Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

opc service charges

adi7

Made an appointment with opc for 24 month service. Feel like i am bent over the proverbial barrel ! Must keep opc warranty alive ... must keep the book stamped or it will be worth 25p if i decide to sell it. Wee moan there. Anyway...£495 for service + £95 brake fluid change + £340 spark plug change. Is this the norm for 3.6 gen2 work ? Tried to blag a discount but was told this was discounted and would have been £2k a couple of years ago (so shut up and be grateful)...

Hi adi7,

Sounds about right on the OPC fixed price menu for a major service ... -> http://files1.porsche.com/filestore...8de-11e5-8bd4-0019999cd470/911-(Type-997).pdf apart from spark plugs which are not part of the fixed price menu as far as I know.

You might find another OPC gives you a better price on the plugs so if that's possible geographically why not give one a call? Plugs are every 60k/4 years so not too frequent a bill and I understand that it is a fair amount of labour to get to them.

I don't think the fixed price servicing is bad value really considering you can get a (often Porsche) courtesy car, free flapjacks and use of their internet and coffee facilities to get some work done on their premises if you choose.

Cheers
Mark

Hi adi7,

Sounds about right on the OPC fixed price menu for a major service ... -> http://files1.porsche.com/filestore/download/uk/none/porscheservice-servicepricing-911-997/default/d52c186b-c8de-11e5-8bd4-0019999cd470/911-(Type-997).pdf apart from spark plugs which are not part of the fixed price menu as far as I know.

You might find another OPC gives you a better price on the plugs so if that's possible geographically why not give one a call? Plugs are every 60k/4 years so not too frequent a bill and I understand that it is a fair amount of labour to get to them.

I don't think the fixed price servicing is bad value really considering you can get a (often Porsche) courtesy car, free flapjacks and use of their internet and coffee facilities to get some work done on their premises if you choose.

Edit - I think your car is 09 and PDK? If so check that the PDK clutch fluid was changed at the 6 year anniversary if you want to stay strictly on the Porsche schedule. Check the "Additional Maintenance" section of your handbook to see other things which might need attention.

Cheers
Mark

Well yes .. an indy would be cheaper but to keep the warrenty ,( and this helps pay for it ) then you are kinda stuck .

I can say the BFC change .. indy is probably £20 cheaper , not a huge amount .

The plugs are a bit of a pain and often need exhaust clamps changing .. hopefully this is what they quoted for so an indy would be cheaper but not by a huge amount , labour is about 1.5 hours .

Service .. and yes an indy would be cheaper , but we dont have Porsche loan cars and its nescafe coffee ;)

PDK clutch fluid is every 6 years as spiderlane said ( another extra )

I'm in the OPC warranty scheme on my car at the moment so am staying OPC for servicing.

Outside it, I'd probably be using a well respected Indy. Having said that, I think both have their place and I think the fixed price element of OPC servicing is reasonable. Some of their other pricing is quite variable from franchise to franchise so shop around.

I had some 6 year stuff done recently and the price differentials between dealers for things like belt change/air filters was quite striking.

Cheers
Mark

Might i humbly suggest .. OPC for service .. indy for anything that breaks but make sure they use genuine Porsche components and get an invoice for the parts .

Same person doing the same job for less money at my indy basically , and i assume at most other indys .

You do not have to use an OPC to validate your warranty, new or used.

rigsby99 said:
You do not have to use an OPC to validate your warranty, new or used.

Really? I also thought servicing had to be done by on OPC (and on time), otherwise the warranty would be invalid, come claim time?

Do tell us more about your experience...

I believe that's true as long as the car is maintained according to the manufacturers schedule with genuine parts

35641888770_48f18bbdd8_z.jpg

Ignore the red emphasis which was added for an earlier purpose on the scan, albeit seems relevant here.

For me for sheer convenience and lack of argument come warranty claim time, and given the small cost differential between Indy and OPC for fixed price items I'd do as Demort suggests - OPC for regular servicing and an Indy for repairs if needed (not yet needed for me)

Cheers
Mark

According to my Porsche Approved Warranty documents, mine can be renewed up until the car is 14 years old for a 12 month policy, or 13 years old for a 24 month policy - thus, subject to the usual terms and conditions etc, the car can be kept under warranty until it's 15 years old.

My last renewal was in March this year, when the car was 7 years old.

As the policy states any fault that can be attributed to non OPC servicing or non genuine parts can be refused. In practice, in my experience, the indies are far superior to OPC's, costs aside they have proved to be more thorough and professional. They are in the main ex Porsche technicians who fully understand the warranties and will not take chances with maintenance or parts. Important of course is that your indie has the latest diagnostics. In contrast I have had two experiences with OPC's that have nearly resulted in referral to the trading standards for fraud.

I have a 3.6 PDK and needed a major service last year (around April) and was also mulling over whether to get the warranty extended or not.

Needed spark plugs changing too.

I found that compared to the fixed price servicing, Indies were coming in about £150-£200 cheaper....

I managed to get the 111 point check in for less than £50 and obviously paid for the warranty.

I decided to go with OPC.

Since then:

1. Air con condenser, seal and pipe replaced. (Cost approx £750)
2. New PCM unit (Cost £1000 ish)
3. Other air con condensor replaced (£600 ish).

All of this was completed under warranty apart from No. 3 - which I contributed £200.

Got courtesy cars etc every time.

I'm glad I got the warranty, and paid the little extra for OPC service.

Like others, I think a good indie will do a better job than many OPC's when it comes to repairs or service - but they don't usually have courtesy cars etc - and sometimes booking in times can be longer (especially if they are that good!).

The longer lead times at indies is not down to them being good and inference that OPC may not be as good. It tends to be down to resources and assets on the ground. Look at any OPC and there will likely be around 8 ramps and a mechanic for each ramp.

Look at indies and many will be 2-3 ramps with a mechanic for each.
Then look at the number of cars - for example this site has over 35k members.
So an Indy is going to be up to capacity and a wait list very quickly against the assets and resources if an OPC - and even my OPC may not get me a slot for one week but its a shorter lead time nonetheless.

When a car does 80% of its annual mileage in 20-24 weeks of the year, waiting 4-6 weeks eats into available driving time.

RedJedi said:
Like others, I think a good indie will do a better job than many OPC's when it comes to repairs or service - but they don't usually have courtesy cars etc - and sometimes booking in times can be longer (especially if they are that good!).

I'm tied to using an opc as mine is under warranty, but I have noticed recently that the value of a "courtesy car" is becoming less and less as any bookings with a request for one is 5 weeks out. Without one booking is 1 week out. So something that is supposed to simplify using an opc is actually causing delays for the user.....seems a bit daft to me.

G2 said:
I'm tied to using an opc as mine is under warranty, but I have noticed recently that the value of a "courtesy car" is becoming less and less as any bookings with a request for one is 5 weeks out. Without one booking is 1 week out. So something that is supposed to simplify using an opc is actually causing delays for the user.....seems a bit daft to me.

I booked my car in to OPC yesterday. No courtesy car and 4 weeks lead time !!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back