Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil/Filter change

elucius

My last two petrol Porsches (I've also had an Cayenne and a Macan) had an oil/filter change ahead of the two year recommended period.
The first, on my 981S, was at 12 months ( and around 6500 miles)
The second, on a 981 Spyder, was after the car had completed its 2k miles running below 4k revs.
Although my 991.2 GTS is likely to do less than 7k miles in the year I'm inclined to have the oil/filter changed once it reaches 2k miles.
I'd be very interested in others views and what they have or will be doing.
Thanks!

elucius said:
My last two petrol Porsches (I've also had an Cayenne and a Macan) had an oil/filter change ahead of the two year recommended period.
The first, on my 981S, was at 12 months ( and around 6500 miles)
The second, on a 981 Spyder, was after the car had completed its 2k miles running below 4k revs.
Although my 991.2 GTS is likely to do less than 7k miles in the year I'm inclined to have the oil/filter changed once it reaches 2k miles.
I'd be very interested in others views and what they have or will be doing.
Thanks!

I had the oil and filter changed on my BGTS at about 1500 miles, probably completely unnecessary but I do find it hard to believe there are no micro particles of abrasive metal in the oil on a new engine, so for my own peace of mind I will be doing the same on my 991.2 GTS somewhere between 1500 and 2500 miles when it's convenient. I find it hard enough to leave the servicing to two year intervals too, with the early oil change I'll leave the first service until two years from new, and after that I'm not sure - I might be happy enough with the two year intervals then. There is no doubt that oil technology has improved massively and the synthetic oils are far better than the mineral oil of the past, also I expect the filters have improved too and keep the oil much cleaner than they used to.

I change the oil every year irrespective of the schedule or mileage. Probably a throwback to my rallying days when we dropped the oil for every event.

damn thing still blew up though...... :hand:

I had the oil changed on my Turbo S after 1500 miles. Couldn't get my head round leaving it till 20K miles.
It was ridiculously expensive though at £650 and left me feeling somewhat ripped off

Oil change

Hi David, you must be enjoying the car if you've done 2000 miles already, finilasing the spec on ours tomorrow, ( so easy ticking them boxes) Darren

Re: Oil change

Darren p said:
Hi David, you must be enjoying the car if you've done 2000 miles already, finilasing the spec on ours tomorrow, ( so easy ticking them boxes) Darren
Hi Darren the car has done 1450 miles but 2k will come up soon enough which is why I'm asking. I love the car! So glad I got it!
I know what you mean about the configurator, I struggled! Still if its lock down tomorrow at least that will stop you keep looking!
Hopefully the wait will go quickly.
Best
John

I had the oil and filter changed on my BGTS at about 1500 miles, probably completely unnecessary but I do find it hard to believe there are no micro particles of abrasive metal in the oil on a new engine, so for my own peace of mind I will be doing the same on my 991.2 GTS somewhere between 1500 and 2500 miles when it's convenient. I find it hard enough to leave the servicing to two year intervals too, with the early oil change I'll leave the first service until two years from new, and after that I'm not sure - I might be happy enough with the two year intervals then. There is no doubt that oil technology has improved massively and the synthetic oils are far better than the mineral oil of the past, also I expect the filters have improved too and keep the oil much cleaner than they used to.[/quote]

I'm going to have an oil/filter change soon Gordon, should be around 2k miles. As you say, peace of mind

I change the oil/filter in all my cars every 3-4k miles irrespective of the age of the car or the specified service intervals.

Realistically its the only thing you can do from a maintenance perspective to prolong engine life. Not sure about filters technology improving though, they are all still concertinad bits of thin cardboardy stuff... I mean, how advanced can that get?

:?:

ragpicker said:
I change the oil/filter in all my cars every 3-4k miles irrespective of the age of the car or the specified service intervals.

Realistically its the only thing you can do from a maintenance perspective to prolong engine life. Not sure about filters technology improving though, they are all still concertinad bits of thin cardboardy stuff... I mean, how advanced can that get?

:?:
I agree it does seem odd, in regard to the filter, but presumably there have been some advances?

Martian said:
Edventure said:
I had the oil changed on my Turbo S after 1500 miles. Couldn't get my head round leaving it till 20K miles.
It was ridiculously expensive though at £650 and left me feeling somewhat ripped off

£650 for an oil change?! :bandit:
Blimey...I'll check when I book mine in! The cost of the oil /filter change for my 981 Spyder last year was £250!

Martian said:
elucius said:
....The cost of the oil /filter change for my 981 Spyder last year was £250!

£250 is still a rip off.
I agree its expensive but with a new car its worth getting the book stamped by an OPC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back