Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 17
997 : 2004- 65
996 : 1997-2005 31
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 6
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 18
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 3
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

DW 996turbo
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few photos from a recent road trip I took with a few friends through mid and north Wales.

by Dave W, on Flickr

by Dave W, on Flickr

by Dave W, on Flickr

by Dave W, on Flickr

by Dave W, on Flickr

by Dave W, on Flickr

The trip was fantastic and the car performed faultlessly with no issues other than its huge thirst for super unleaded. The 997 has a sports system fitted so sounded awesome every time it went past. The BMW is a 650 so the V8 sounded pretty mean as well.

Jonathon555
Österreich

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They work for me Very Happy

DW 996turbo
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jon, thanks very much mate. Thumb

Hope your still enjoying yours after getting it back.

DW 996turbo
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my reasons for initially signing up to this forum and starting this thread, was to try and keep me motivated for this next project. This was the most ambitious modification I've attempted so far and at times, I felt I may have bitten off more than I could chew. I needed to try and stay motivated to keep spending hour after hour, slowly pushing the project forward.

I'm a big fan of the Cayman GT4 side intake scoops. I had also seen something similar briefly on the 991 GT2RS test mule. I was interested in trying to make something along those lines for my car. There was a guy in the states who was producing similar scoops for the 996 turbo, but their design wasn't quite to my personal tastes.

The technique I was using to make them was taken from a series of YouTube videos I'd seen by someone called Russell Dennis or 'STIGZ'. He makes one off custom fibreglass pieces of bodywork from scratch and after watching a few of his videos, I felt I could use those same techniques to build my own set of GT4 inspired side scoops. I'd had no prior experience working with these materials, but decided to give it a go anyway......

The first stage was to thoroughly mask the rear quarter panels and intakes so I didn't get any of the materials I was using on the paintwork. I also needed to then cover the masking tape layer with brown packing tape so that nothing would stick to the surface. The next phase was to start sculpting the shape of the scoop in potters clay. There were a few design ideas I wanted to try and incorporate into these side scoops. I wanted to try and have the front edge of the scoop mimic the line of the door edge in front of it. I also wanted to try and get as close as I could to mimicking the lines of the rear arches along the top of the scoops. It took a long time for me to be happy with the overall shape and to get the clay as smooth as I wanted it.

Untitled by Dave W, on Flickr

It's probably a good thing that I didn't realise at this stage, quite how much work would be involved in seeing this project through to the end.

DW 996turbo
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next stage was to wet the clay and then cover it in tin foil. Once this was done, I had to cover the tin foil layer in sellotape. The tape is to stop anything sticking to the foil or the clay. At this stage I was able to get an idea of what the curves of the scoop would look like with a glossy surface.

Next was the messy part. I then covered the scoop in two layers of fibreglass. I used 200gsm fibreglass cloth for this, as the cloth is apparently easier to lay over more complex shapes than the fibreglass mat. The resin I used was David's Fastglas resin from Halfords.

This was the first time I had worked with fibreglass and I found this stage a bit tricky. After leaving it for 24 hours it was ready to be removed from the car. It was more difficult to remove than I was expecting, but with a bit of patience it came off without any issues. The clay was then removed, but I left all of the masking tape in place. After all that hard work, I was left with this disastrous looking thing below.......

Now that I had the basic shape of the scoop done, I had to reinforce it with a few more layers of fibreglass to stiffen it up. I added three more layers to the inside of the scoop and reattached it to the car while it was drying to help it maintain the correct shape. 24 hours later I had part of the scoop ready for the next stage.

The other part would be the section that actually joins the scoop to the car. I'm sure there would've been better ways to do this, but I decided to create a 'C' shaped piece that I would bond to the outer scoop to allow me to have the outer edge of the scoop go all the way up to the rear quarter panel. Hopefully the pictures will do a better job of explaining what I mean by that.

I used three layers of fibreglass for this. Once this piece was fully dry, I was able to remove it and all the masking tape and packing tape from the car. Thankfully, despite all the horrible and messy materials I'd been using, my paintwork survived.

DW 996turbo
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After trimming away the overhanging lip from the outer piece, I was able to bond the two pieces together with two layers of fibreglass strips on the outside edge. Once this had dried I did the same on the inner edge as well to make sure the two were securely attached. The scoop was taped to the intake each time to keep its shape.

Now that both parts of the scoop were bonded together, I was able to use my trusty dremel to trim away a lot of the excess material. This was the first time I had anything even resembling what I had in mind, but it was still a long way from being finished yet.

The basic shape now needed to be refined a bit before I could take it any further. First I needed to trim the leading edge of the scoop. I tried to get it as close as I could to the line of the door edge. It wasn't perfect, but it was fine for this stage of the process. After a bit of sanding of the fibreglass, this is what I had at this stage.

DW 996turbo
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I was happy with the first side scoop, I needed to build one for the other side. This was quite difficult as they needed to be the same size and shape. I'd seen a few different ways of doing this and decided to try the following method. Using a laser level I put several lines down the scoop and then made cardboard templates that touched the lines along the length of the scoop. This was more time consuming than I realised, trying to get them accurate, with lots of trial and error. I'm sure there would've been better ways of doing this, but now that I had my cardboard templates I was able to try and replicate the scoop on the passenger side. In some ways building the second scoop out of clay was a little easier as I'd already had a bit of practice, but it was also more difficult as it now had to be a specific size and shape to match up with the other side.

After many hours of layering fibreglass and sanding, here are the two side by side. They didn't come out exactly the same, but they were close enough for me to make up the difference in the next stage with body filler.

This was the stage that seemed to take the longest. I had the basic shape of two side scoops, but I now needed to make them look a bit more substantial and try to get them smooth enough for painting. I also had the task of trying to get them similar enough to not cause me any problems with airflow to the intercoolers and also, I didn't want to be embarrassed handing them over to the bodyshop for painting. At the end of the day, they may be home-made but I certainly didn't want them to look home-made.

This is how they looked during the early stages of being built up with body filler. Not very pretty, but you get the idea.

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided that you are a bit crazy...

Y2K
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOW did I miss this thread? Outstanding.

Some mad skillz and ballsy stuff there! I particularly like your GT3RS bumper air vents mod Thumb

Great number plate and cool FTO also.

DW 996turbo
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSC911 - Haha! I think I might have to agree with you on that one. Thumb

Y2K - Thanks very much mate, glad your enjoying the thread. Cheers for the compliments. I'd love to swap the FTO for a DC2 type R one day.

Deakmeister1
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoying your post mate - as with any modification some will like it some won't - I personally like a lot of what you have done - you have put a lot of work into it too fair play Thumb

Desert Dragon
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all the mods and the wheel choice a clever option. Still think it looked miles better completely stock but no doubt the quality of the work and its nice that the turbo now reflects more the personality of the OP.
Seal grey on silver turbo II twists very classy.

captain caveman
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DW 996 Turbo
Where you from? can't be to far from me looking at your past photos.

DW 996turbo
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deakmeister1 - Thanks very much, really appreciate that mate. Glad your enjoying it.

Desert Dragon - Cheers mate, glad your a fan of the mods so far.

I know what you mean about the totally stock look though, I sometimes look at photos of it from years ago and wonder if I've made the right decision. I've come too far to turn back now though. Thumb

captain caveman - Hey mate, I'm based in Cardiff. I spend most of my time in the car around the Brecon Beacons though. How about yourself?

captain caveman
Silverstone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebbw Vale, Brecon Beacons are on my door step Mr. Green

Jamesyg
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mate - your nuts! Floor

Love it though. Really admire both your workmanship and approach to built a car that meets your needs.

If you are ever over North wales / Cheshire / Shropshire again let me know. I live on the border of all 3 - be good to grab a coffee and take a look at the motor!

Moodytunes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates. Enjoying the read and level of workmanship you apply to everything you do. Well done.

Desert Dragon
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DW 996turbo wrote:

Desert Dragon - Cheers mate, glad your a fan of the mods so far.

I know what you mean about the totally stock look though, I sometimes look at photos of it from years ago and wonder if I've made the right decision. I've come too far to turn back now though. Thumb

A reminder - best looking 996 for me Grin

DW 996turbo
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain caveman - Nice place to be, there's some amazing roads around there. I'll keep an eye out for you next time I'm up there.

Jamesyg - Thanks again mate, always appreciate the kind words. I'll definitely give you a shout if I'm up that way again, would be good to meet up. Hope everything goes well with the sale of yours. I look forward to seeing its replacement.

Moodytunes - Thanks mate, glad your enjoying the thread.

Desert Dragon - Haha! Thanks for that mate, it made me smile. Very Happy It did look good like that......but I'm happy with my decision. Thumb

Desert Dragon
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fab with or without your mods - next maybe get some modern suspension, rods, turbos and 800bhp via 9e/ESM and turn it into a rocketship Thumb

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: