Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Driver side window stopped working!!

my996

Hello again. Last winter the 996 was frozen up. I went to open the door and as you know the window automatically drops a few cms once the door handle is operated. Because of the ice the window couldn't drop in the normal manor and I heard strange noises from inside the door. Once in the car I pressed the electric windows switch to lower the window but nothing happened apart from the strange noise within the door again. Could someone please explain or and help me with the diagnosis? Thanks Julian

An electric motor in the window regulator drives a thin steel cable which in turn lowers and raises the window - the cable breaks usually due to corrosion so when you use the switch the motor pulley is rotating with part of the cable still in situ which = noise but no glass movement.

A new regulator required.

Del.

Thank you.....you'd have thought the fuse would have blown before the damage to the regulator....!! Hey ho.

You really need to whip the door trim off to confirm the cable has broken, you can get an aftermarket regulator or a used item inc` motor from a breakers.

Needless to say an OE item is expensive @ £220, aftermarket approx` £80, breakers OE inc` motor £80.

Del.

Thank again everyone. Could I ask if removing the door card is relatively easy due to the fact there is an airbag contained within it?
Obviously I don't want to activate the bag by disturbing it whilst I remove the door card. Is there a special way to do this job?
Any help/ advice will be appreciated.

Thanks del, will do but this issue has just taken second place as whilst on holiday the power steering lost all its fluid due to a busted pipe on the steering rack!😨 decided to replace the complete steering rack whilst the front sub frame has been removed....just in case!!

my996 said:
Thanks del, will do but this issue has just taken second place as whilst on holiday the power steering lost all its fluid due to a busted pipe on the steering rack!😨 decided to replace the complete steering rack whilst the front sub frame has been removed....just in case!!

STOP!!!!!!

Just replace the hard pipes that have failed, no need for the whole rack,

£37 delivered

http://www.powersteeringstore.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=porsche 911

If yours is a 3.4, take great care when dropping the rack off the steering column. the spline end of the column is coated in a delicate plastic, if you damage that you'll need to replace the whole column. Later 996 you can just replace the spline end.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back