Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 9
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 41
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 9
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: C4 GTS! Reply with quote

She has landed. Very enjoyable collection from Silverstone OPC. My son had great fun taking arty shots with his iPhone!

Kiernan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fantastic in carmine red. In fact, seeing your car and Palmball's has inspired me to order a new GTS today in the same colour.

I'll start a new thread shortly, but one thing is that I'd originally specced the colour coded headlight washers, but seeing your pictures has convinced me that the black ones work really well with the black headlamps. Thanks for that, your pictures have already saved me £143!

Have fun and take it steady for the first few miles.

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree. They do work! TBH I'm not big on black detailing on cars. I think it can look a bit naff, but on the GTS it all works together and the end result is really pleasing.

I fell for the Carmine red cars in the promotional videos on the Porsche YouTube channel, so it was a done deal from there. If I was getting a GTS I wanted it to be the full on GTS, hence the interior packs as well. In addition I specced the leather steering column case which comes with the same red contrast and also alcantara sunvisors to complete the theme.

One thing I've noticed is that the red really shrinks the car around you Vs my old white C4s. Feels very snug and precise. The ride is firm (I kept the standard GTS -20mm) but the seats are much nicer to sit in than the leather ones in my C4s.

Taking it very gently just now. But looking forwards to opening it up a bit!

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiernan wrote:
That looks fantastic in carmine red. In fact, seeing your car and Palmball's has inspired me to order a new GTS today in the same colour.

I'll start a new thread shortly, but one thing is that I'd originally specced the colour coded headlight washers, but seeing your pictures has convinced me that the black ones work really well with the black headlamps. Thanks for that, your pictures have already saved me £143!

Have fun and take it steady for the first few miles.

Not sure I ever posted my Spec, but in case you are unsure on anything:

Carmine Red
Alcantara® Package GTS Carmine Red in conjunction with GTS interior package
Porsche Entry & Drive
ParkAssist (front and rear) with reversing camera
Rear Wiper
Electrically folding exterior mirrors
Electric slide/tilt glass sunroof
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Front axle lift system
Rear-axle steering
GTS interior package
Cruise control
Speed limit display
Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
Light design package
HomeLink® (programmable garage door opener)
Heated multifunction steering wheel
Adaptive Sports seats Plus (18-way, electric)
Smoking package
Passenger footwell storage net
Steering column casing in leather Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Sun visors in Alcantara® Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Burmester® High-End Surround Sound-System

Never have smoked, but the lid over the storage looks much nicer (didnt spec smokers on my C4s). Thumb

Last edited by weejimmy on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

edge
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb colour, superb spec, I just love it.
Sold 2009 Boxster S
Sold Red 2013 981 S
997 Gen2 Turbo

scoot
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks fab thumbsup and I cannot wait to mine comes in approx 3months. Great spec and do love the Carmine Red cars Thumb
EX - 997.1 C2S MY2005, Manual, Sport Chrono, Atlas Grey

Darren p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: C4gts Reply with quote

Looks the dogs, would you say firm ride as in feeling every bump in the road,got to finalise my spec on Monday and might spec the - 10mm pasm if it's too firm not driven one yet only the c2s on 20s which was fine on our ( great roads)

BishBosh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Weejimmy, lovley car. thumbsup

How quick does the axle lift work?

Cheers Mark.

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: C4gts Reply with quote

Darren p wrote:
Looks the dogs, would you say firm ride as in feeling every bump in the road,got to finalise my spec on Monday and might spec the - 10mm pasm if it's too firm not driven one yet only the c2s on 20s which was fine on our ( great roads)

I dont think it's "too" hard on the -20mm. Its certainly no bone shaker and most bumps are well absorbed. Harsh ruts were quite loud, but there was no shake or shudder.

It does find more contours than the C4s did, but its also lost an element of the float that the c4s had. So that's a fair trade off.

The steering comittee went for a ride last night and found the ride fine. One thing I did notice was the complete disdain it had for undulations and quick dips etc. I watched a BMW float and rebound over a bump in the road - the GTS barely noticed it. So its firm, but superbly controlled if that makes any sense?

I think the alcantara seats help as well as they hold you better than the leather and are more compliant.

I dont like harsh riding cars and I am happy enough so far - bear in mind I've only done 20 miles in it thus far though!

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BishBosh wrote:
Great pictures Weejimmy, lovley car. thumbsup

How quick does the axle lift work?

Cheers Mark.

Maybe 10s from zero to full lift and vice versa. It is smooth when it does it. Feels weird but fun.

One thing I hadn't realised but which makes perfect sense is that when it's up it feels rock hard as the it has taken out a load of movement in the suspension. Was kindof of a 'Duh' moment when I realised, just hadn't thought aboput it before - but it means I wouldn't want to go very far with it up!

There are speed humps close to where I live - the sort that go up, along and down again and I forgot to use it on the way out last night and had no issues. But I wasnt going quickly. So it could well end up as a bit of a folly for my commuting but it does add some theatre!

Suspect I'll always use it on road where there is a raised section that isnt full width, so the wheels pass either side and the raised bit goes under the car. Thankfully there aren't many like that around here! I hated them in the C4s and always grimaced as I went over them. Never really caused an issue though!

scoot
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Weejimmy you will have to change your profile picture to be one of the GTS wheels Smile

Looking forward to hearing more on how it drives. Do you have any roadtrips planned in it for the summer?

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoot wrote:
Hey Weejimmy you will have to change your profile picture to be one of the GTS wheels Smile

Sorted! Thumb

scoot wrote:
Looking forward to hearing more on how it drives. Do you have any roadtrips planned in it for the summer?

Yes, a couple of trips planned. One to the North Devon coast which will include my favourite route across Exmoor (the B3224/3) and maybe a trip with the boy up to the Evo Triangle during the school holidays. thumbsup

scoot
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weejimmy wrote:
scoot wrote:

Sorted! Thumb

scoot wrote:

Yes, a couple of trips planned. One to the North Devon coast which will include my favourite route across Exmoor (the B3224/3) and maybe a trip with the boy up to the Evo Triangle during the school holidays. thumbsup

Pic looks fab Thumb

Cool look forward to hearing how both go and pics as well especially as you will have a cameraman with you going by the pics from the pickup thumbsup

Kiernan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: C4gts Reply with quote

weejimmy wrote:
Darren p wrote:

I dont think it's "too" hard on the -20mm. Its certainly no bone shaker and most bumps are well absorbed. Harsh ruts were quite loud, but there was no shake or shudder.

It does find more contours than the C4s did, but its also lost an element of the float that the c4s had. So that's a fair trade off.

The steering comittee went for a ride last night and found the ride fine. One thing I did notice was the complete disdain it had for undulations and quick dips etc. I watched a BMW float and rebound over a bump in the road - the GTS barely noticed it. So its firm, but superbly controlled if that makes any sense?

I think the alcantara seats help as well as they hold you better than the leather and are more compliant.

I dont like harsh riding cars and I am happy enough so far - bear in mind I've only done 20 miles in it thus far though!

Having driven the car a few more miles, how are you finding the suspension now?

Reason I ask is that I've included the -20mm suspension on my order, but I'm still in two minds over this.

Unfortunately my OPC doesn't have a GTS demo, so I'll have to get my Silverstone day in before I lock in my order. I was driving my brothers 991 C4S over the weekend with the -10mm PASM and in Sport it felt really good as it is, certainly much firmer and more direct then my M4 in Sport Plus. As long as the -20mm isn't noticeably firmer then I'll probably keep it, but it's always good to have feedback from someone who has experience of both.

I've not gone for the axle lift as my drive way is quite level and the speed bumps around my aren't too aggressive - I never had any problems with my Lotus Elise I had 10 years ago, so I confident this won't be an issue.

Cheers.

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, not much to report I'm afraid as I've had a hectic weekend transporting my son to cricket matches all over Bucks so it's not had a lot of use this weekend. And I cycled to work on Fri and today as the weather was too nice to be sat in a box!

I did take a mate for a quick 15 min spin last night though. It's going to take me a while to adjust to all the new noises and characteristics of the 3.0 TT Vs the 3.8 as currently it just feels different. I am sure I am going to like it though.

I definitely wouldn't bother the the axle life unless you live up a mountain. It seems to go up and down things just as easily as the c4s which was just -10mm from std.

There is no doubt the -20m is firm, but I think I prefer that to the float the C4s had. It makes it feel more focused and special, so if I was ordering again I'd probably stick with the -20mm. Visually I am not sure it makes a lot of difference though. Unless two were parked side by side one at -20 and one at -10 I doubt you could tell the difference.

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - My C4s is up for grabs here if anyone knows anyone after a very well specced, well cared for car!

http://www.dovehousecars.com/car/1031-porsche-911-991--3-8-carrera-4s-coupe-pdk

It went on their site so fast I am pretty sure they just washed it!

Kiernan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weejimmy wrote:
Ah, not much to report I'm afraid as I've had a hectic weekend transporting my son to cricket matches all over Bucks so it's not had a lot of use this weekend. And I cycled to work on Fri and today as the weather was too nice to be sat in a box!

I did take a mate for a quick 15 min spin last night though. It's going to take me a while to adjust to all the new noises and characteristics of the 3.0 TT Vs the 3.8 as currently it just feels different. I am sure I am going to like it though.

I definitely wouldn't bother the the axle life unless you live up a mountain. It seems to go up and down things just as easily as the c4s which was just -10mm from std.

There is no doubt the -20m is firm, but I think I prefer that to the float the C4s had. It makes it feel more focused and special, so if I was ordering again I'd probably stick with the -20mm. Visually I am not sure it makes a lot of difference though. Unless two were parked side by side one at -20 and one at -10 I doubt you could tell the difference.

Thanks for that weejimmy, I was already 99% sure that the -20mm suspension was the way forward, so your comments have pretty much settled it.

Now, do I add rear axle steer and wave goodbye to even more of my hard earned cash?

Gorsh
Trainee

2018 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kiernan"]
weejimmy wrote:

Now, do I add rear axle steer and wave goodbye to even more of my hard earned cash?

In a word - yes! It's almost universally liked by all who drive it, the demo I drove certainly turned in quicker than normal. PDCC on the other hand gets mixed opinions - I have it on mine, but I also have the -20 PASM so I'm hoping the two go together nicely. I drove a C4S with -20 and to me it was a bit harsh, I suppose it depends what the roads you use most are like.

Palmball
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks lovely weejimmy, but then I would say that!

I'm a massive advocate of the RWS (it's subtle, but feels very agile and stable just when you need those characteristics).

I'm also a big fan of PDCC, which I'm conscious is a less popular option but to me, a car that doesn't roll actually feels more comfortable. Does it feel artificial going round corners / roundabouts quickly without any roll? Possibly, but I like the surreal sensation. Maybe not one for the purists though.

Now, the ride quality on this -20mm suspension. It sure is firm. Firm in a good way though, as it's well controlled and the structure feels very solid (no noises etc). There is one aspect I'm having to get used to, and that's a higher level of vibration at high speed. It feels like a very minor wheel balance issue, with a slight shimmy through the wheel and pedals only. It could be a wheel balance slightly out (big wheels are very sensitive) so I'm getting it checked by my dealer tomorrow, however it's not the same on every surface so I suspect it's more the stiff set-up just allowing more road 'feedback' through.

Dynamically, because of the poor road surfaces we have, I would probably choose the -10mm. It would drive better with a slightly less aggressive setup as it always helps to have a degree of compliance on our roads. However, everytime I look at it I'm glad I chose the -20mm as it has a stance that's just so right.

weejimmy
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowsa. Got to drive the GTS on my normal commute today (had meetings so roadbike stayed at home) and it is fabulous. It is both more focused and yet more cultured than my 991.1 C4s was.

The ride is both firmer and yet more supple. It is in no way crashy or harsh, but you know that the road is undulating, but very little of any rutting etc comes back through the car.

I am going to have to disagree with Palmball on the -20mm. For me it feels fantastic and isn't a concern or a disappointment on any level. I like the feeling of it being hunkered down and whilst firm it is very compliant. I put the dampers into hard to see how that was ... and if anything it felt even better! No harsher but even faster reacting. I think it is the work of genius!

I went for the -20m as I wanted a 'real' GTS if you get what I mean. That's also why I went for the full GTS interior and Carmine. I wanted the full on experience. I didnt want to look back and think I had a watered down version. I was very worried about the -20mm prior to delivery but no more. I think -10mm would be a little more relaxed, but that isnt what I wanted and the -20mm just isnt harsh at all. It just feels like the car is alive.

Rear wheel steering? 100% go for it. The car feels agile and nimble on turn in. If the 4 feels this quick on its nose, the 2 must feel like a racing whippet down a drain pipe.

It feels so alive and yet planted. Alive and yet not figity.

Super, super happy. Thumb

Last edited by weejimmy on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: