Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 5
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 42
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 11
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 6
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Kiernan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Incoming - GTS2 ordered Reply with quote

Having owned a C2S a few years ago which I didn't quite gel with, I've often regretted selling the car after such a short time as every time I see a 991, I almost kick myself for being so hasty (earlier thread here if anyone's interested http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=94910&highlight=)

I think part of the reason was that the car was secondhand and not to my ideal specification. I had to make compromises on a number of things, and to be honest, I hate compromising when it comes to cars. I've also driven so many Porsches since I sold mine that I feel I 'get them' much more now - the sports cars really are fantastic, from the basic Boxster through to the top end 911's. Even the Macan is a superb drive, although I don't really have much time for the Panamera or Cayenne (apologies if you have one!).

Anyway, after seeing a few carmine red GTS's on here of late, it's tipped me over the edge so I've just placed an order for a new GTS2 Manual (I know, but they really have improved the box from when my old car was built and I'm an old fart) with a fair number of extras.

Not in a rush as we've got a trip planned to Monza in August/September for the Grand Prix, so I'll take my current M4 and then look at selling it after we get back. Looking forward to it even more now as we were always planning to go to Stuttgart so I can see where it all happens. Shame the factory wil be closed for summer as I'd love to do a tour.

I assume I get an invite to Silverstone shortly, but not sure how it works. I'll speak to the dealer for the full details.

scoot
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming - GTS2 ordered Reply with quote

Kiernan wrote:
Having owned a C2S a few years ago which I didn't quite gel with, I've often regretted selling the car after such a short time as every time I see a 991, I almost kick myself for being so hasty (earlier thread here if anyone's interested http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=94910&highlight=)

I think part of the reason was that the car was secondhand and not to my ideal specification. I had to make compromises on a number of things, and to be honest, I hate compromising when it comes to cars. I've also driven so many Porsches since I sold mine that I feel I 'get them' much more now - the sports cars really are fantastic, from the basic Boxster through to the top end 911's. Even the Macan is a superb drive, although I don't really have much time for the Panamera or Cayenne (apologies if you have one!).

Anyway, after seeing a few carmine red GTS's on here of late, it's tipped me over the edge so I've just placed an order for a new GTS2 Manual (I know, but they really have improved the box from when my old car was built and I'm an old fart) with a fair number of extras.

Not in a rush as we've got a trip planned to Monza in August/September for the Grand Prix, so I'll take my current M4 and then look at selling it after we get back. Looking forward to it even more now as we were always planning to go to Stuttgart so I can see where it all happens. Shame the factory wil be closed for summer as I'd love to do a tour.

I assume I get an invite to Silverstone shortly, but not sure how it works. I'll speak to the dealer for the full details.

Congrats on the new car, will be nice to see the specs. You should get an invite to the PEC at Silverstone, its takes about 4weeks to contact you after order is placed.

Kiernan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoot, the full spec of the new car is as follows:-

Carmine red
Alcantara GTS interior package - carmine red
LED headlights with PDLS+
Porsche entry & drive
Park assist (front & rear) with camera
Electric glass sunroof
Privacy glass (rear side windows and rear window)
7 speed manual
20-inch turbo s wheels
Cruise control
Lane change assist
Speed limit display
Automatically dimming mirrors and rain sensor
Light design package
Home link garage door opener
GT leather steering wheel
Heated multi-function steering wheel
18 way adaptive sports seats
Smoking package (for the power supply + cover)
Passenger footwell storage net
Air vents painted
Vehicle key painted with key pouch in leather
Steering column casing in leather
Gear lever in carbon
BOSE surround sound

It's very easy top keep ticking boxes in the Porsche configurator!

I hope I don't need to add anything after my trip to Silverstone; I'm already well over my initial budget.

Cameo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice. worship

I have a manual 991.1 GTS and there's nothing wrong with the box. If they've further improved the .2 then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Just make sure you get your PEC day before your order is locked down - you might want to add something extra (or indeed take something off).

Kiernan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameo wrote:
Good choice. worship

I have a manual 991.1 GTS and there's nothing wrong with the box. If they've further improved the .2 then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Just make sure you get your PEC day before your order is locked down - you might want to add something extra (or indeed take something off).

