Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Continuous creaking/squeaking noise from the rear

T8

Super Moderator
Over the last few weeks I've been hearing an annoying noise from the rear of the car. I don't know what word is best to describe it but it sounds like bed springs getting a pounding from a honeymoon couple.

I'll be booking it in shortly but in the meantime I have found this Q and A on another well known website which appears to explain what is going on.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1571420

Apparently it's a known issue on early 997 Turbos. Have any other owners experienced this. :?:

I wonder whether OPCs get involved in spot-welding. :dont know:

EDIT: After a drive out today. I noticed that the creaking was far more noticeable when turning a corner and was able to make it worse by sawing at the wheel (a la F1 car tyre warming procedure),

Never seen or heard of that one before. Hopefully your OPC can sort.
As an aside, did they have separate production lines for different engines? Surprised if that's the case - I thought they built all models on the same line but to different specs.?

jonno_ said:
......As an aside, did they have separate production lines for different engines? Surprised if that's the case - I thought they built all models on the same line but to different specs.?

All cars are assembled on the same line but I'm guessing that different engine types may have different fixings hence this 'spot weld' issue being Turbo specific.

Re: Continuous squeaking noise from the rear

T8 said:
I'll be booking it in shortly

4 weeks lead time at Tonbridge OPC !!!

I'll be pleased when Sidcup opens and Kent owners have somewhere else to take their cars.

T8 said:
T8 said:
I'll be booking it in shortly

4 weeks lead time at Tonbridge OPC !!!

I'll be pleased when Sidcup opens and Kent owners have somewhere else to take their cars.

What they are acually saying is "that Victor Meldrew bloke has found a squeak and he will expect us to do it under warranty. Just tell him we're busy for a month"

:D

PeterS said:
.... "that Victor Meldrew bloke' ........

Oi you, I resemble that remark. :wink:

After a drive out today. I noticed that the creaking was far more noticeable when turning a corner and was able to make it worse by sawing at the wheel (a la F1 car tyre warming procedure),

Any thoughts guys :?:

Broken suspension spring ?, loose strut tops ?, engine mounts? Id stop driving the car untill
The fault has been found etc,!!

J

Not sure if this is of any help, but when I had my clutch replaced, I got A LOT of creaking, and the cause was they hadn't re-greased the anti-roll bar.

-- 997 -- said:
Id stop driving the car until the fault has been found etc,!!

I don't want to not drive the car over the next 4 weeks but have booked it in with my local spanner man/MOT tester to make sure it's not something that could compromise safety.

Would it be worth a call to Ken at 9e ? Not too far , and as he sees more than his share of turbos ... Perhaps he might have come across the issue :dont know:

askgeez said:
Would it be worth a call to Ken at 9e ? Not too far , and as he sees more than his share of turbos ... Perhaps he might have come across the issue :dont know:

If my man in the village identifies it as a 'wear and tear' issue I may get 9e to do the job and give the car a mid-year once over whilst it's in.

If it looks like a warranty job I'll wait the 4 weeks.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back