Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 9
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 41
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 9
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
v8fettler
Trainee


Joined: 30 Apr 2016
Posts: 66



PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Paint Protection Film Vs Ceramic/Nano coatings Reply with quote

Has anyone near Leeds had either Paint Protection Film or Ceramic Coating on their car?? I'm an engineer and want to get 'eyes on' them, see which to go for.

Anyone got good/bad things to say about either?

Ceramic seems amazing, but I still can't fathom if it'll do as good a job as a film at protecting. I know it looks like a layer of glass of done correctly, and that's what's making me want that instead of Film, plus it's easy to wash.

Then there's colour wraps. I always wanted a vibrant colour, and I've ended up with Basalt Black. It looks lovely, but it's not 'me'. Again, a lot of wraps I've looked at are poor, bubbles, corners showing etc. Anyone gone the wrap route, and happy to let me come look at it?

Probably go to a few shows, see what I can see before I commit, but I need to get it done before winter, otherwise I'll just forget about it.

Cheers Chaps..
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
RJW1881
Monza


Joined: 10 Aug 2015
Posts: 242
Location: Holbeach

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise going to see someone like REEP in Leicester, or a reputable detailed that's near you. They have just done my car with PPF on front end and ceramic coating everywhere else. They had 5-6 cars in there workshop having different things done that I could look at and they were very knowledgeable on all options available.

I am really happy with my car now which is 10 years only and looks showroom ready all the time. Just a note the ceramic coating doesn't offer any real protection against chips.
_________________
997.1 turbo- manual/PCCB/re-map/Europipe/ lowered
Buell XB12-carbon/ exhaust/ remap/ lowered
Disco 4-daily(no need to lower it has air suspension!)
VXR8-supercharged/ remap/ lowered/ exhaust
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
madge
Nürburgring


Joined: 29 Dec 2015
Posts: 438
Location: Hampshire


PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJW1881 wrote:
Just a note the ceramic coating doesn't offer any real protection against chips.


Yeah

PPF and ceramic coatings are different types of product and not really comparable against one another.

The coating will give polished paint added gloss and swirl protection plus easier cleaning but it's not going to protect against minor scrapes and stone chips like the film will.

Depending on your budget, there's no reason why you couldn't have both and then you get the individual benefits of both products.
_________________
Current: 993 Carrera Coupé, Manual, Varioram
Previous: 987 Cayman S
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
apollokre1d
Indianapolis


Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 2359
Location: United Kingdom


PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJW1881 wrote:
I am really happy with my car now which is 10 years only and looks showroom ready all the time.


Thanks for this, really interested in getting this done myself, any idea how long these last before they start looking tatty? I think I heard somewhere you need to get it checked every 3 years assuming you've not have any damage before then?

My car is also 10 years old so the paint is hardly perfect, do they do anything to the paint before applying the PPF?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Boba fett
Kyalami


Joined: 14 May 2015
Posts: 1886



PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but no coating, whether its Nano, Ceramic, Carnuba or gob is going to protect from stone chips, unless you drive you car around at 10 miles per hour.

Plastic film works, but on certain colours you will notice it slightly, but its worth it.

I would like to wrap my car a fancy colour, and I have been to a few places and one near by is one of the best, but no wrap ever looks like paint, I can spot it a mile off. Most to me just look like a bad paint job. Then the fact you have scalpel blades and the likes next to your paint scares me.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
NottsRS
Barcelona


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 1336



PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollokre1d wrote:
My car is also 10 years old so the paint is hardly perfect, do they do anything to the paint before applying the PPF?


It needs to ideally be chip and blemish free as the PPF won't sit correctly and leave bubble type marks where it can't adhere to or fill into. I've had my car fully covered in Paint Shield's Suntek self heal PPF it really is good stuff.

Thumb
_________________
993 RS | Riviera Blue | Lightweight
964 RS | GP White | Lightweight
993 4S | Viola Metallic | Factory Non Sunroof | [Jan'09-Mar'16]
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
apollokre1d
Indianapolis


Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 2359
Location: United Kingdom


PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NottsRS wrote:
apollokre1d wrote:
My car is also 10 years old so the paint is hardly perfect, do they do anything to the paint before applying the PPF?


It needs to ideally be chip and blemish free as the PPF won't sit correctly and leave bubble type marks where it can't adhere to or fill into. I've had my car fully covered in Paint Shield's Suntek self heal PPF it really is good stuff.

Thumb


Make's sense, i should factor getting the paint sorted out first. Thanks for that Smile
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
RJW1881
Monza


Joined: 10 Aug 2015
Posts: 242
Location: Holbeach

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollokre1d wrote:
RJW1881 wrote:
I am really happy with my car now which is 10 years only and looks showroom ready all the time.


Thanks for this, really interested in getting this done myself, any idea how long these last before they start looking tatty? I think I heard somewhere you need to get it checked every 3 years assuming you've not have any damage before then?

