Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warning: stick on number plate and servicing!

RJKflyer

Just had my 6-year service which includes the engine/ancillary drive belt.

Dealer rang to say "we can't get your rear number plate off without damaging it"

I had replaced the rubbish plastic ones - which always seem to delaminate - wth pressed ali ones, and stuck them on with DS tape.

Problem is that the rear of the car has to come off and I assume fixings are present under the number plate. Removing DS taped ali ones inevitably bends them to pieces.

So, be warned...

(I'm inclined to say that I could have got it off with fishing line/dental floss but sadly I wasn't there to try it...)

warming them up would have softened the adhesive and released them.

Martian said:
There are no fixings under the rear number plate, no need to remove it to take off bumper.

That part confuse me too... my only thought was that they were driving it for some reason and felt the pressed plates were not legal.

Fishing wire will get them off guaranteed. I've just taken them off the new 17 plate when the new Evoque was delivered 2 weeks ago and had to wait for the documents to come back to put the personal plates on. Guide the wire behind and in a saw movement it'll basically chop through the DS tape in seconds. No damage and no fuss. The garage would know that top tip or trick. If not, use another garage as it's as common as it gets. That's if I'm right in what you are experiencing? Yes/no??

Actually, are pressed plates legal? Or does UK law say they have to be white / yellow reflective?? Are non reflective plates for private display purpose only and not to be used on UK highways? Good point :?:

There are no fixings behind a 911 number plate, only the round disk cap on the rear.

MNC911 said:
Actually, are pressed plates legal? Or does UK law say they have to be white / yellow reflective?? Are non reflective plates for private display purpose only and not to be used on UK highways? Good point :?:

There are no fixings behind a 911 number plate, only the round disk cap on the rear.

Pressed metal plates have been legal for years as long as they are in the standard UK Charles Wright font. It's probably the German style plates you are thinking of that are illegal due to them being in the wrong font. The pressed metal plates are painted in a reflective paint.

For the avoidance of doubt, they were road legal.

RJKflyer said:
For the avoidance of doubt, they were road legal.

Then I really do not understand why they felt the need to remove them :?:

Gen 2's have a hole behind the number plate to access a bracing bolt that prevents the drive belt from coming off.

Every drive belt change will need the number plate off to get access to the hole, Porsche put the hole there to stop the bumper having to come off.

Mine are velcro'd on after i changed my own drive belt...

Makes for easier cleaning too :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back