Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Seat Memory -- please help save my sanity

PShoney

Hey everyone

I picked up my 997.1 Turbo a few weeks back. So far, an absolute dream -- I love this car! There is one tiny thing that is about to drive me insane, though, and I am hoping someone on here can help!

The issue has to do with the seat memory. In my car, there are three seat memory buttons. The first button is programmed to each of the keys. I have been able to save my seat setting under one of the other buttons, but every time I lock and then unlock the car with the key the seat is automatically set to the prior owner's seat setting. I have read the manual about 245 times, and followed the instructions for setting the key setting and also erasing the key setting to the letter. But no luck. The prior owner is like a ghost -- his seat setting is haunting me!

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? Or am I just not able to decipher the Germanic instructions correctly?

Any help much appreciated!

I have the same car and it's simply a case of pressing the M button (above the 1,2,3 buttons) then pressing the button that you would like your settings to be applied to.

The trick is keeping the M button depressed whilst hitting the 1,2 or 3 button. I have not read the handbook on this feature, so I'm not sure whether it's a poor translation, but the above method works for me. Good luck!

K888ETH said:
I have the same car and it's simply a case of pressing the M button (above the 1,2,3 buttons) then pressing the button that you would like your settings to be applied to.

The trick is keeping the M button depressed whilst hitting the 1,2 or 3 button. I have not read the handbook on this feature, so I'm not sure whether it's a poor translation, but the above method works for me. Good luck!

Thanks -- that is exactly what the manual says and what I have tried to do. Holding the M button worked for programming button 3, but 1 cannot be changed. The only thing I can think of is that button 1 is for some reason not working and stuck forever on the prior (much shorter) owner!

Why don't you setup button 2, link this to key 2 and use that one going forward?

nigel99 said:
Why don't you setup button 2, link this to key 2 and use that one going forward?

Unfortunately both keys are programmed to Button 1. Button 1 is basically he "key setting." The seat then is set based on whichever key is used to unlock the car. In this case, both keys are set to the prior owner's preference. Thanks for the thought though!

I think there is a handover reset that might help, local indie or selling dealer might be able to do it with PIWIS or Autologic.
Sure Iain (Demort) will be able to comment in a bit.

PShoney said:
Thanks -- that is exactly what the manual says and what I have tried to do. Holding the M button worked for programming button 3, but 1 cannot be changed. The only thing I can think of is that button 1 is for some reason not working and stuck forever on the prior (much shorter) owner!

You're welcome...hopefully a reset will do the trick.

Its possible the seats have forgotten their end stops and so wont relearn ..

Try moveing the seat manually as far forward as it will go , release then hold button forward for 5 secs .. do the same backwards .

It will be the same for up and down if needed .

Then try a reteach of the position you want.

Other than that then it might need a tester connected to see if there are any fault codes , a vehicle handover is always worth doing at that point which is done with a tester .

I did a 991 not long ago with this problem and a relearning of the positions fixed it .

Can you save user settings via the control stalk / PCM

I had an issue like this after changing my key bodies to the gen.2.

I had mixed up the transponders with the PCB's, so basically the key i was saving to in the ignition was seen as a different key when unlocking the car.

So , the car saw key 1 in the ignition when saving the memory position, but when I unlocked the car, it was actually the PCB from key 2 meaning the seat would move to key 2's memory position.

Hope this helps...

Had this on my 996 when I changed a key, it's to do with the old memory settings, I found the answer on another forum, I posted this previously so you can give it a try if you want.

Well through a post on the Renntech forum I have now had this cured, it is to do with the positions the key transponders are stored in the cars computer.

Took it to my indie gave him this info and £30 later, sorted.

So if you have this problem here's the solution.

From the service manual (programming with a PST2):
"The adjustment function of the seat, mirror and lumbar positions via the hand-held transmitter is correct only if the radio code and the transponder code of a hand-held transmitter are each stored at the same position in the alarm system control module.

In this case, it is first necessary to identify and delete the stored transponder code of the lost or faulty hand-held transmitter. All remaining vehicle keys are required for this purpose because all transponder codes are erased during the deletion function.

The transponder code of the vehicle key is displayed under 'Current transponder'.
Press the F3 key. "All codes will be deleted" appears on the screen; confirm with the F7 key.

Insert the vehicle key equipped with the new hand-held transmitter into the ignition lock and switch on the ignition. Establish communication between the 9588 Porsche System Tester II and the control module. Select the position (1, 2, 3,or 4) with the arrow keys (uparrow) and (down arrow) and press the F8
key. The transponder code of the first hand-held transmitter has now been taught. Remove the key and repeat the process for the remaining hand-held transmitters......"

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back