Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stuck for ideas...

phil84afc

Hello chaps,

I've recently been offered £30k for my car (which I thought was quite good although happy to be told I'm wrong) and am currently weighing up whether to sell or not and what to replace it with.

Budget is £40k-£45k, Cayman R, 997.2 S, pot 996 turbo considered but am in a bit of a muddle! It would be a second car/toy and I hadn't really considered it until I got this offer.

I don't want to sell the car for the sake of it, as I do love it, but am thinking for that price maybe I should and see what the market does, i.e. the prices of the cars I'm interested in shouldn't go up anytime soon...

Discuss! :? (fyi, my car is 39k miles, litronics, sports exhaust, sports seats, PCM3, Bose, sports chrono, PASM, black on black)

A nice dilemma.

With that budget I'd be looking at a nice Gen 2 997 C2S, or C4S if you like the hips. Plenty of fun and drama to be had with these and the PDK box is something else. I went from a Cayman to a 911 and I couldn't believe the difference.

Get a test drive in each of the cars you are considering to help you decide.

MC

There's a black Boxster Spyder at Wilmslow for £47k

Phil, great dilemma to have :thumb: the list you have all are great cars and have pluses and minuses depending on what your looking for from your next car. but heres my 2p for what its worth .

Cayman R, Great mid engined drivers car but will its price hold up against the GT4 only time will tell and dependant on the future needs of 4 seats might become an issue re practicality . but if you do go for one go bold on the colour as they did some stunning colours in the R.

997.2, the most up to date 911 your budget will get you and IMO the last of the sports car 911s before they got a bit fat and soft and Grand tourer like nothing wrong with the 991.1 but I prefer the smaller more sports car looks of the 997
and the 991.2 is an ever further slide in the wrong direction IMO.
So will the 997.2 become a car that increases in value for the reasons I stated :dont know: again only time will tell . but while your waiting for that time you are driving a 911 and with the extra seats can cover many future needs .

996 Turbo, well stunningly quick and currently rising in value , dated tech but many say that adds to the driving experience, and a love it or hate it look. the Porsche enthusiasts mostly love them but the general public have mixed views. They are also ageing so maintenance costs have to be a consideration as does the unknown factor of are you buying at the top of the market. and what will happen when the 997 turbo increasing value meets the 991.1 turbo decreasing value and what will be the knock on effect to the 996 turbo. Somewhere it has to meet and all stop unless Porsche stop making a proper 911 turbo like they have with the 991.2 carreras then who knows what will happen to the value of the older turbo models. we have seen it with air cooled so who knows ,will we see the 150k 996/997 turbo in the future.
I was chatting to a guy at Parr yesterday who had owned his mid 80s turbo for 30 years and its worth upwards of £175k today.

So as I said a great dilemma, but really only you can make this decision are you buying a car to drive and enjoy regularly or as a potential future investment which could ruin your enjoyment of the car today worrying about future values v mileage your doing etc :thumb:
most of us on here over the age of 30 will have owned a car years ago that was nice but quite ordinary only to find that now its a hugely expensive and collectable car that we sold for peanuts back in the day. But I personally would rather enjoys driving my cars and sticking the miles on them than worrying about future values. I have never brought a car expecting to make money on it ,I buy them to drive and enjoy . having said that I was a bit stunned when I sold my 997.1 after doing 50k miles in it for more than I paid for it four years ago. :grin: the only time in my life that has happened .
Keep us posted on what you decide mate . :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back