Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Moving from 997.1 to 991.1

Rob325114

I'm looking to move from my current 997.1 Cab C2S to a 991.1 Coupe C2S over the coming months. I'm happy to be patient and wait for the right vehicle spec/colour to come along, and given my experiences with the 997.1 (5 figure Hartech rebuild) I am only considering vehicles that have Porsche warranty - preferably purchased directly from the Porsche used approved portfolio.

I have a few questions I thought people on this forum might be able to help with. Admittedly some of these are probably basic; but I have only ever purchased privately, or from indy garages, and never at this value.

1. If I am buying directly from Porsche, do I still need to get an independent inspection? Is there anything I need to be looking out closely for on the 991.1 - particularly things that won't be covered under warranty? I haven't heard of any catastrophic issues on the 991, like the ones I experienced on the 997 (bore scoring).

2. How much wiggle room do you have on a transaction with OPC. i.e.
- Will they entertain negotiation on the price of the 991.1?
- Will they entertain negotiation on the px value of my 997.1?
- Will they entertain adding bundles to "sweeten" the deal? I'm thinking extended warranty, service packs, roof rack... anything?!

3. The headline OPC finance rate looks to be 9.9%, which is much higher than something you can arrange separately through a broker. Is there any hidden benefit to the OPC finance that I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance, this should help me be better armed when I enter into conversations.

Rob325114 said:
I'm looking to move from my current 997.1 Cab C2S to a 991.1 Coupe C2S over the coming months. I'm happy to be patient and wait for the right vehicle spec/colour to come along, and given my experiences with the 997.1 (5 figure Hartech rebuild) I am only considering vehicles that have Porsche warranty - preferably purchased directly from the Porsche used approved portfolio.

I have a few questions I thought people on this forum might be able to help with. Admittedly some of these are probably basic; but I have only ever purchased privately, or from indy garages, and never at this value.

1. If I am buying directly from Porsche, do I still need to get an independent inspection? Is there anything I need to be looking out closely for on the 991.1 - particularly things that won't be covered under warranty? I haven't heard of any catastrophic issues on the 991, like the ones I experienced on the 997 (bore scoring).

- Will they entertain adding bundles to "sweeten" the deal? I'm thinking extended warranty, service packs, roof rack... anything?!

3. The headline OPC finance rate looks to be 9.9%, which is much higher than something you can arrange separately through a broker. Is there any hidden benefit to the OPC finance that I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance, this should help me be better armed when I enter into conversations.

Rob just from personal experience, to question 1 don't see any need for a PPI especially on a 991, all my experiences with OPC (Wilmslow and Belfast) have been if anything goes wrong or is found to be wrong it gets sorted without quibble. The only thing I'd do is a detailed check myself bodywork, alloys, brake callipers, interior etc to make sure it's as new condition wise or get put back to new before purchase. For OPC prices has to be A1+ :thumbs:

Re 2 you don't get unless you ask, I certainly got 2000 off a 46 grand car, and if you choose wisely sometimes the warranty can be 3 years anyway, any remaining from the last owner is added to the 2 years, so the average OPC maintained car is likely to have more than 2 years.

Re yours I wouldn't entertain a trade in, with the Hartech it's an easy sale to an enthusiast, and as you say the % rate for loan with OPC is a rip off, go elsewhere. Good luck happy hunting...

As Sponge says.

Your car would be punted through the trade and my experience of part ex values from OPC (even on cars they will retail approved used) are shoite :what:

Plus the mark up on a sale you can negotiate some discount wit no PX

spongebob squarepants said:
Rob325114 said:

Rob just from personal experience, to question 1 don't see any need for a PPI especially on a 991, all my experiences with OPC (Wilmslow and Belfast) have been if anything goes wrong or is found to be wrong it gets sorted without quibble. The only thing I'd do is a detailed check myself bodywork, alloys, brake callipers, interior etc to make sure it's as new condition wise or get put back to new before purchase. For OPC prices has to be A1+ :thumbs:

Re 2 you don't get unless you ask, I certainly got 2000 off a 46 grand car, and if you choose wisely sometimes the warranty can be 3 years anyway, any remaining from the last owner is added to the 2 years, so the average OPC maintained car is likely to have more than 2 years.

Re yours I wouldn't entertain a trade in, with the Hartech it's an easy sale to an enthusiast, and as you say the % rate for loan with OPC is a rip off, go elsewhere. Good luck happy hunting...

Great advise :agree: and I think that 5% would be the max you would get knocked off and you would have to negotiate hard for that and SBSP's 2k off 46k spend is right on the money there. No benefit in paying the OPC % on finance better to look else where. :thumb:

Thanks for your thoughts Spongebob & Zingari. My budget puts me in an early 991 - probably a 2012 model. Should I assume the car should be nearly perfect at this age? I've always purchased older models, so expected a bit of wear - but want to make sure I am getting the best from the OPC.

I'm pleased to hear there's possible wiggle room on OPC prices.

