Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air Con - something I never knew. Did you?

Alex

Earlier this year my aircon finally ran out of frost, due to a weeping joint on one of the pipes running the length of the car. The joint's a common leak point and also common for the bolt to be welded in, so I left it for my trusted mechanic to sort out when it was serviced.
He ended up drilling the old one out and putting a bolt all the way through with nut on the otherside but unfortunately at the time he didn't have the correct o-ring so it's been left since then. As I'm off on my hols next week I need it sorting so booked it in with him tomorrow to fit the o-ring and re-gas.

On to the topic, he said to me, I'll do it properly for you as well. I said how do you mean - vac down then gas and oil? At which point he said - No, I'll drain the existing oil from your compressor as once it's stopped working, the old oil just lies there dormant and vac'ing down doesn't get it out. He tells me that when garages redo your aircon, if they don't do this, then all they're doing is adding more oil to what's already in there and thus, not having the correct oil/gas level in there for the system to function 100% efficiently.

Seems perfect sense to me and also seems like 99% of places that do aircon don't do this. Was anyone else aware of this?

Alex

I did not know this but will be checking up on it when i have to get mine done !!! All seems so logical when someone says it like that

Everyday you learn someting !!!

If there has been a leak on the system for sometime it is also good practice to replace the receiver/dryer :thumb:

Im sure thats standard ie even halfords do as iseem to remember them telling me how much they had removed.

jonttt said:
Im sure thats standard ie even halfords do as iseem to remember them telling me how much they had removed.

That's only the old gas. Vac systems aren't capable of removing liquid, just gas.

alex yates said:
That's only the old gas. Vac systems aren't capable of removing liquid, just gas.

I'll have to check with one of the guys who does my fridge work but I was under the impression that the liquids in the system boiled off as the vacuum came down.
It may be the Halfords machines don't spend long enough vaccing down. I know we'll sometimes spend a hour or more just to achieve as close as possible to an absolute vacuum before refilling but the capacity of the systems are different so :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back