Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Gen2 Sat Nav Version

kg149

Hi

I have a 2010 997 Gen2 Turbo as per the URL below, purchased in November 2016

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=116620

How do I find out what version of the sat nav postcodes that I have.

I have been to my local OPC, who tell me mine was updated in 2015

Effectively my question is how do I find out what version I have and is this the latest version available, as from experience, I find the sat nav basic.
Equally if there is an upgrade available how does the very latest version differ from mine.

Car on the other hand is stunning and well above that expected, smile every time I drive it.

I don't know a deal as only owned 997 less than a week.
However mine had the latest software a few months ago which the previous owner did. He said the main difference was being able to enter the full postcodes..
Can you do that on yours?

Invoice was 149.99 for the update if I recall

Unless something has recently changed, there hasn't been an update since the one that you have (which is the one which added full post codes). It is getting pretty out of date now... :nooo:

V2.24 is the current version.
PCM > INFO > OPTION > SET PCM > DISPLAY PCM > SYSTEM VERSION is the path you need to take to find out your version.
I also paid £150 for the update. A bit of a rip off, but considering some OPC'S were asking £400, I jumped at it.

This is ringing a bell with me. Being a man and all that I obviously don't need sat nav but my Mrs. Was moaning at me about being unable to set a post code. Bang goes £150 by the sounds of it.
Thanks for the heads up fellas :?

The 7 digit post code is the latest one. I got the update for £150 too, but I wouldn't rush out for this as it's still pretty basic and doesn't always have the correct road for the entered postcode. I now just use waze on my phone which is excellent because it has real-time traffic and camera's (and is free!).

nigel99 said:
The 7 digit post code is the latest one. I got the update for £150 too, but I wouldn't rush out for this as it's still pretty basic and doesn't always have the correct road for the entered postcode. I now just use waze on my phone which is excellent because it has real-time traffic and camera's (and is free!).

Totally agree, only thing PCM 3 is good for is bluetooth, and it looks much better than the PCM 2.1 in the Gen1. Waze on your phone is the best solution, with a Kenu phone holder!

Whilst any mobile enabled app will be better than the sat nav system in a 997, having an appendage mounted onto the windscreen looks pretty naff on £70k+ car......!

Just imho of course.

~ Maxie

PS. I have just updated the maps on my PCM2.1 with the latest available disc (Released Dec 2015) and it's still serving me well.

Maxie said:
Whilst any mobile enabled app will be better than the sat nav system in a 997, having an appendage mounted onto the windscreen looks pretty naff on £70k+ car

That's why mine is on the air vent! Even if it looks rubbish, its better than 3 points :cop: and less embarrassing than turning up late because you weren't rerouted around the traffic jam.

I've used Tomtom on my phone for years, but once I found Waze, it is so much better, you get re-routed down backroads to avoid traffic, warns you of speed cameras, and the search function for your destination is so easy to use - you don't even need postcodes anymore. You can also set it up so the sound cuts into your radio if you want, via bluetooth.

The Kenu sits in the vent, is small and discreet, and "just about" works well enough to hold the phone in place!

This is by far the best solution I have found.

kg149 said:
many thanks for all your replies

I am on version 2.24

That's the latest, and possibly the last version

here is what I've gleaned from my PCM3 install adventure, I think its reasonably accurate :

v1.40 seems to be the version of firmware the first PCM3.0 units rolled out of the factory with, it gives 5digit post codes.

v1.47 is quite widespread and in conjunction with the v1.0 map pack only gives 5digit post codes.

v2.24 appears to be the most common firmware release people are running, and once at this level you can then use the 7digit post code feature.

once you go to v2.x firmware you need to get the maps CD's updated at the same time I believe otherwise the older maps that work with v1.x firmware installed on the PCM don't work. ( it states this during the update procedure and asks if you wish to proceed)

I have heard there is a newer map pack you can run (2016/2017) but haven't seen anyone confirm they are running it.

I have also heard there is v2.25 firmware in the field, but its mainly mentioned on US forums and possibly only for the cayenne PCM3.0 unit, so if anyone is seeing v2.25 and a newer map pack being installed by OPC's then shout it out please :)

So this thread triggered me into action! I rang my OPC today and inquired about the latest satnav update. They quoted me £300+!!!! Err, no thanks.
As my car is a weekend/sunny days toy and I rarely use satnav, I've opted for the Waze route.
I'm sure an indy will offer a much more palatable solution some time soon which I'll probably take, but in the mean time my OPC can fvck right off!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back