My car is also 10 years old so the paint is hardly perfect, do they do anything to the paint before applying the PPF?


I was told it lasts 10 years?

I had a front end respray, then they did a total machine polish before it was applied.
_________________
997.1 turbo- manual/PCCB/re-map/Europipe/ lowered
Buell XB12-carbon/ exhaust/ remap/ lowered
Disco 4-daily(no need to lower it has air suspension!)
VXR8-supercharged/ remap/ lowered/ exhaust
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
jonttt
Reims


Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Posts: 4250
Location: Liverpool


PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a "polisher" all my life but bought a boxster which already had PPF on. I had never really entertained it before but the fact that when I viewed the car in the showroom myself nor the OPC realised it even had PPF film on says it all. The newer stuff really is amazing.

After having the car for a few months now and many washes later I'm still really impressed. nb mine is a white car.

Personally if I was you and wanted a complete job, depending on existing paint condition I would :

- get a full polish to get the paintwork in best condition you can, get PPF applied to front / vulnerable areas and then ceramic coating to none PPF areas Dont know

If you front end has plenty of stone chips that won't polish out I'd get a front end respray before having the PPF applied.

Your looking at c£2k for a proper job so you really need to want it doing. It may add a little to the value of the car / make it easier to sell but you won't get that back on the value of the car.
_________________
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Einstein

1997 Porsche 911 993 C4S My Journal
2014 Porsche Boxster GTS My Journal
2017 BMW 740e Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
apollokre1d
Indianapolis


Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 2359
Location: United Kingdom


PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJW1881 wrote:

I was told it lasts 10 years?

I had a front end respray, then they did a total machine polish before it was applied.


You are probably right and I must have miss heard that. If it lasts 5-7 years it will be money well spent.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
madge
Nürburgring


Joined: 29 Dec 2015
Posts: 438
Location: Hampshire


PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollokre1d wrote:
RJW1881 wrote:

I was told it lasts 10 years?

I had a front end respray, then they did a total machine polish before it was applied.


You are probably right and I must have miss heard that. If it lasts 5-7 years it will be money well spent.


It depends on the brand. Different brands have different guarantee periods.

I'm no expert on these but I think the achilles heel of PPF used to be the deterioration of the adhesive rather than the film itself. They seemed to have improved this issue greatly over recent years.
_________________
Current: 993 Carrera Coupé, Manual, Varioram
Previous: 987 Cayman S
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
apollokre1d
Indianapolis


Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 2359
Location: United Kingdom


PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:
Your looking at c£2k for a proper job so you really need to want it doing. It may add a little to the value of the car / make it easier to sell but you won't get that back on the value of the car.


Any idea if the good reputable PPF companies also do the front end respray? Or do you need to sort that out on your own first?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Boba fett
Kyalami


Joined: 14 May 2015
Posts: 1886



PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollokre1d wrote:
jonttt wrote:
Your looking at c£2k for a proper job so you really need to want it doing. It may add a little to the value of the car / make it easier to sell but you won't get that back on the value of the car.


Any idea if the good reputable PPF companies also do the front end respray? Or do you need to sort that out on your own first?


Wombat are Porsche approved, that's who did mine through Porsche centre Tonbridge
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
squelch
Silverstone


Joined: 05 Jun 2016
Posts: 103
Location: Bucks


PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been alluded to already, prep is key - there's no point in "locking in" swirl marks and holograms etc, so a full paint correction first is a must!
SunTek's Self Heal PPF is the dog's danglies - I had the full front end done then Gtechniq Crystal Serum to the rest of the car and ExoV3 all over. Mirror finish! As with many things, to a point it's only as good as the guys applying it.
Boba's comment about no coating protecting against stone chips probably needs qualifying - indeed larger stones at speed will break through even the toughest of coatings, but every little helps as they say and even the ceramic coatings can reduce / prevent road rash from smaller road debris. Sadly the newer waterbased factory finishes simply don't offer the protection of the older solvent based ones. The paintwork on my 996 feels bullet proof in comparison to the finish on the 997 and as soon as I collected it I started looking into PPF.
_________________
997.2 GTS, 996 C4S, M Coupe, 535d M Touring, couple of bikes...
 



IMG_7328 (1).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  936.98 KB
 Viewed:  2175 Time(s)

IMG_7328 (1).JPG


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
XPEL
Newbie


Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

As other’s have mentioned here on the thread, there are many differences between Ceramic Coating and Paint Protection Film. Both have their benefits and are not interchangeable.

With PPF, half of the battle comes down to the installer so be sure to find a couple near you and get quotes. Another recommendation is to go to their shop and ask to see examples of their work first hand. This will give you the best idea of their quality.

In regards to how long will it last, not all PPF’s are created equal. Some are warrantied for 10 years, self-healing, and even very easy to maintain.

Hope this info helps. Let us know if we can help with any other PPF related questions.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
v8fettler
Trainee


Joined: 30 Apr 2016
Posts: 66



PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, after going to see a 'Full Wrap' in progress, I've been firmly put off a full body wrap. I'm too much of a perfectionist to put up with the wonky cut edges, even if it is out of initial site. I saw numerous imperfections where something was underneath the film, and the various caviets thrown into conversation just made me think it'd be more hassle than it's worth.

So, back to PPF and Ceramic coatings, after 'correction'.

Who did you use Squelch?? And who's Wombat Bobba??

Are there any alternatives to Gtechniq for Ceramic? I think the Sunteck film is definitely the one, heard several recommendations including from the dealer I'm getting it from.

I'm basing my choice on who does the best paint correction, not who's got the jazziest wrap company...
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
alpinaB3
Trainee


Joined: 24 Mar 2016
Posts: 68



PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Xpel Ultimate PFF on my new S4. I was told that Xpel is a bit thicker than SunTek's Self Heal PPF. So Xpel should provide better protection.

Have you contacted CleanDetail at Doncaster, not too far from Leeds, They are also approved Xpel installers so you have the 10 year guarantee for extra peace of mind. Once the film was on I also have the film treated with Gyeon Q2 MOHS coating.

I had Xpel PFF film on my previous car and even after 6 years it still looked good. I just had the full panel coverage on the bonnet, front wings, mirrors and bumper and sills. However for the 911 I decided to have all the panels fitted with PFF film. One of the benefits in having consistency of gloss finish and full round protection. I am very pleased that I did. Back in April I did a touring holiday in Wales and due to the poor road conditions loose gravel etc. the car is peppered with fine impact marks especially on the rear wings which extend far greater than the standard factory installed PFF panels.

Some pics of the 911 at the PFF installers.





Related topic http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=120224&start=0
_________________
Current: 911.2 4S
Past: Alpina B3 BiTurbo Coupe (e92) No.268 of 270
http://carscapes.byethost33.com/
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
aadhay
Newbie


Joined: 25 May 2017
Posts: 16



PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpinaB3 wrote:
I have Xpel Ultimate PFF on my new S4. I was told that Xpel is a bit thicker than SunTek's Self Heal PPF. So Xpel should provide better protection.

Have you contacted CleanDetail at Doncaster, not too far from Leeds, They are also approved Xpel installers so you have the 10 year guarantee for extra peace of mind. Once the film was on I also have the film treated with Gyeon Q2 MOHS coating.


wow stunning colour!

are you saying you has the Gyeon coating over the PPF? what's the benefit of placing a ceramic coat over PPF? in my mind it would make more sense to cermaic coat the car then apply PPF no?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
madge
Nürburgring


Joined: 29 Dec 2015
Posts: 438
Location: Hampshire


PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aadhay wrote:


wow stunning colour!

are you saying you has the Gyeon coating over the PPF? what's the benefit of placing a ceramic coat over PPF? in my mind it would make more sense to cermaic coat the car then apply PPF no?


Coating goes over the film because the film won't stick properly to a ceramic/quartz coating and you also want the 'weather-proofing' benefits of the coating on top. The only catch is that you'll probably lose the 'self healing' properties of the film, if it has them.
_________________
Current: 993 Carrera Coupé, Manual, Varioram
Previous: 987 Cayman S
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
alpinaB3
Trainee


Joined: 24 Mar 2016
Posts: 68



PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aadhay wrote:
alpinaB3 wrote:
I have Xpel Ultimate PFF on my new S4. I was told that Xpel is a bit thicker than SunTek's Self Heal PPF. So Xpel should provide better protection.

Have you contacted CleanDetail at Doncaster, not too far from Leeds, They are also approved Xpel installers so you have the 10 year guarantee for extra peace of mind. Once the film was on I also have the film treated with Gyeon Q2 MOHS coating.


wow stunning colour!

are you saying you has the Gyeon coating over the PPF? what's the benefit of placing a ceramic coat over PPF? in my mind it would make more sense to cermaic coat the car then apply PPF no?


Thank you for the complements regarding the colour its Sapphire blue metallic blue with graphite blue leather interior (which is grey with a slight hint of blue).

Yes the sealant is on top the film. Even with PFF film to ensure the film retains its gloss finish over time / years it does need either as wax treatment or a sealant applied just like paint. Yes this is the self healing PFF film and I did question with the detailer film installer that wouldn't the Gyeon Q2 MOHS coating crack and peal over time as the coating if rigid and the film is more flexible, his answer is no it wont. I understand a lot of installers offer a sealant solution. With my previous car which PaintShield installed the film they also applied included a sealant on the film to help and maintain the finish of the film. To maintain the gloss finish of the PFF film I use Gyeon Cure as like a detail spray and polish off after I have washed the car. So far no complaints Smile
_________________
Current: 911.2 4S
Past: Alpina B3 BiTurbo Coupe (e92) No.268 of 270
http://carscapes.byethost33.com/
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum