Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bumper distortion on the rear bumper

Alam

Chaps,

Been a while so thought i'd add the newest fix to the thread. The dreaded bumper distortion on my C4s has been bothering me for a while. A symptom of many 993's especially those that have sat around in traffic for most of there life.
I rarely have the time to get my hands dirty, but this weekend i rolled up my sleeves to install the painted replacement i purchased from Ebay and a few minor mods.

Has anyone else encountered the above and i assume most just live with it or are there alternative solutions to the fix? :dont know:

New exhaust tips upgrade

I rarely get my hands dirty

My solution for the bumper distortion

:?: Never heard of this before.

What happens to the bumper and has anyone got any pictures of what to look out for?

p.s. Like the exhaust tips Alam. I think they'll have to go on my list of to-do's.

Can be as a result of the metal stiffener at the bottom of the bumper. If this is bent in or out the bumper will be distorted at the bottom.

The metal can be straightened but there's often not enough flex to pass the elastic limit of the metal before hitting the exhaust. This depends however on whether it's pushed in or out.

Hi Madge

I can't find a before photo, but here is a similar thread on Pelican.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors.../566159-993-melting-rear-bumper-exh-tips.html

I attributed it to the worn our aluminium insulation that sits behind the bumper. This tends to deteriorate over time especially with cars sat in traffic and the heat then dissipates to the edges of the bumper.

The aluminium foil tape is just a preventative measure to counteract any heat coming onto the bumpers. Whether it works or makes any difference - we will see!

Exhaust tips are now installed and has my seal of approval :thumbs:

The pictures in the link are pretty dramatic.

If it's a heat related issue would a ceramic coating on the exhausts like the Fisters have be a preventative solution? Or would it prevent heat dissipation from the sides of the mufflers thereby forcing it out through the tips and making it worse? Or am I over-thinking this? :?:

madge said:
The pictures in the link are pretty dramatic.

If it's a heat related issue would a ceramic coating on the exhausts like the Fisters have be a preventative solution? Or would it prevent heat dissipation from the sides of the mufflers thereby forcing it out through the tips and making it worse? Or am I over-thinking this? :?:

I doubt that, the old angular exhausts had built in heat shields around the tips. Guards Red has a point, the metal stiffeners were bent and the older bumpers had melted into the shape of these, that coupled with the old heat shield.

I've come across a few wiidebody 993's that have distorted bumpers and my local says its a known issue that most owners choose to ignore.

Next on my list is skimming the brakes (inside have a lot of corrosion due to the car being in storage) followed by a caliper refresh... It will be a busy summer!

Nice work Alam!

My distorted bumper was due to a corroded heatshield and rear bumper supports but once those were replaced, the bumper was fine.

One of my exhaust tips fractured at the box and the rear PU melted with the hot exhaust gases. I'm now running decat pipes so PU shouldn't get as hot, heat shield still in place. The rear PU had to be replaced.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back