Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo cab owners

mikem7709

Anyone on here? Advice on good/bad points and what to look for?

I sold my 6.1 GT3 a few months back and now starting to really miss having some Pork in the garage.

mikem7709 said:
Advice on good/bad points and what to look for?

:D

Good point: It's a 6t!!
Bad point: It has no roof.
What to look for: A coupe.

All the usual suspect areas for a 996 Turbo should be checked by a Specialst who really knows the model inside out.
In addition for a Cabrio - water leaks behind both front seats, check the drsin channels for the hood. Check the hood meticulously for opening and closing and the rear window in the hood.

Versus a coupe they can be really leaky and suffer damaged electronics under the passenger seat.

I had a coupe for a long time, I kept it for a long time because when I bought it, it was expensive and then the back side fell out of the 996 Turbo's it was an X50 manual as well. I enjoyed the car. When I did come to sell it, It was a lot of car for the money 2.5 years ago.

Now though, you would have to mad.

Nowhere near as nice as to look at over the coupe (and the coupe can be an acquired taste to some) and cost just as much at the massive price increases :grin:

It is a flexi old thing as well, quite bad in fact, and they have not aged well now. I parked up next to a black one some weeks ago, what used to turn my head, turned my stomach. :bye: :puh:

Edited
Boba fett said:
I had a CAB for a long time, I kept it for a long time because when I bought it, it was expensive and then the back side fell out of the 996 Turbo's it was an X50 manual as well. I enjoyed the car. When I did come to sell it, It was a lot of car for the money 2.5 years ago.

Now though, you would have to mad.

Nowhere near as nice as to look at over the coupe (and the coupe can be an acquired taste to some) and cost just as much at the massive price increases :grin:

It is a flexi old thing as well, quite bad in fact, and they have not aged well now. I parked up next to a black one some weeks ago, what used to turn my head, turned my stomach. :bye: :puh:

Interesting different points of view. I have a turbo cab and love it. Always had cabs for the fun car😎
I don't track it, use it for pleasure only, doesn't have the concerns of the na engine. Much prefer cabs to tin tops for touring 🌞

It's a question of taste. Just the same as the Tiptronic debate. I have a Cab and I love it. It doesn't leak and it doesn't flex. Don't knock them.

Yeah, I'm. It looking for the stiffest, most track focussed car - if I was it would be another GT3 no contest.

I want something for summer fun and Euro trips, I figured the extra omph of the Turbo would make up for the extra weight.

I did about 1K miles across Europe driving a friends E93 M3 last month and it was a real disappointment, hence I've now got the Porsche bug again.

mikem7709 said:
Yeah, I'm. It looking for the stiffest, most track focussed car - if I was it would be another GT3 no contest.

I want something for summer fun and Euro trips, I figured the extra omph of the Turbo would make up for the extra weight.

I did about 1K miles across Europe driving a friends E93 M3 last month and it was a real disappointment, hence I've now got the Porsche bug again.

If you found the E93 disappointing, what are you expecting from the 996 exactly?

Whats wrong with the looks of a Cabriolet there is no leaks if the car is properly maintained and it looks even better with the top down in our lovely summer weather.

Del.

Attachments

• dscn1208_210.jpg
    dscn1208_210.jpg
    680.3 KB · Views: 4,338
  • dollar_57_5_151.jpg
    dollar_57_5_151.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 4,338
Life is always better with your top down!!

The "scuttle shake" debate makes me yawn!!

Yes, it will have a bit, however, in the real world of "public highways" the "wind in your hair" or the "air on your slap" (depends on age) will always outweigh a bit of scuttle shake when you hit a pothole!!

IMHO most amateur drivers wouldn't be able to put in any significant time difference between coupe/cab on a track. It's all just hot air!!

Good luck with your search :thumb:

For summer fun... blast or relax it's the cab for me every time :thumbs:

Personal choice though - just have the confidence to choose and enjoy what you want, don't worry about anything else - after all it's a Porsche :grin:

Respect to everyone else and how they roll :worship:

I've had my Turbo Cab for 3 years now. Love it.

Excellent European GT car.
Comfortable - Turbos come with lots of goodies ticked
Still Fast in the twisties- ok you're going to wish you had your GT3 here.
Top down drive to sunday lunch.

Very versatile & satisfying car.

Like Daled53 says 'Blast or relax'

Buy one - obs with usual car checks.

You don't just want a turbo cab.
You want a turbo S cab
And you want it with a switchable exhaust
I speak from experience.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members