Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre Choices...

Chris G

Hey,

Getting very close to needing new tyres on my 964 now and was wondering if people had strong opinions on which tyres to run? My mate is a bit of a nerd when it comes to tyres and wheels and strongly recommends Michelin Super Sports. Anybody ran these on their 964? Have never tracked the car, but would like to one day, so mainly road use, but fast road use at that.

Thanks,

Chris

Hiya

What sizes are you looking ? I only say because i have some tyres (NEW) available for collection from Greenford? Still in their wrappers and of course never mounted. Plus properly stored

Toyo R888 Proxes – NEW and UNUSED
Tyres have never been mounted, superb deal! Stored correctly away from sunlight etc
2 x 225 45 ZR17 94W Extra Load DOT CXH8 V8M – 1015 still in their wrappers
2 x 275 40 ZR17 98W Extra Load DOT CX5N V8H – 0215

Make me an offer ?

Regards Faried

love the Yokohoma AD08 for fast road and ocassional track use. Had them on my old 964 and now on the 993.

Far superior to the Sports Contacts I had previously + imo superior to the Michelin Pilot Sport 2s, both less road noise & more grip.

Not after 888s sorry Faried.

The same friend used to swear by AD08s as well to be honest, not sure why he switched to the Super sports. What are they like in the wet? I use the car pretty much all year round, just not when theres ice/snow/salt on the roads.

Great in the wet in my experience!

I fancied something new so went with PS4 on my 18's as I have heard good things about them. Won't get to try them till next week when suspension rebuild is done though.

I've been happy with Yokohama Advan Sport V105 on 18" turbo twists in the wet & dry, under £450 fitted for 4

Ridders said:
I've been happy with Yokohama Advan Sport V105 on 18" turbo twists in the wet & dry, under £450 fitted for 4

I have these and have to say I wouldn't recommend them at all. The BEST tyre bar none in the wet but at the compromise of dry road on limit ability - they get hot too quick and loose adhesion. We are talking Proper end of near limit driving mind.

As per the others mentioned I would go PS or AD08. A mate of mine tried the PS4s on his 996 and is loving them - don't know about a 964 mind.

Stimpy said:
Ridders said:

I have these and have to say I wouldn't recommend them at all. The BEST tyre bar none in the wet but at the compromise of dry road on limit ability - they get hot too quick and loose adhesion. We are talking Proper end of near limit driving mind.

As per the others mentioned I would go PS or AD08. A mate of mine tried the PS4s on his 996 and is loving them - don't know about a 964 mind.

Thanks for the heads up Stimpy, I did notice the heat coming off the tyres after a circa 300 mile trip back North from Devon earlier this month but didn't have a problem with loss of grip. I'm on a spirited drive next week so will report back :eek:

I suppose it's the time old case of "you get what you pay for"

I paid £509 for a set of SP4 in 225/265 x 18 from Blackcircles including delivery fitting cost £20 for the set at my wheel refurb shop so £530 all in.

i have run pss (on a different car) and currently have 8k miles on some ps4's. i can't really tell the difference..

both great tyres tho, much better than the conti sc5 and sc6 equivalents and really from a totally different generation compared to the older tyres mentioned in this thread. Despite using my car alot, i do find its so rarely in real wet conditions that i will probably go for some cups next - might be worth thinking about if its a fine weather car?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back