Cheers for that. Agree about the gearbox - I did the 991.1 GTS intro event at Silverstone in 2015 and even then the gearbox then was much better than my 2013 car. I understand they've improved things even further, so I'm really looking forward to it.

scoot
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiernan wrote:
Scoot, the full spec of the new car is as follows:-

Carmine red
Alcantara GTS interior package - carmine red
LED headlights with PDLS+
Porsche entry & drive
Park assist (front & rear) with camera
Electric glass sunroof
Privacy glass (rear side windows and rear window)
7 speed manual
20-inch turbo s wheels
Cruise control
Lane change assist
Speed limit display
Automatically dimming mirrors and rain sensor
Light design package
Home link garage door opener
GT leather steering wheel
Heated multi-function steering wheel
18 way adaptive sports seats
Smoking package (for the power supply + cover)
Air vents painted
Vehicle key painted with key pouch in leather
Steering column casing in leather
Gear lever in carbon
BOSE surround sound

It's very easy top keep ticking boxes in the Porsche configurator!

I hope I don't need to add anything after my trip to Silverstone; I'm already well over my initial budget.

Kiernan fab specs Thumb Makes mine sound like a cut down version, although I was very wary of going checkbox mad and ending up with £20k of options Floor

Mines Manual as well... Specs
Miami Blue
Turbo S Wheels
Manual
SportDesign package
GTS Alcantara® package
ParkAssist (front and rear)
Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
Smoking package
Bose

scoot
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiernan wrote:
Cameo wrote:
Good choice. worship

Cheers for that. Agree about the gearbox - I did the 991.1 GTS intro event at Silverstone in 2015 and even then the gearbox then was much better than my 2013 car. I understand they've improved things even further, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Yes box is better than my 2013C2S Manual from my experiences at the PEC.

Palmball
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice spec.....although you're making my painted vents a less rare option Razz

Kiernan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palmball wrote:
Nice spec.....although you're making my painted vents a less rare option Razz

Sorry, but I have to blame you for those. Hadn't even considered them until I saw your car and they just looked superb, so I just couldn't resist.

I have a feeling that this forum is going to cost me a lot of money, but hey, you can't take it with you.

weejimmy
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kiernan,

Given the choice again, I think I would go -10mm instead of the standard -20mm for a GTS Coupe. It is definitely firmer than my 991.1 C4s was. In some aspects that is nice, esp when pushing on as it gives fantastic body control. But at low speeds (sub 30 mph) on poor surfaces it is harsher than I personally like cars to be. Not unbearably so, but more than I would really like.

My choice to go standard was based on driving a C4 GTS Cab... that felt perfect ride wise for my tastes and I checked and it was standard spec, but I hadn't realised that the Cab sits higher by default for a GTS. Doh. nooo

You live and learn!

Kiernan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weejimmy.

Thanks for that; this is something I've been thinking about for a while.

I'm borrowing my dealers C4S on Saturday to try out the rear axle steering, and as far as I'm aware it's on the standard -10mm PASM suspension. If this handles to my expectations I may amend my order to the more comfortable set up. Personally, I'm not too keen on overly stiff suspension as I think in many cases, it can hinder decent progress as you're getting thrown around too much.

As I mentioned before, my brother has a 991.1 C4S and having driven it quite a lot recently, I find it an excellent compromise. The other thing is that the 991.1 GTS also came with -10mm as standard, and that received lots of positive reviews.

I'll let you know how Saturday goes (after qualifying of course).

weejimmy
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiernan wrote:
Weejimmy.
The other thing is that the 991.1 GTS also came with -10mm as standard, and that received lots of positive reviews.

I drove a 991.1 GTS and found it no harsher than my 991.1 C4s. TBH I was so hoping that they would keep the 3.8 in the GTS as I loved the 991. version.

My only two gripes are an engine that is better is pretty much every way but less pleasurable to listen too ... and the firm ride.

In every other aspect the GTS is the better car and by quite a margin.

Gorsh
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kiernan,

Very nice spec you have there.

I was concerned about the suspension too, and after driving both the Sport PASM and standard (-10) PASM I was convinced that I wanted the -10, the test drives also convinced me I wanted RearAxle Steering too, it's a very popular option that most owners feel is well worth having. I have also chose PDCC, it does it's job but isn't popular with all owners, I decided to have it with the -10 suspension to give extra body control, I haven't driven a car with that combo but I'm hoping they will work well together to give a more compliant ride combined with good stability on corners.

weejimmy
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopped back in mine this morning after a day or two commuting on my road bike and it felt absolutely fine on roads I know well. If anything I felt it was better than my old C4s as has better control where the C4s would float a little.

As per another post, I did find that the rears were +9 PSI and the fronts +5 over the recommended comfort pressures. So maybe that is helping. Plus my memories of the C4s and its responses are beginning to fade.

Maybe it will become a little more supple with use? Only 230 miles on the clock ... filled it up for the first time this morning! Walking back to the car after paying the lowered stance really does look fab, much meaner and more hunkered down and the nose is much more defined than my C4s which was stock (so no aero kit) and a bit bulbous. The red really shinks the car versus the white and the -20mm help with that impression to.

