Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cant get headlight out!!

mun802

Silverstone
Hi Guys,

Ive managed to remove O/S headlamp with 5mm socket on extension bar with ease but drivers side just seems to spin round. Is there any other access or way of removing the light?

Thanks

You'll be needing a new locking bar then, circa £11 (when you get it out)

The hex end will have rounded off.

You can either try to grab it through the aperture (but I seem to remember the hole would be too small even for the slimmest long-nosed pliers), or attack bar directly from either front or rear (remove PU or remove wheel arch liner)

Check the underside of the already removed lamp to see which looks more accessible (ie no point in accessing from wheel arch if there is a moulding on the lamp underside that obscures the locking bar from that angle)

EDIT: also, there may be an option to jam another socket on it, like a star (E-Torx), that will "bite" the remaining bar end.

Or there are sockets that are reverse threaded for removal of locking wheel bolts (thread cuts and grabs head as you unscrew)

There might be something similar in a tiny size (or make your own with a suitably threaded tube)

Less grief if that works.

Attachments

• lockbar2_156.jpg
    lockbar2_156.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,670
  • lockbar_210.jpg
    lockbar_210.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,670
Thanks GT4.
Are you saying I'll be able to get to the bar if I remove the wheel and liner?

I have edited with another suggestion (threaded head).

But to be clear on you last question, you WILL be able to access lamp underside using either of the previously mentioned methods, BUT I can't guarantee you will be able to access the bar (hence my point about checking out the lamp underside in concert with the locking table design to confirm even with underside access to the very front or rear of the lamp, that you will be able to get to the middle of the lamp underside with a screw driver etc to push the locking bar out of the way or prize it down out the way)

ie no obstructions/clear line of sight

On the optimistic side, look at that pic above, that is the front brake/caliper you can see through the gap!

Better view from wheel side (black object = lamp in situ, white block = the multiplug):

Attachments

• lockbar3_176.jpg
    lockbar3_176.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 1,640

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back