Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 5
997 : 2004- 60
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 9
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 15
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 11
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 6
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

plynchy
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove from Teesside to Insch for my turbo, drove it home the same day.

Was very fortunate that the previous owner ran a village garage and had no issues with me poking around under the car on his 4 post lift. thumbsup

Good luck! Will be a hell of a drive home if you go for it.

Greggy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sound advice and to those people who have sent me pm's - it's been really helpful. Car was inspected today - more info to follow once I've spoken to the vendor.

eko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?

Intrigued as to how you got on?

Greggy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eko wrote:
Any updates?

The car went into Ricky Gauld's workshop last week and I'm pleased to report that that the verdict was a positive one! I've agreed a price in principle and booked a (one way) flight for this Friday. I've never bought a car in this way so I'm both scared and excited! Assuming I have no major wobble when I finally see the car myself I'm planning on doing the deal and driving it back on Saturday. Its the best part of 500 miles to home so a good way to become acquainted I guess Very Happy

The suggestion to use Ricky was a good one. I feel confident he's given it a thorough going over. Thanks again everyone for the guidance and interest. I'll update you again once I'm in bonnie Scotland Cool

easternjets
Suzuka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greggy, you did the right thing, check it then buy it. If your driving back on Friday can I make one suggestion that you must heed! Aberdeen is a massive PITA to drive through at peak times, it can take an hour to get from one side to the other I kid you not it is a nightmare.
One thing the petrol is cheap there, Propeller filling station is Shell and on the road into Aberdeen on the left, I always fill up there.
Hope everything goes well and the car is as you expect, enjoy the drive back.
Porsche 928 S4
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera 1985

Nightrain QDUN4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the new car, reminds me of when I flew to Epsom to pick mine up a few years ago, did exactly the same had it checked out first, great run back to Aberdeen.

You should be ok with the traffic this weekend as the kids are on summer holidays, much quieter on the roads this week. Watch out for the safety cameras on the A90 oh and one just after the Shell station.

Enjoy...

thumbsup

eko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greggy wrote:
eko wrote:
Any updates?

The car went into Ricky Gauld's workshop last week and I'm pleased to report that that the verdict was a positive one! I've agreed a price in principle and booked a (one way) flight for this Friday. I've never bought a car in this way so I'm both scared and excited! Assuming I have no major wobble when I finally see the car myself I'm planning on doing the deal and driving it back on Saturday. Its the best part of 500 miles to home so a good way to become acquainted I guess Very Happy

The suggestion to use Ricky was a good one. I feel confident he's given it a thorough going over. Thanks again everyone for the guidance and interest. I'll update you again once I'm in bonnie Scotland Cool

That's good to hear, hope all goes well for you thumbsup

Scully

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could drive Dufftown > Craigellachie > Grantown-On-Spey >Aviemore, onto the A9 down to Perth. Fabulous scenery and a great drive (apart from the average speed cams on the A9). Avoids Aberdeen too.

Dave

JS1500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scully wrote:
You could drive Dufftown > Craigellachie > Grantown-On-Spey >Aviemore, onto the A9 down to Perth. Fabulous scenery and a great drive (apart from the average speed cams on the A9). Avoids Aberdeen too.

Dave

Thumb

Saw the ad for this car and thought it looked great, glad to hear Ricky Gauld thinks it's a goodun. He built the engine in my MG.

coullstar
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked a good one.

Another suggestion for avoiding Aberdeen and a nice little drive is if its Huntly then go Alford - Finzean - Cairn O Mount - Fettercairn then onto A90 which is the main road south from Aberdeen.

OR Huntly - Aboyne - Braemar and down the Glenshee road A93 to Blairgowrie then onto Perth. Great road but depends on how quickly you want to get south.

Id avoid A9 due to average cameras.

911TEL
Österreich

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coullstar wrote:
Looked a good one.

Another suggestion for avoiding Aberdeen and a nice little drive is if its Huntly then go Alford - Finzean - Cairn O Mount - Fettercairn then onto A90 which is the main road south from Aberdeen.

OR Huntly - Aboyne - Braemar and down the Glenshee road A93 to Blairgowrie then onto Perth. Great road but depends on how quickly you want to get south.

Id avoid A9 due to average cameras.

I would take the 2nd option there and really get to know your new car .....I also saw the ad and it looked like a good car on the face of it ,had I been at home not on holiday I would have been beating a track along there myself !!

glad it was a positive result for you though ....enjoy !!
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
(All current)

HSC911
Sepang

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news thumbsup

Another to look out for in Bedford. Cheers

Can we have pics now please Sad

Thumb

Last edited by HSC911 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greggy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]https://thumbsnap.com/Rs8W4HYL[/img]

BHZ661
Österreich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking car thumbsup

M9JOC
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greggy wrote:
[img]https://thumbsnap.com/Rs8W4HYL[/img]

Hi You bought Richard's 996.

Lovely car that.