Back on the fence!

Dont know

Kiernan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update having borrowed my OPC's C4S demonstrater for much of the day

Engine - Loved it. Still has a 911 sound whilst at the same time obviously a turbo. I thought it had plenty of grunt, even at the top end where many turbos run out of puff. Sure it sounded different to earlier 911's, but still a really nice sound. The GTS is supposed to sound better than the standard carrera, so it's a thumbs up from me. I also took my brother out for a spin (he's got a 991.1 C4S with the sports exhaust) and he also approved, so he knows what he's getting next; in fact, he was so taken with the spec of the demo car that he's asked me to see what they'd be looking at to trade his car against the demo when it comes onto the market.

Steering - Miles better than my M4, and really responsive. This may have been influenced by the next point.

Chassis - The rear axle steering was noticeable in some tight corners, and seemed to make the car more responsive. Not a night and day difference as the car is really good without it, but certainly worth the cost - that's now been added to the order.

The suspension is more of a moot point - the car was running the standard -10mm PASM and it felt really nice, verging on the supple on some roads. However, I felt in a couple of corners that it could do with a wee bit more control, so for the time being the -20mm is still on the order. The other thing is that I want the full-on GTS experience, so don't want to water it down unless necessary.

A couple of other things following my time with the car.

I'd originally ordered the carbon fibre gear lever which forces you to take the leather steering wheel. Whilst I love the GT steering wheel, I found the leather got a bit uncomfortable after some serious driving, so I've changed the order back to the standard alcantara wheel and gear lever. Hey, it's always good to reduce the cost wherever possible.....

However, I found the standard sun visors a bit cheap, and stood out against the alcantara headlining. Of course, Porsche can fix this for £291 by covering them in alcantara. They've now been added!

Other than that, really enjoyed my time with the car and the proper 'sports car' feel. I'm not going to start slagging off my M4 as I think it's a fantastic car, especially for the money, but the 911 just feels that much better.

Now just got to find out when Porsche can build me a car.

Gorsh
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased that you found today's test drive useful, we all feel different about certain options and there is no right and wrong in most choices. I drove the -20 PASM more than the -10 and thought it a little too firm at normal road speeds. I'm hoping my decision to go for the -10 with PDCC to keep it in check will be the ideal setup for me.

Too late for me to change anyway, my car has arrived at the OPC and the annoying thing is I'm not free to take delivery until first weekend in August.

weejimmy
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiernan wrote:

Engine - Loved it. Still has a 911 sound whilst at the same time obviously a turbo. I thought it had plenty of grunt, even at the top end where many turbos run out of puff. Sure it sounded different to earlier 911's, but still a really nice sound. The GTS is supposed to sound better than the standard carrera, so it's a thumbs up from me. I also took my brother out for a spin (he's got a 991.1 C4S with the sports exhaust) and he also approved, so he knows what he's getting next; in fact, he was so taken with the spec of the demo car that he's asked me to see what they'd be looking at to trade his car against the demo when it comes onto the market.

The sound is good, but for me it's some way shy of the 3.8. There's a back road I use on my way to work when the mood strikes. I used to be able to bathe in the sound of the 3.8. Thus far the GTS sounds agreeable and cultured, but I think it's lacking some of the 3.8's emotion. Then again, you never gelled with the sound of your 991.1 - so its all personal preference!

Response and power wise I think the 3.0TT is better than the 3.8. My 3.8 had a little hesitation on cam change on light to moderate throtttle loads. I got used to it, but it always annoyed me. 3.0TT doesn't seem to suffer from the same thus far.

Kiernan wrote:

Steering - Miles better than my M4, and really responsive. This may have been influenced by the next point.

My e92's are a distant memory now. All I can say is that in six years of e92 ownership I seldom took the back road I mentioned above. There is rarely a day I dont in the 911. Not sure I ever really hooned my M3 CSL up there either... would have cost too much at the Osteopath and Dentist afterwards!

Kiernan wrote:

Chassis - The rear axle steering was noticeable in some tight corners, and seemed to make the car more responsive. Not a night and day difference as the car is really good without it, but certainly worth the cost - that's now been added to the order.

The C4 GTS definitely dives for apexes more eagerly than my C4s did. Could be rear wheel steer - I suspect a C4 GTS with RWS feels a lot more like a C2 GTS without RWS if you see what I mean?

