Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bose - an observation..

3point6

Silverstone
We all know the media centre sat/nav screen thing is not the best sound system however, it is seen as being more desirable (having a screen instead of an old skool single-din radio)..it certainly looks better - but does is sound better? :?:

No.

My previous 996TT (a 2002 facelift car) had a single din CD radio. I didn't mind as this allowed me to delete the lower centre console which was great.

My current 2004 996TT has the PCM2 satnav screen thing.

Both cars have Bose.

With the single din CD radio, the bass is fantastic. Anything over setting 2 and it's too much, boom and windows shaking etc.. I actually had to use it
with the LOUD function turned off with this radio to try and control the booming bass. It works fine with LOUD off and bass on 2.. :thumb:

PCM2 however.. :pc:
The bass tuned up full on this system is the same as the bass on setting on 1or2 on the CD Radio. It's very poor.. but why..they are both using Bose amps and speakers? Also, I don't think the sound quality is there either. :x

So.. the moral is.. if you are buying a 996 don't let the fact a car has or has not got PCM influence your decision. :thumb:

I am going to suggest that there may be a fault somewhere.
Do you have the rear-shelf sub fitted? is it working? Door speakers? is there sound coming out of them?
The PCM should not sound significantly worse than the single DIN unit.
:?:

I read your post yesterday and also wondered if something might be amiss

I think mine sounds pretty good, both in terms of bass and overall quality even when compared with modern high end cars or my house hi-fi for that matter!

Mac

I don't think there is any particular fault with either system, it is just that I have had the chance to compare the two.. (yes both with rear shelf Bose systems). If I knew no better I would have nothing to complain about...I only think the PCM is bad because the single din was so loud. It really was a boomfest.

If anyone else has the single din with the Bose shelf, maybe they can confirm if theirs is also very bass'y (if you need to think about it then its not as it will be very obvious).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back