I asked an OPC informally about my car previously, and they confirmed with a non-OPC rebuild they wouldn't be allowed to re-sell it, even if it was otherwise spanking condition with low miles. Hence they would offer me a fairly poor px value. I'll get it up for sale privately whilst I wait for the right 991 to come along - I best get a move on, given it's a cab!

Rob325114 said:
Thanks for your thoughts Spongebob & Zingari. My budget puts me in an early 991 - probably a 2012 model. Should I assume the car should be nearly perfect at this age? I've always purchased older models, so expected a bit of wear - but want to make sure I am getting the best from the OPC.

I asked an OPC informally about my car previously, and they confirmed with a non-OPC rebuild they wouldn't be allowed to re-sell it, even if it was otherwise spanking condition with low miles. Hence they would offer me a fairly poor px value. I'll get it up for sale privately whilst I wait for the right 991 to come along - I best get a move on, given it's a cab!

Rob I would get an ad on here and start a thread about selling it as there are always guys on here looking for hartech rebuilt 997.1s and there seems to be a thread almost every week about someone or another on the hunt for one.

Phil 997 said:
Rob325114 said:

Rob I would get an ad on here and start a thread about selling it as there are always guys on here looking for hartech rebuilt 997.1s and there seems to be a thread almost every week about someone or another on the hunt for one.

Thanks Phil - I will do just that. If you see anyone after a 997.1 manual C2S cab, send them my way :)

Rob325114 said:
Phil 997 said:
Rob325114 said:

Thanks Phil - I will do just that. If you see anyone after a 997.1 manual C2S cab, send them my way :)

will do mate :thumb: good luck and keep up posted on both the sale and purchase :thumb:

Rob personally I'd expect the absolute best from an OPC even on a 5 year old car, plus the 991 is plentiful. it has to be to a set minimum standard, see here- for example the bodywork

http://www.porschewilmslow.co.uk/approved-pre-owned-cars

However things like minimum 3 mm tread are open to negotiation, if it were me with 3 mm I'd want a new tyre!.... and the servicing due within 3 months I'd be thinking you need to service this unless it's been done Like last week!

As Phil says get yours advertised on here Hartech rebuild is rare amongst a sea of cars without it :thumbs:

Rob some good advice here. I moved from a 997.1 to a 991.1 from OPC Silverstone 18 months ago. The part-ex was OK would have got a much more private, just didn't want the hassle especially as it was my daily driver. OPC customer service and sales experience was excellent. They pushed my 997 out via a non OPC dealer in their empire. Finance on used not great APR so you are better off with third party someone like Oracle who seem to be more competitive for used not so much for new.

Warranty is a great plus as mine went in in the first couple of months with a split coolant expansion tank at another OPC and is about to go in this week for an electric window button replacement (well hoping its covered).

As above on all points.
From my experience of OPC I would expect the car body work to be perfect in every way.
On tyres my OPC always tried to recommend replacement at nearer 5mm so I would expect that as a minimum.
The have wiggle room on the finance. I've only ever bought new from Porsche but they are always prepared to shift down. Doubt you would get lower than mid to high 7s at the moment though.
Try Lombard for finance as well. I got a stupid low rate on my 991 recently.
What fun hunting for the right 991 :D
Best of luck.

Thanks all, some great advice here. Plan of action as follows:

1. Put my car up for sale on here, PH and Autotrader.

2. Secure external finance "in principle" - I'm seeing 5.3% to 7.3% available at some brokers. I would expect to be at the lower end of that bracket.

3. Keep my eye out for a strong 991 that fits my requirements

4. If 3 comes before 1 is completed, consider cost of holding two cars for a few months vs. loss on px

As an aside, I want to make my own car excellent for sale: Can anyone recommend a good place to get turbo alloys refurbished in London? Diamond cut of course :roll:

scoot said:
Rob some good advice here. I moved from a 997.1 to a 991.1 from OPC Silverstone 18 months ago. The part-ex was OK would have got a much more private, just didn't want the hassle especially as it was my daily driver. OPC customer service and sales experience was excellent. They pushed my 997 out via a non OPC dealer in their empire. Finance on used not great APR so you are better off with third party someone like Oracle who seem to be more competitive for used not so much for new.

Warranty is a great plus as mine went in in the first couple of months with a split coolant expansion tank at another OPC and is about to go in this week for an electric window button replacement (well hoping its covered).

Thanks Scoot. If I brought the car directly from an OPC that was quite far away, rather than getting my local OPC to bring it in, do you find the local OPC is then not as keen to help if things need fixing on the warranty? Or are they usually pretty good?

I like the idea of going to informally view a vehicle on it's home turf, rather than feeling like I'm obliged to buy something because my local OPC has gone through the trouble of bringing it to the centre.

Rob325114 said:
Can anyone recommend a good place to get turbo alloys refurbished in London? Diamond cut of course :roll:

Got to be Chris at excel wheels, he will drop off a loan pair of wheels while he sorts yours out.

apollokre1d said:
Rob325114 said:
Can anyone recommend a good place to get turbo alloys refurbished in London? Diamond cut of course :roll:

Got to be Chris at excel wheels, he will drop off a loan pair of wheels while he sorts yours out.

:thumb: Legend; have emailed

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back