Kiernan wrote:

The suspension is more of a moot point - the car was running the standard -10mm PASM and it felt really nice, verging on the supple on some roads. However, I felt in a couple of corners that it could do with a wee bit more control, so for the time being the -20mm is still on the order. The other thing is that I want the full-on GTS experience, so don't want to water it down unless necessary.

Same here about not wanting to water down the experience. I think you will find the -20mm gives you all the control you want. It isnt a bone shaker, there just isnt much 'float' and it reacts instantly to changes in the road. Somedays that is fabulous, other days not so much! Depends on the road and my mood!

Kiernan wrote:

I've changed the order back to the standard alcantara wheel and gear lever. Hey, it's always good to reduce the cost wherever possible.....

The alcantara wheel is lovely. Like the suspension though I think the extra feedback I think you get from it is sometimes welcome, sometimes not. It also gets pretty hot on warm days!

Kiernan wrote:

However, I found the standard sun visors a bit cheap, and stood out against the alcantara headlining. Of course, Porsche can fix this for £291 by covering them in alcantara. They've now been added!

I have the alcantara visors as well. It didnt seem right not having them with the fuyll GTS interior. I also went for the leather on the steering column which comes with the same constrast stitch as the rest of the car and just adds a touch more class.

Kiernan wrote:

Other than that, really enjoyed my time with the car and the proper 'sports car' feel. I'm not going to start slagging off my M4 as I think it's a fantastic car, especially for the money, but the 911 just feels that much better.

Now just got to find out when Porsche can build me a car.

You will be a happy chap. Seems like my main concerns on engine sound and ride aren't really concerns for you so I suspect it will be a total homerun! thumbsup

Kiernan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update - managed to drive a C2S manual at my OPC with the -20mm PASM sport yesterday.

From some of the comments on here I was slightly concerned that it would be too firm for road use, but in fact I was pleasantly surprised. As those who have this set up will now, it's firm for sure, but I didn't find it uncomfortable. The car had 6000 miles on the clock, so it may have loosened up slightly in that time. We purposely went down some bumpy roads, as well as those with speed bumps, and in the softer setting it was fine as long as you didn't go too fast. The upside of this is that handling on the back roads and roundabouts was absolutely fantastic; so precise and responsive.

So glad I've tried the PASM sport as I think you'd miss out on one of the things that makes the GTS so special by going for the -10mm PASM (apologies to those who have chosen this set up - just my opinion!).

The manual gearbox seemed much better than my old 2013 C2S, so overall it just confirmed that for my needs, I've made the right choice.

Also go the PEC drive booked for 23/08, so although I've still got to wait the best part of 3 months, I'm getting quite excited already.

Anyone know how often delivery times can come forward - I want my car now!

scoot
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiernan wrote:
Just a quick update - managed to drive a C2S manual at my OPC with the -20mm PASM sport yesterday.

From some of the comments on here I was slightly concerned that it would be too firm for road use, but in fact I was pleasantly surprised. As those who have this set up will now, it's firm for sure, but I didn't find it uncomfortable. The car had 6000 miles on the clock, so it may have loosened up slightly in that time. We purposely went down some bumpy roads, as well as those with speed bumps, and in the softer setting it was fine as long as you didn't go too fast. The upside of this is that handling on the back roads and roundabouts was absolutely fantastic; so precise and responsive.

So glad I've tried the PASM sport as I think you'd miss out on one of the things that makes the GTS so special by going for the -10mm PASM (apologies to those who have chosen this set up - just my opinion!).

The manual gearbox seemed much better than my old 2013 C2S, so overall it just confirmed that for my needs, I've made the right choice.

Also go the PEC drive booked for 23/08, so although I've still got to wait the best part of 3 months, I'm getting quite excited already.

Thumb Great to hear Kiernan. I loved the SPASM when I drove the GTS with it at PEC in May and it a great session to get to explore the cars handling during that session.

I agree the manual is an improvement over the MT in my 2013 C2S and look forward to getting the car.

I have had several conversations with OPC and my has pretty much stayed on track for build, it is due to complete Sept 14 and due at dealer approx 10 days later. I am so glad work is busy to take my mind off it, but no doubt as mid September approaches it will be agony, good job I have two weeks work travel booked. But that does mean I won't be able to pick up it till end of Sept at this rate which will make it worse as soon as its ready at OPC.

weejimmy
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiernan wrote:

Mine was due second week in July and arrived last week in June. It was pretty much on schedule through the build (-2 days I think), but the time allowance for it to get from the factory to the dealer was about 3 weeks. It took 1!! Hopes yours does the same.

MarineTraffic is an awesome website for tracking car transporters. I got quite obsessed watching what was leaving Emden for Sheerness!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: