Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Can I turn off the rear spoiler on a 993?

993camperman

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum – I met a couple of you guys in Donnington – I was randomly staying at the Donnington Castle hotel and the organiser (sorry forgot his name) gave me free tickets – I rocked up late in my 993 Targa!

I'm looking at setting up a couple of suction handle lifts (normally used for carrying glass) on the back of my targa to attach a small suitcase / luggage rack. (Going camping in august.)

Quick question – Can you turn off the rear spoiler?
(i.e. stop it from raising up when driving to stop it from hitting my retro-fit luggage rack.)

Many thanks in advance – great to be here!
Rob

I'm sure that there would be some way of disabling it (relevant fuse maybe?) but it might not be such a good idea to do so.

My understanding is that the raised spoiler aids the cooling of the engine and therefore with the spoiler down and a suitcase over the top you could cause the engine to overheat.

I'm no mechanic though, so all of the above could be hogwash. :dont know:

Yes - unplug the control module located under the dash in the passenger footwell - not sure if the any warning lights will illuminate.

Good luck with the camping and welcome to the forum :thumbs:

Personally I'd unplug the spoiler motor itself - easier to get to, and you can be 100% sure that you've disabled it...

Unplug the spoiler control module. This will disable warning light and spoiler motor. Unplugging the motor will cause the warning light to lit.
However, the official Porsche information says that the spoiler is needed when driving at higher speeds to ensure engine cooling and grip. I guess you will not reach speeds with a luggage rack on board.
Cheers,
Tore

993camperman said:
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum – I met a couple of you guys in Donnington – I was randomly staying at the Donnington Castle hotel and the organiser (sorry forgot his name) gave me free tickets – I rocked up late in my 993 Targa!

I'm looking at setting up a couple of suction handle lifts (normally used for carrying glass) on the back of my targa to attach a small suitcase / luggage rack. (Going camping in august.)

Quick question – Can you turn off the rear spoiler?
(i.e. stop it from raising up when driving to stop it from hitting my retro-fit luggage rack.)

Many thanks in advance – great to be here!
Rob

Good to meet up.

Talk about right place right time, your 993 at the Donington hotel car park full of Porsche's

:D

Careful with this one camperman.
The cars natural aerofoil shape creates lift, especially over the rear wheels. The spoiler kills the lift.
It's possible your rack would do the same BUT it's also possible the airflow will go under the rack, increase in speed due to Venturi effect and actually increase lift making the rear wheels loose traction at any speed above 50mph (around the speed Porsche origally decided the spoiler need to deploy to kill lift)
I think I'd make sure the gap between the rack and the boot is blocked some way.

And don't, repeat, do not, carry any helium filled party balloons in it if you're going over fifty mph.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back