Enjoy

James

Greggy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update on this. I did indeed fly up to Scotland and buy the car Smile . It lived up to expectations and was beautifully presented. I've got an A4 ring binder with a stack of receipts, stamped service book and all the original handbooks in their wallet. Richard the seller was a thoroughly nice bloke and was very patient with my string of questions both on the day and in the lead up to my purchase.

Slightly embarrassing situation with my internet banking app and Santander were completely inept in sorting out the problem until I lost my patience with them and gave them a good blasting down the phone. I had even phoned them earlier in the day explaining what my intentions were. Gun Fire Thankfully Richard was very understanding and the best part of 3 hrs later the funds had FINALLY cleared and I was on my way. stopping off on the southern side of Aberdeen for the night.

Set off about 7.30 Sat morning for the long drive home. The roads were pretty much deserted until I got to Edinburgh, so a great way to become accustomed to the car Cool . I love the driving position and the visibility from the cockpit. The way the 'A' pillars curve where they meet the dash to maximise your view through a bend. The solidity of the controls, weighty but not hefty, definitely an active rather than passive driving experience but I love that. The induction roar and the change in engine note when you give it the beans - oh my! Not sure why I'm rabbiting on about this really as I guess I'm preaching to the converted. Embarassed

One thing that has taken some getting used to is the short-shift kit and there's been a few occasions when changing up from second I've "brushed" (ahem) first rather than slotting into third. I'm getting better but do have to consciously think about it. I've got the stand linkage too so could swap back if I wanted to.

Hit a bit of traffic around Edinburgh and again at Newcastle but most of the journey was fine, aside from the rain. Arrived home safe and sound just after 4pm. Despite my anxiety the car decided not to grenade itself on the way back and I'm a happy man! Very Happy

Only minor mishap was I decided to give it a wash Sunday morning. Whilst drying the back end I managed to dislodge the "4" from the "Carrera 4" badge Rolling Eyes . Judging by the sticky pads on the back I suspect its come off before. Unfortunately in doing so the edge of the badge has put a faint scratch across the rear panel nooo I had some Meguiars Scratch X in the garage a gave that a quick go but whilst improved I can still see it. Could anyone else suggest an alternative? Should I try a succession of polish cycles to see if that improves it? I'm always a bit wary with "T Cut" type products as I don't want to make matters worse.

I was planning on cutting down a number plate adhesive pad to re-stick the badge as I thought glue could get a bit messy. Also any suggestion as to how to position it correctly? Once I've removed the remains of the old sticky pad I wont have a point of reference. On that subject what's the best way of removing the gluey mess? Applying a small amount of heat and a gentle peel?

Ok my last question for now and to try and bring it back to the original thread. How do I upload photos to my post rather than the thumbsnap link I posted? As Photobucket have lost the plot what the best hosting option? I can then add a few more pics of the car Thumb

Thanks guys for the suggestion of Ricky Gauld. I've not had the pleasure of meeting him in person but the email he sent me and my subsequent conversation with him proved to be most worthwhile, so it was money well spent thumbsup

Gazc2
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Greggy glad it all worked out. I use faststone photo resizer to reduce my pictures then upload to 911uk Thumb
1987 3.2 Cab
1986 3.3 Turbo
1986 944 2.5 (later fitted with a 2.7 after wife went scuba diving in a flood and popped a piston through the block)

Marky911
Österreich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep good result Greggy. Glad it all worked out.
Same thing happened to me when I went to collect my 996 from Scotland. Internet banking wouldn't do transfer, hence an hour of irate phone calls etc.

Re the badge, measure where it is before you remove glue. Maybe run a line of masking tape under the Carrera part and continue it along to the 4. Mark the tape where the 4 goes.

You could wet and dry the scratch out I'm sure, then buff it up but if you aren't confident I'd pop into a local detailer and see if they'll help.

To get the sticky backing off use a hairdryer or heat gun or very hot water from the kettle. Then wd40 or tardis to get glue off. Even white spirits used very carefully and rinsed well afterwards will be ok.

All I would add is that the badges are only really good for using once. As you've seen, the backing material isn't reusable.
I always just fit a new badge but you can faff about with double sided foam pads/tape and get ok results if you're patient. It's hard to get the exact shape of the script though.

Anyway it's all good fun tinkering and perfecting things and as your confidence grows you'll find yourself doing more and more.

Have fun and enjoy the new car!

Thumb

PS I now use Postimage.org for pic hosting since Photobucket has just ruined years of car and house renovation threads for me. PC

eko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky Gauld is one of these guys that have been around for a long time with a good reputation.

No money spent on advertising, just word of mouth. Used to prepare a lot of race/rally cars, but I think his specialty was always Hillman Imps, or anything that ran with a Coventry Climax engine. So he's used to rear engined at least.
Very Happy

First time I used him he was just doing some final adjustments on a rally prepared Lotus Sunbeam, once it was done the owner booted it sideways right from the garage and as far as I could see around the corner leading from it.
Sticks in my memory.

Anyway, glad to hear it's a good car, and I hope it treats you well.

Greggy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url=https://postimage.org][/url]

H'mm, working out how to use postulate but here's a few pics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: