Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic dash gear indicator

#Aero

I've had an annoying little niggle on my car since I bought it, the gear indicator on the dash doesn't always display correctly for 3rd gear only. Most of the time when it's in 3rd the light for 2nd is a bit brighter and sometimes the light for 5th is on instead. The 3rd light does work, just rarely and when it does it can flicker between 3rd and 2nd.
I'm assuming it's a dodgy connection somewhere but don't know where to look!
It's a 98 Carrera 2.
Anyone have some advice? Thanks

This is pretty much a needle in a haystack im afraid .. best guess ..

Its a CAN bus system so the tiptronic sends a data message to the instrument cluster which displays the gear .. BUT this is an early system so it may be hard wired ..

On the wireing diagram i have found a possible wire that sends this info ..

Tiptronic control unit pin 25 , its a WT/GR colour and it goes to connector 2 and pin 17 of the instrument cluster .. it also goes throught a connector block which could have a bad connection .. corroded in other words .

This is going to be a bit involved to find a fix but the manuals are here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83491

And it you want to trace it ill look into it a bit further to see if i can help .

Thanks! Very useful. It would be interesting to know where the connector might be, hopefully not buried behind the dash

If you download the wiring diagram from that link then you need sheet 22 in the list , you will also need the tiptronic sheet and the instrument sheet , on the tip sheet you can see its called a tip range indicator hence i think it might be this wire .

The connector is a blue 21 pin , its designation is X2/6 BLUE and the location is 12DQ which would make it by the front seat belt fixing on the floor pan and just behind the passengers seat .

To access this you will need the seat out , the side plastic trim over the carpets removed , the rear panel removed , pull up the carpet .. you will then see a long plasastic guard .. remove this and there will be x2 connectors there one of which will be blue ( with the rear panel removed you can peer down the hole and see them )

pin 16 is the one you want .

However i do know that sometimes the locations for things will be opposite so in this case it could be the same but on the drivers side .

The instructions do list it as the same position for LHD and RHD though so i would start there and i have in the past found a pulled wire in a connector block there but that was for an ABS fault .

Basically if you dont find it there but do find it on the other side then dont shout at me :p

This is only part of the diag process though , it may well end up being a faulty instrument cluster .. control unit .. multi funtion switch etc etc .

For the instrument cluster then it could be a dry solder joint .. you would need to strip it and have a look for anything obvious .

Fitting a donner instrument cluster as a check would be the fastest thing to do .. but youll need a donner cluster :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back