Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE exhaust OEM replacement, or not

Scully

Hi All,

When I bought my 996 C2.2 (seen in this thread http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=121836&sid=9282d166f6c69d3781ef6d8470ceec93)

I knew that the back boxes on the PSE system were splitting, unsuprisingly on a system thats 13 years old, although it's not blowing yet.

I'm in a position to be able to buy a new replacement OEM PSE back boxes and I'm inclined to do so in order to keep the car standard and with PSE being a much sought after option.

Having said that, they aren't cheap, so what's your view on the value of keeping the car standard against buying an aftermarket system, even with a valve?

Do you think I'm wasting my money trying to keep it standard or is it worth it in the long run, bearing in mind re-sale value in a few years? The car is a completely standard (how I like it) 2004 with 56K on the clock.

Cheers

Dave

A lot cheaper to just get them repaired, if possible.

EGTE said:
A lot cheaper to just get them repaired, if possible.

True, but let's assume for the purposes of this discussion, that I'm either going to replace it with an OEM system or an aftermarket alternative.

Dave

I think the clue is in the question. It is your car, you like it being standard, keep it standard. I can't see any motivation to change it from what you like to what you don't.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I think the clue is in the question. It is your car, you like it being standard, keep it standard. I can't see any motivation to change it from what you like to what you don't.

MC

That's certainly what I'd like to do, but it is a big wad of money. I just wondered if having a relatively recent system on would pay me back either in actual value terms or in saleability when I come to sell the car again, perhaps in a couple of years, compared to say, a Top Gear aftermarket system.

Dave

Hi Scully

I have the same approach as you so would be looking to keep it standard - especially if you intend to keep it for a while - prices are looking promising for nice examples of the 996 so if this continues it can only add to the overall desirability of the car - I haven't got a PSE but would consider fitting one later on - cost is of course a factor..... How much are we looking at ?

DaleD53 said:
Hi Scully

I have the same approach as you so would be looking to keep it standard - especially if you intend to keep it for a while - prices are looking promising for nice examples of the 996 so if this continues it can only add to the overall desirability of the car - I haven't got a PSE but would consider fitting one later on - cost is of course a factor..... How much are we looking at ?[/qbuote]

I'm looking at about 2.3k for parts only, from OPC, including Porsche owners club discount. It's a lot of money, but perhaps not as much as I'd expected, reading through previous posts. They wanted just under 3k fitted, but I'll probably get my indy to fit, if I decide to go for it.

Dave

Like you I wanted to keep it standard but in the end was not prepared to pay the exorbitant cost for parts that used to be half this price and opted for the topgear units at £700..

So here goes the man maths..... Yes it's chunk of cash but... if the value of these cars keep gently nudging up (and I think they will) in a few years you will have recouped the outlay whilst knowing you got the best exhaust, it's standard kit and very desirable- and it sounds great - what's not like
:grin:

Joking aside if you can stand the outlay and the rest of the car is on the money it's the way to go I think :thumbs:

Depends if this is going to wipe you out financially?

I definitely wouldn't spend my last £3k on an OEM exhaust given all the other issues a 996 can throw at you on any given day.

However, if this is just part of your rainy day fund - then I'd definitely do it. Especially cause you have a decent low mileage example.

The original boxes lasted 13 years , i know from posts here that aftermarket ones dont seem to last that long.

I assume that original PSE will add value over a non original setup ..

yes its expensive , if its affordable then i would go for it .. but i prefer standard to modifed so i guess im a little biased and its not my money ( im good at spending other peoples money ! ).

Either way .. indy not OPC to have the work done .

Demort said:
The original boxes lasted 13 years , i know from posts here that aftermarket ones dont seem to last that long.

I assume that original PSE will add value over a non original setup ..

yes its expensive , if its affordable then i would go for it .. but i prefer standard to modifed so i guess im a little biased and its not my money ( im good at spending other peoples money ! ).

Either way .. indy not OPC to have the work done .

Agreed. I do have the money now - I sold my motorbike when I bought the car, so that I had money to spend on it and this won't wipe me out. the current boxes are probably repairable (they're not blowing yet, as I mentioned and they don't rattle) and I'm hoping to get some money back by selling them off.

Any idea what they might go for?

Dave

I have been thinking about this too - not because the PSE is blowing, more to get ahead of the game once they get to that point after 14+ years of use.

As Demort says, the cost almost looks reasonable if the replacement lasts for the same time given some of the problems with some aftermarket options.

One thing I was wondering was whether these would be the same, but without the porsche tax?

http://www.eisenmann.co.uk/Eisenmann-Exhausts/Porsche/911_996

Eisenmann made the original PSE for Porsche (you can find their stamp on the casings) so are these going to be broadly equivalent?

Interested to know if anyone else has looked into this.

Keep it standard
options in order of cost:
1, Take them off, go to a close by engineering company and have them properly welded and then apply a high temp paint to protect them, then refit.

2, Ebay uk or Porsche breakers yard and buy what you need, then refit

3, Buy aftermarket, not as reliable as OE but potentially cheaper

4, Buy OE from Design911 or OPC and refit.

Personally I'd go down the line of professional repair because of cost (if possible on such an age car), but if that's not possible or it will be a temporary fix then forget that option. Then walk into the local OPC talk £pounds and pence off a new system with the parts manager. Let me give you a hint, do not pay the RRP that's all I'm saying from seeing what they buy in at. Think along the lines of Ford, Citroen, Kia and every other exhaust to manufacture and you won't be far off if you remove the word Porsche. OPC have a astronomical mark up.

That's a bit of a discovery - if the eisemann can be had for €1700 I wonder what it will work out all in after taxes and shipping,.

I was in the same position several years ago with a 996 C4S

OPC came in at around £5000 fitted - so wasn't an option

Design911 sell the boxes today for £3300 inc. vat

I fitted Dansk - and sold the car with those fitted, it made a great sound, though there seem to be a few question marks over the longevity of the Dansk systems recently.

Coincidently I also just a few weeks ago had the original 13 year old PSE boxes welded up (split bottom seams) and sold them on ebay, cost me £100 to get them welded and I sold them for £250 - looked to be pretty good condition IMO (I gave them a coat of the VHT silver paint to improve the look cosmetically) - 1 of the actuator valves needed replacement (price of which seems to have doubled on design911 in the last week?)

The TopGear system sounds like a good option also - I haven't any experience of that though , beyond at the time 2 years ago they did offer me the option to bring the car down to have it fitted (I didn't - to far ) - but I remember dealing with them at the time very good communication

Attachments

• resized_exhaust_815.jpg
    resized_exhaust_815.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 7,497

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back