my car not been the donor car.

Thanks for the details sounds like a good option and really like the finish thumbsup

Gorsh
Trainee

2018 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do look good, but bending the clips to hold them in place worries me - not for fitting them as that's straightforward, but are they just as easy to remove? How do you get at the clips to bend them outwards again so the grilles will come off?

I would want to take them off occasionally to clean around the radiators as dust and small particles accumulates and turns into a solid mud like substance which will cause corrosion if not cleaned.

BigCat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorsh wrote:
They do look good, but bending the clips to hold them in place worries me - not for fitting them as that's straightforward, but are they just as easy to remove? How do you get at the clips to bend them outwards again so the grilles will come off?

I would want to take them off occasionally to clean around the radiators as dust and small particles accumulates and turns into a solid mud like substance which will cause corrosion if not cleaned.

The clips are made from spring steel and you insert a thin screwdriver through the mesh to release the clips which grip around the inside edge of the black trim. Fitting is the reverse process you don't need to bend them far so they return to the same position when they release.
Rather than ask questions here go to Zunsports web site and look at the fitting video which was made when they fitted them to my car as this shows how it's done. They have been on my car for over a month now and 700 miles and nothing has accumulated behind the grilles. If you are concerned then an alternative is to leave out the inner grilles so you can reach in behind, this would be the same as a GT3 which has no mesh on the innermost apertures.

Gorsh
Trainee

2018 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigCat wrote:
Gorsh wrote:

The clips are made from spring steel and you insert a thin screwdriver through the mesh to release the clips which grip around the inside edge of the black trim. Fitting is the reverse process you don't need to bend them far so they return to the same position when they release.
Rather than ask questions here go to Zunsports web site and look at the fitting video which was made when they fitted them to my car as this shows how it's done. They have been on my car for over a month now and 700 miles and nothing has accumulated behind the grilles. If you are concerned then an alternative is to leave out the inner grilles so you can reach in behind, this would be the same as a GT3 which has no mesh on the innermost apertures.

Thanks for your explanation, I will look into them further. I am reassured that they will come off easily and will stand up to removal and refitting a few times. I had a Boxster GTS with the large unprotected intakes and after a summer trip of 2000 miles in Scotland there were a few little road chippings in there (which the grilles would stop) and also enough small bits combined with dust which had become a mud settled all along the bottom edge of the rads - cleaning this out when necessary is why I raised the matter of removing them.

BigCat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorsh wrote:
BigCat wrote:
Gorsh wrote:

Thanks for your explanation, I will look into them further. I am reassured that they will come off easily and will stand up to removal and refitting a few times. I had a Boxster GTS with the large unprotected intakes and after a summer trip of 2000 miles in Scotland there were a few little road chippings in there (which the grilles would stop) and also enough small bits combined with dust which had become a mud settled all along the bottom edge of the rads - cleaning this out when necessary is why I raised the matter of removing them.

I have found that small debris particles like bits of insects just wash out with a jet wash on a light setting, mine have not been off yet to clean behind. The test will be a 700 mile drive to Geneva in a few weeks time. Overall I'm very please with the results and I think it makes the front look "finished"

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigCat wrote:

Actually it was based on watching their installation video! Dont know

BigCat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weejimmy wrote:
BigCat wrote:

Actually it was based on watching their installation video! Dont know

Well photos or watching a video is not quite the same as experiencing the actual fitting. Mine have been on for over a month with no issues and I have removed them and replaced with no scratching of the paintwork. It does suggest in the instructions that you protect the painted areas with masking tape which was done by Zunsport when they fitted mine but I didn't bother when I took them off and replaced them as there is very little risk of that happening if you are careful. As for being wedged in that is simply not true they clip in position. But your choice, for me it's a no brainer to have those grilles in place and protect the radiators from impact damage. Take a look at the fins on your radiators and I guarantee you will find several bent if you have covered even a just a few hundred miles.

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I am reassured about how the side grills clip in and out. What's the deal with the self tappers on the centre grills?

BishBosh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having cleaned out the radiators twice now in the last 2 weeks I went for a set of these for my car.
Driving up to the Lakes for the weekend (Cartmel Races) thought I'd drop into Zunsport and have them fitted.

Have to say I'm very pleased with how they look.

20170824_130431964_iOS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.53 MB
 Viewed:  1973 Time(s)

20170824_130431964_iOS.jpg

BishBosh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side View

911 Grill View1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  863.86 KB
 Viewed:  1955 Time(s)

911 Grill View1.jpg

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ... I ended up ordering a set of these as I like the way they look and was reassured on the fixing mechanism.

I decided not to fit the center three as I didn't like the idea of screwing self tapping screws into the body work of the car 'blind' for the center unit. Just seemed a bit agricultural to me and unnecessary since the center one is a blank anyway. Likewise the next two out as they aren't in direct airflow and provide useful access in behind the outer two.

The outer pair look very smart, but when you insert them as per the instructions they are under stress as they bend around the bar that goes horizontally across the aperture.

This pic shows them in place with no pressure applied. You can see them resting on the bar and also the gap getting wider higher up.

This one is pushing them into place, so bending them around the horizontal bar. You can improve it with pressure, but the gap is still there as the grill sits on the top of the vane.

The gapping around them is also 'variable', close in some places and quite wide in others. The gapping is better if you really force them, but then they are definitely putting pressure on existing parts.

They do locate in place firmly and wont damage the paint, but I am not convinced on how well they would stand up to repeated removal and refitting given you are bending metal tabs. I also think they will chafe where they are touching so are likely to mark the car. You definitely cant take the middle one off again if you've fitted the two self tappers without exposing the self tapped holes... and I really wanted something that wasn't going to mark the car at all, so if I chose to I could stop using them.

So whilst if I stood back I like the way they looked, I couldn't bring myself to fit them to my pride and joy as for me they fall short of the fit and alignment of the rest of the vehicle. My OPC had a 991.2 GT3 in when I was there a day or two ago and the grills fitted to that are night and day better.

It looks like the Turbo versions are fitted in smaller sections under the vanes and not over them and I think the GTS set would work better if it was the same. So a two part set instead of a single part that exerts pressure on the existing vane.

When I looked closer at other peoples pics of the GTS set I could see the same gapping and the same issue with them being under stress. I guess we all have different views on what is a good fit!

Anyway, Zundsport were excellent and refunded me my money with no quibbles. So a big thumbs up for their customer service. This specific grill set just isn't for me.

Gorsh
Trainee

2018 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for post weejimmy. I have had my GTS for a month now and still hadn't ordered them - as you say only the outside ones are protecting the radiators, and I do like the look of my car as it is - I've been imagining them in place and thinking that I don't really want them. Zunsport are obviously appreciated by many happy customers but in this instance your photos have helped me finally decide not to bother.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: