Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 12
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 44
993 : 1993-1998 10
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 18
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
-- 997 --
Imola


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 832



PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Oil Changing for 997.1 ---------------------- Reply with quote

Ok, i havent carried out an oil servkce on a porsche 997.1 or even any but many on other cars, so stupid question to ask how easy is it and can someone give a step by step guide cos i dont want to screw up, like the amount of oil to pour in and then then start the car afew seconds to fill oil filter etc.

Is it easy on these cars???

Also torque settings for oil fi!ter cover and sump plug!

cheers.

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Fuji


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 9898
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J, They hold about 10ltr but you will only be able to drain about 8.5 lts out. So buy 10ltrs and fill to about 8 then see whats needed some most will take between 8.5 and 9 ltrs.

Ideally you would be changing to Millers nano oil 10w50 best price is opie oil using a club discount or on of there promo discounts.

checking the level is done engine off on a gen 1

you will need to get info from others on the torques etc. Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Martian
Magny-Cours


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 2704
Location: Bury St. Edmunds

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what engine.

The Mezger is totally different from a Carrera's. Checking the level with a Mezger is engine running and I use Millers Nano 5W/40.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Imola


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 832



PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
J, They hold about 10ltr but you will only be able to drain about 8.5 lts out. So buy 10ltrs and fill to about 8 then see whats needed some most will take between 8.5 and 9 ltrs.

Ideally you would be changing to Millers nano oil 10w50 best price is opie oil using a club discount or on of there promo discounts.

checking the level is done engine off on a gen 1

you will need to get info from others on the torques etc. Thumb


Hi phil, as ive done my first 500 miles since rebuild ive used Castrol Magnatec to run the engine in.now need to change oil to the same type oil as i can get the Magnatec for free cos i have a company car and can take the advatage of for further 1000 miles then oil change again then it will be the Millers! Or what do you think?

cheers for your replies, i have a carrera, mezger engine is another world i guess !!

j
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Fuji


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 9898
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-- 997 -- wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:
J, They hold about 10ltr but you will only be able to drain about 8.5 lts out. So buy 10ltrs and fill to about 8 then see whats needed some most will take between 8.5 and 9 ltrs.

Ideally you would be changing to Millers nano oil 10w50 best price is opie oil using a club discount or on of there promo discounts.

checking the level is done engine off on a gen 1

you will need to get info from others on the torques etc. Thumb


Hi phil, as ive done my first 500 miles since rebuild ive used Castrol Magnatec to run the engine in.now need to change oil to the same type oil as i can get the Magnatec for free cos i have a company car and can take the advatage of for further 1000 miles then oil change again then it will be the Millers! Or what do you think?

cheers for your replies, i have a carrera, mezger engine is another world i guess !!

j


J, If dont know magnatec oil mate so cant comment on its viscosity, but if you only plan to do 1000 miles before changing it again then I really cant imagine there's a problem, during the next 1000 miles keep an eye on the opie oil website register for emails as they frequently run 10% and sometimes 15% off promos with free delivery, that's the time to grab it. Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Demort
Paul Ricard


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 3448
Location: Sussex


PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sump plug torque .. 37 lb ft
Filter houseing ... 19 lb ft

I would fill it with 7 ltrs then run up to warm then top up to be on the safe side .

Min drain time of 20 mins .
_________________
Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
 



oil-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.71 KB
 Viewed:  1121 Time(s)

oil-1.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Imola


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 832



PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:
Sump plug torque .. 37 lb ft
Filter houseing ... 19 lb ft

I would fill it with 7 ltrs then run up to warm then top up to be on the safe side .

Min drain time of 20 mins .


Hi demort, once ive taken the car for a drive around to warm up oil, then drain and let every drop of oil possible out Laughing , change filter then new oil in, once done that when turn the ignition to see the level. Would the levell be acurate or would as you say need to start car, or should i drive up the road and back then double check, on any other car im fine but as for first time changing oil i dont wanna mess up any way etc is why im being cautious. After 1000 miles im going Millers all the way.. Smile

Cheers

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Demort
Paul Ricard


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 3448
Location: Sussex


PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have drained the oil and as you are going to leave it draining for a while then i would suggest putting 7.5 ltrs of oil in it then starting and let it warm up to temp .. 90 degrees on the oil , turn off ignition turn on and you will get a 5 min count down .. if 10 then run it some more untill you get 5 min .. turn off ign and wait 5 min .. turn on and let it read the lvl .. each segment is approx 0.4 of a ltr .

Its important not to over fill it rather than leave it down on oil so fill a bit at a time .

As you get used to this then you will put more in each time as you know roughly what is needed .

if it ends up over filled then the best way is to undo the oil filter and drain it out then recheck the lvl .. trying to drain a bit out of the sump plug with a hot engine will just burn your fingers , you will drop the sump plug and end up with 8 ltrs of hot oil running every where ..

You can ask how i know this .. but i think its pretty obvious Very Happy
_________________
Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
James M-S
Monza


Joined: 11 Apr 2017
Posts: 240
Location: Derby

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort.... worship

Floor
_________________
Manual 997.2 c2 :Basalt + gtechniq
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
TonyC911
Monza


Joined: 06 Jun 2016
Posts: 180
Location: High Wycombe, Bucks


PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:

You can ask how i know this .. but i think its pretty obvious Very Happy



Floor Floor Floor

Been there, done that also! Sad
_________________
2007 Carrerra S
2005 Boxster S
2003 Boxster 2.7
1998 Boxster 2.5
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
seeforez
Barcelona


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 1476
Location: up norf


PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TonyC911"]
Demort wrote:

You can ask how i know this .. but i think its pretty obvious Very Happy



Glad to know things like this also happen to the professionals Floor
_________________
997.1
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
-- 997 --
Imola


Joined: 11 Jun 2015
Posts: 832



PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:
Once you have drained the oil and as you are going to leave it draining for a while then i would suggest putting 7.5 ltrs of oil in it then starting and let it warm up to temp .. 90 degrees on the oil , turn off ignition turn on and you will get a 5 min count down .. if 10 then run it some more untill you get 5 min .. turn off ign and wait 5 min .. turn on and let it read the lvl .. each segment is approx 0.4 of a ltr .

Its important not to over fill it rather than leave it down on oil so fill a bit at a time .

As you get used to this then you will put more in each time as you know roughly what is needed .

if it ends up over filled then the best way is to undo the oil filter and drain it out then recheck the lvl .. trying to drain a bit out of the sump plug with a hot engine will just burn your fingers , you will drop the sump plug and end up with 8 ltrs of hot oil running every where ..

You can ask how i know this .. but i think its pretty obvious Very Happy


Thanks Demort hopefully weekend should be dry to carry out an oil change, so you wanna tell us about your experience with the hot 8 Ltrs of oil everywhere? What happend? Smile

Cheers

J
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Demort
Paul Ricard


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 3448
Location: Sussex


PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-- 997 -- wrote:


Thanks Demort hopefully weekend should be dry to carry out an oil change, so you wanna tell us about your experience with the hot 8 Ltrs of oil everywhere? What happend? Smile

Cheers

J



Well now .. thats a story lol ..

Its not really about the 997 its more about the latest cars from 991 onwards , it takes 0.3 ltr or higher and they flag up an overfill message the display also caught out a number of people when they first came out .

So we started getting cars in with oil lvl gauge fault customer has added " 1/2 ltr " .. funny thing was .. it was never 1/2 ltr .. it was always more .. still i digress ..

The service advisors , god bless them figured it would be a quick and easy job so could be done as a waiting job .

I get one , customer has just driven to us so obviously its hot .. yeah .. er .. red hot as it was 90 degrees .

I grab a 5 ltr jug and figure ill drain out 2 ltrs and then if it is only 1/2 ltr i can refill to the correct lvl .

Allen key in a socket , crack off the sump bung and use the socket to undo .. ready with the jug so tilt the sump bung to drain the oil ..

all well and good so far but its starting to get a bit warm , some of the oil has run down onto my fingers .. ok time to stop as this is starting to hurt and ive only got about 1 ltr out so far so i try to wind the bung back in ..


well by this point ive got oil on my fingers .. anyone tryed to trurn a socket when your covered in oil ? .. yup it slips .. and it gets hotter .. and it slips and i cant get it to wind back in then i just cant hold it any more ..

Oil is now filling up the " 5 LTR " jug pretty dam quick .. erm .. theres about 7-8 ltrs about to come out .. now i did try screaming .. i did shout for help .. i think at the time i even prayed a bit ..

But unfortunatly i now have a hot jug filled to the brim which is burning my other hand and the oil is still coming ..

I think in hindsite i should have just backed away with 5 ltrs in the jug and run for another jug .. But Nooo i had to stand there like a lemon whilst everyone watched on laughing as i then dropped the jug as well !


You REALLY should try chucking 5 ltrs of oil on a tiled surface and see just how far it will spread .. not to mention the water fall of oil hitting the floor from 7 ft up that was still comeing out !! .. i was covered .. the floor .. well it spread under the ramps each side of me and onto the next ones .

I can say though that they stopped doing them as waiting jobs and told the customer they had to cool down first .. bit late by then Very Happy
_________________
Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum