Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gone for 16 days -- disconnect battery?

PShoney

Good morning all

I recently purchased a 2007 997 Turbo. I am off to hols for 16 days and am wondering if I should disconnect the battery to prevent it to go dead during my absence. In my former cars (non-Porsches), two weeks was no issue with the battery and I only disconnected it in winter. What's the verdict on the 997 batteries? Safer to disconnect? And if so, any advice related to that?

Many thanks in advance!

Patrick

Put it on a smart charger if you can otherwise use a solar charger to keep it topped up.

Personally I'd leave as is. Unless there's a faulty cell or an alternator problem your battery should be fine for 16 days. After a few days it all goes into a form of 'idle' mode too. So when you come to reopen it remember therefore to use the key in the driver's door lock with a slight turn to reawaken it :thumb:

No. Don't disconnect your battery. As stated above, get a trickle charger.

I often leave mine for weeks on end and lay it up through winter. A smart/trickle charger will keep everything fine and dandy!

You can just pull on the handle too to wake the alarm receiver circuits.

New997buyer said:
After a few days it all goes into a form of 'idle' mode too. So when you come to reopen it remember therefore to use the key in the driver's door lock with a slight turn to reawaken it :thumb:

Every day's a school day :thumbs: I didn't know that. And I thought I knew everything :)

GT4 said:

Thats interesting. Its easier for me to get in and out of passanger door of my GT3 as its a tight fit in my garage. This tip could save me a fair bit of hastle.

New997buyer said:
Personally I'd leave as is. Unless there's a faulty cell or an alternator problem your battery should be fine for 16 days. After a few days it all goes into a form of 'idle' mode too. So when you come to reopen it remember therefore to use the key in the driver's door lock with a slight turn to reawaken it :thumb:

As above.

2 weeks or so should be fine even with a trickle charger. If it was a month and it was freezing cold then maybe it would need a rethink. all good provided the battery is in good condition.

Depends on the condition of the battery.

If its an approved used Porsche, it'll be packing the equivalent of 2 AAA batteries, since the Moll std.fit battery is useless, no sorry 'lightweight' (see what I did there?)

If you do decide to disconnect, note the wise words in the manual about closing front cover with no battery connected.

You might want a ctek charger anyway - even if not used this time.

A question, why wouldnt it be a good idea to disconnect the battey completely if going away for a couple weeks or so? To have a trickle charge would be pointless as my car sits in a garage where is dark! ..

J

-- 997 -- said:
A question, why wouldnt it be a good idea to disconnect the battey completely if going away for a couple weeks or so? To have a trickle charge would be pointless as my car sits in a garage where is dark! ..

J

I believe some of the options can be lost from the ECUs if the battery is allowed to go completely flat or is removed for any length of time, requiring a Handover Reset to be completed with a PIWIS diagnostic computer :?:

Norfolk & Idea said:
Every day's a school day :thumbs: I didn't know that. And I thought I knew everything :)

I have my moment :wink:

And equally as the 'other' Paul says, lifting the handle also breaks the sleep :thumbs:

C-Tek charger connected to the cigarette / power socket is the answer.

997 OEM (MOL) batteries are known to be pretty fickle if left standing.

Fully locked and wake up on the door handle lift movement ( noted by others ) is the preferred , non trickle charge method ......

Windy101 said:
GT4 said:

Thats interesting. Its easier for me to get in and out of passanger door of my GT3 as its a tight fit in my garage. This tip could save me a fair bit of hastle.

Check, but I bet the bean counters may have thought it clever to only fit wake sensor/loom on driver's side.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spilly67
Back