Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aftermarket microphone

GD

Hi,

I'm going to put in an aftermarket Bluetooth FM connector into the back of the original HU.

I understand that you need to route the microphone somewhere. Any suggestions for where it's best fit? Is it near the steering column like the original one?

Hi,
I had a Motronic Mconnect2 fitted to my 997.1
The microphone is under the dials to the left of the steering column.

Quick plug:
It was installed by Accutek http://www.accutek.co.uk/ near Winchester in Hampshire.
I have known the owners Chris and Stuart for years (we used to work together) and they do amazing work.

Thanks. So routing the microphone to the steering column appears the best option. Is the voice quality ok? Everyone complains about how bad the voice quality is in my car so I've given up using it. TBH the telephone module is next to useless anyway and I'd rather just go full Bluetooth for voice and audio.

So, as Porsche now allow you to run their warranty for 15 years, I'd like to add an aftermarket Bluetooth option for sound and music.

I'm well aware of the issues with aftermarket additions to the Porsche and warranty and also the relative merits of running a warranty, so don't want to revisit that on this thread.

What I am interested in is the types of connectivity options for this set up.

The easiest appears to be the connection that goes via the FM connnector and would be put behind the dash. This has zero connectivity to the MOST bus and wouldn't be flagged during the rewarranty check.

The connect2 that you mention, is this like the Dension and acts like an CD stack or something else?

Anyone have any suggestions of another connectivity option that's subtle and doesn't involve swapping the HU. Ie keeping the car as stock as possible.

I know Porsche offered a long FM modulator as an option which was expensive and didn't work very well - I also believe it was discontinued because of issues.

I don't know about the warranty conditions.
The mobridge is MOST bus and replaces the built in phone unit if fitted and integrates with the steering wheel controls etc. Sound quality is fine.
FM is the cheapest and easiest way to go, but will be a comprimise on sound quality and functionality.

iainwarner6 said:
Hi,
I had a Motronic Mconnect2 fitted to my 997.1
The microphone is under the dials to the left of the steering column.

Quick plug:
It was installed by Accutek http://www.accutek.co.uk/ near Winchester in Hampshire.
I have known the owners Chris and Stuart for years (we used to work together) and they do amazing work.

I have the same system and fitted it myself. Really easy and straight forward, plugs into the MOST loop behind the PCM unit.

I experimented with having the microphone in various locations and in the end settled for having it on the rear view mirror. Its easy to feed the wire up the door pillar and along the top of the windscreen.

I find the audio quality when im talking isnt quite as good as other oem bluetooth phone systems on my other cars but its perfectly good. Ive certainly not had anyone complain and I make a lot of calls.

There is an app you get which lets you connect and adjust the microphone gain etc - ive not tried that yet.

Thanks. I'm tempted with an FM one just purely so that it doesn't interfere with the warranty.

Interesting about the microphone. I had mine there on he 996, it it was awful and a lot of people complained about it. However this was also a Targa and I'm wondering whether that contributed to it - almost certainly.

As long as the direct FM connection doesn't crackle and pop, then I'm tempted with this. Especially as it will connect over BT, which isn't true broad spectrum anyway (unless it's he very latest specification BT).

I'll give a local fitter a call and see what they suggest - and post back on here for any comments.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back