Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo wheels centre caps stick out after refurb

silvermilnec

Albert Park
Hi everyone, when I bought the turbo the dealer had the wheels refurbed and bought new centres, the centre caps protrude about 2mm possibly a bit less.

Anyone know how to make them fit perfectly?

Cheers

Attachments

• img_6061_211.jpg
    img_6061_211.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 4,333
I don't think you will be able to. The wheel itself has been diamond cut back to get rid of scars and blemishes meaning that the centre cap will now protrude slightly.

The sight of this is not sitting well with my ocd. I'm sure Chris from xcel wheels would have a solution for this

Very common after a refurb im afraid , the wheels are shaved during the process .

Ive tryed to sand down the outer edge of the wheel caps before to get them to sit further in .. the downside is the tags on the caps that locate them also sit further in and so the caps are then too loose.

I had this on one of my wheels.

Poor quality refurb I am afraid, the only solution is another refurb....

Jam911 said:
Poor quality refurb I am afraid, the only solution is another refurb....

:?: Some additive machining required :?:

I assume you mean to widen the centre bore.

Can you remove any material from centre cap so it sits further in? I would try this first.

Damn - Sadly your wheels have been milled back far to much, looks like they have been taken back by over 3mm at least. I would not be happy with that, and thats quite some strength taken away as well.

You can try and play sanding with the center caps to get a better / flusher look but ultimately I think you have had it due to a poor lazy refurb job.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

The solution is easy when you have the wheels and centre caps in front of you. I ll look out a centre cap and tell you how to fix it

As metioned remove a mm or so from the back outer edge of the cap then plastic weld the cap legs and reshape to remove the slack

Boba fett said:
Damn - Sadly your wheels have been milled back far to much, looks like they have been taken back by over 3mm at least. I would not be happy with that, and thats quite some strength taken away as well.

You can try and play sanding with the center caps to get a better / flusher look but ultimately I think you have had it due to a poor lazy refurb job.

Well that's disappointing then!! To be honest I thought the finish was good but it does wind me up when I clean them! Must be something I can do.

All too common but not for us at Exel without sounding glib.

We never have this issue because we know these wheels.

There are 2 things: first the paint in the centreborevis preventing the cap sitting at its original point (we remove this on all wheels), secondly in extreme cases where the wheel has been refurbed a few times there are notches on the back of the cap which can be filed down allowing the cap to sink lower. This can have a downside as the prongs lose grip but this can be overcome if you know what you're doing.

Just did ARP's today with brand new caps and they're perfect as I'm sure he'll testify. Bit in the position to post pics on here but may put some up on my Facebook page which I can do from my phone.

To the OP if I can help please drop me a line I'm more than happy to if I can.

silvermilnec said:
Boba fett said:

Well that's disappointing then!! To be honest I thought the finish was good but it does wind me up when I clean them! Must be something I can do.

Don't be disappointed mate, there will always be away, it's worth having a play with them, if not Gen2's

Boba fett said:
silvermilnec said:
Boba fett said:

Don't be disappointed mate, there will always be away, it's worth having a play with them, if not Gen2's
My mate an engineer and is guna have a look, he deals with machining down to microns so hopefully he can sort but GEN 2 do sound like a good idea😂😂

A bit of work with the dremel and that's allot better!

Attachments

• img_6315_184.jpg
    img_6315_184.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 3,515

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back