Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Button on rear view mirror

chriscoates81

Suzuka
Hi guys so my daughter discovered a button on the side of the rear view mirror that I've never noticed in 4 years of ownership lol. Any ideas on what it does? Note that I don't mean the anti dazzle button.

Are you sure it's a button. :?:

Not many people know that there's a light emitting diode there. Next time you lock your car in the dark have a look. It, and one in the armrest, fade away after a few minutes.

T8 said:
Are you sure it's a button. :?:

Not many people know that there's a light emitting diode there. Next time you lock your car in the dark have a look. It, and one in the armrest, fade away after a few minutes.

I've only just discovered that after 18 months of ownership. :lol:

See p.48 of the handbook.

Do a google search on Porsche orientation lights . Definitely fitted to 986.996 and I believe 997 gen1

I'm sure it clicks when I press it. I'll snap a picture and upload it later on today when I get to work. I wasn't sure if it turned of any sensors in the car like if you lock it with a dog in.

So heres the picture, apologies if it doesnt embed right.
y4mZbYZfpHy1zWul06YN8RL82x1AZGVGXU-C8qWIYyCDFE5hFlhkwT4RUSWIpjVJ9S4_VRGn1dOazE13UFihh0lM6HyBMZw5gDwsF2UaFfAhJ-CgD57PpFyGE8l5enxsI7S3u3jybr_SPzzSJULE-9G7byNHpVHZ2gK4wnDVN5NhrvEOqgOWRMYLn6fMPsRl4HgKr0i6ERDFpK6de-a1KFCOw
[/img]

That's the release button to remove the auto-dim RVM from the windscreen bonded base bracket.

chriscoates81 said:
I'm sure it clicks when I press it. I'll snap a picture and upload it later on today when I get to work. I wasn't sure if it turned of any sensors in the car like if you lock it with a dog in.

y4mZbYZfpHy1zWul06YN8RL82x1AZGVGXU-C8qWIYyCDFE5hFlhkwT4RUSWIpjVJ9S4_VRGn1dOazE13UFihh0lM6HyBMZw5gDwsF2UaFfAhJ-CgD57PpFyGE8l5enxsI7S3u3jybr_SPzzSJULE-9G7byNHpVHZ2gK4wnDVN5NhrvEOqgOWRMYLn6fMPsRl4HgKr0i6ERDFpK6de-a1KFCOw
[/img]

P.48/49 of YOUR HANDBOOK!

Y2K said:
chriscoates81 said:

[/img]

P.48/49 of YOUR HANDBOOK!

Ill check when i get in the car tonight. In hindsight maybe i should of checked there first.

GT4 said:

What's the point of it then as there's the normal cabin lights to orient yourself with?

If I recall correctly the orientation LED,s come on when the lights are used. The brightness of the LED,s can be changed via the PCM, the button on the mirror turns them on and off. Orientation lights are supposed to help the driver acclimatise to the cockpit .

The LED,s are in the door handles, roof/mirror console and ignition switch . Looks like the come when the doors are unlocked.

Attachments

• img_0116_121.jpg
    img_0116_121.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 5,971
I always wondered what the LED on the back of the door handle was.. even better.. I now know how to switch it on :thumb:
In honesty I previously presumed it was a sensor for the alarm :oops:

edge said:
The LED,s are in the door handles, roof/mirror console and ignition switch . Looks like the come on when the doors are unlocked.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back