Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Short Shift Kits

AslanC2S

Trainee
Hi,

Has anybody tried the eBay short shift kits that are on there for around 30 quid.

Any good.

Cheers

I've put one in mine. I don't have any experience with expensive kits so cant compare, but i like it, it does the job. No complaints from me...

Best 911 'cheap mod' ever.

Make sure you disassemble it and turn the lever around as it'll be setup for lhd. The garage I used forgot to do this after I explicitly told them and now it's awkward punching passengers in the leg when selecting reverse.

Other than that absolutely amazing.

You can turn it around in situ. Just pull off your knob and gaitor, slide your shaft out, pop out the leaver, spin round and pop back in the socket, slide shaft back in and pop your knob back with a firm grip of your hand.

How many sexual innuendos :oops: :grin:

Thanks for the input. Sounds like they are definitely worth a go.

Cheers

I fitted one to mine 14 months back. Done 16,000 miles with it. Only problem I found is that the nuts which go on the shaft are not nylock nuts and even after using threadlock on them, I occasionally find they become loose. When they get loose you can tell as the gearstick suddenly has loads of movement.

Other than that, for £30 its a bargain!

I have a cheapie eBay one and it's one of the best mods/£ I have done, had it on for nearly 18 months and no problems. Beware there are rip off merchants out there that will charge you £150 for the same unit!

Lucky that my 997 GTS was specced with the factory SSK....the gear shift is one of my favourite things about the car.

I have just changed my car and my new car has a cheapy SSK fitted well it was from Design 911 but effectively its a highly priced cheapy lol.
this is my thoughts on it
its very short 30% shorter than the stock but the same as the OE SSK . it has nylon bushes which cause more sideways slop than is ideal ,but its liveable with.
when the cars cold 1st and 2nd can be a bitch to get into gear.
I personally could live with it if I had too. but I am looking at the OE GT3 shifter which is 15% shorter than the stock shifter and has metal bearings so it is more of a rifle action going into gear. I also think I would like a slightly longer throw than my current SSK as its very easy to select 5th not 3nd etc. this isnt helped by the lateral slop in the shifter .
This is only my opinion and what I have found since buying the gen2 recently :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back